• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1986 FBI Miami shootout recreation vid

Can you give the quick summary? Does Mireles admit how badly they all screwed up?
I listened to it when the podcast first came out and don't recall many of those details.

I think he does mention the reason why more of them didn't have long guns and that one of the long gun guys was in getting a coffee (or using the bathroom) when the call came in; he didn't hear it initially because he didn't have a handheld radio - only a radio in the car.

I was in a Rangemaster class where before a string of fire Tom Givens would tell the class, "This is how far Special Agent Grogan was when he fired at..." and then before another string, "This is how far Special Agent McNeil was when he fired at..." and again before another, "This is how far away Special Agent Orrantia was when he fired at..."

I remember thinking that those distances weren't really that far and the effect that extreme stress has on human performance.

I was in a Rangemaster class where before a string of fire Tom Givens would tell the class, "This is how far Special Agent Grogan was when he fired at..." and then before another string, "This is how far Special Agent McNeil was when he fired at..." and again before another, "This is how far away Special Agent Orrantia was when he fired at..."

I remember thinking that those distances weren't really that far and the effect that extreme stress has on human performance.
Also: running around without your gun because it flew off the seat is not a sound tactical approach.

Maybe noted above, but one takeaway by the FBI was that it would not in the future seek to engage in close quarter shootouts around vehicles and would would not engage in the tactic of using chase cars to ram/force a target vehicle off the road. It concluded that close quarter combat around vehicles was way to unpredictable. Better to maintain distance in any ensuing shoot out.

Maybe noted above, but one takeaway by the FBI was that it would not in the future seek to engage in close quarter shootouts around vehicles and would would not engage in the tactic of using chase cars to ram/force a target vehicle off the road. It concluded that close quarter combat around vehicles was way to unpredictable. Better to maintain distance in any ensuing shoot out.
IIRC, the decision to ram was made to keep the suspects from firing at an FBI car that was approaching from the opposite direction and to keep the suspects on the back road instead of getting back to the heavy traffic on the Dixieland Highway.

I thought one of the agents was with a waitress when the chase started and he had been known to be banging her.
Maybe true, maybe not?

I've just never been aware of that information (yet) in any of the reading or interviews on the event.

And maybe don't have coworkers who are out banging women when they are supposed to be working as your backup?

Pretty sure every single one of the guys involved that shooting would have not only preferred, but loved to have started it with post-nut clarity.

I thought one of the agents was with a waitress when the chase started and he had been known to be banging her.
That was an element in John Ross's novel "Unintended Consequences", but he mixed truth and artistic license with several based-on-true-cases incidents.

In his novelized version, two agents were tag-teaming a waitress.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

That was an element in John Ross's novel "Unintended Consequences", but he mixed truth and artistic license with several based-on-true-cases incidents.

Oh crap. Good call that probably is what I'm thinking of šŸ˜‚

Not sure if it's been posted here before or not, first time I've seen it.

Makes me want to re-think my using a PF-9 as a daily carry. Either that or it solidifies my thought that 7+1 rounds of 9mm is only to be used to get me the f*ck out of the situation and nothing more. I might just go back to carrying 26 rounds of 10mm [thinking]

You don't need normal capacity magazines. Brandon says so.

Back
Top Bottom