namedpipes

NES Member
I was thumbing through a stack of my Uncle's magazines and came across the 1966 Sports Afield Gun Annual, which had a state by state guide to gun laws, so of course I HAD to check out Mass.

Here is the 1966 scoop on Massachusetts:

License to Purchase: Required for handguns.

Permit to Possess: None required.

Permit to Carry: A permit is required to carry a handgun on one's person or in a vehicle.

Out of State Permits: No provision for honoring.

Handguns for Hunting: May be userd for hunting all birds and mammals except deer and migratory bird.

Report of Sales to Police: Required for handguns.

Hunting License: Resident - $4.25. Non Resident - 15.25.

Game Gun Restrictions: During deer season (open to firearms) it is illegal to possess rifles, revolvers or pistols in any woodland or field or on any highway, and it is illegal to use same on any game during this season. Only shotguns may be used for taking deer. (more on caliber estrictions related to deer hunting)

Transporting Legal Rifles and Shotguns: Gun being transported must be licensed in Mass or pursuant to statutes substantially similar to those of Mass.

Special Deer Season for Bow Hunters: Yes

Crossbows for taking Game: Not permitted.

New Hampsire's section was blank. (no, it wasn't really, pretty much in line with Mass, actually, which should be a warning to NH residents...)

So, obviously these are reported from the perspective of hunters, but the 'tude was clearly less oppressive back then. [thinking]

On another note, an Ad a few pages later, by the Valley Gun Shop pf Tujunga, CA, advertised these used guns:

1847 Colt Walker .44 cal $7.95
1873 Colt Peacemaker .45 cal $5.95
1836 Colt Texas Peterson .40 cal $6.95
1848 Colt Wells Fargo .31 cal $5.95
1860 Colt Army .44 cal $5.95
1851 Colt Navy .36 cal $5.95

Sorry, there is no phone number, but the address is 7784 Foothill, Tujunga, CA.

When I compare prices now with prices when I was in HS (includes 1966), I find a mutiplier of 5 or 7 usually pretty good. For example, a dress shirt might have been $7 then and is $50 now. That would have those guns listed for about $50. To me, this suggests a MUCH bigger collectors' market now.

I'd like to see crime stats from that time as compared to today and see how all of the "common sense gun laws" that have been enacted over the years have made us safer [rolleyes]

I was thumbing through a stack of my Uncle's magazines and came across the 1966 Sports Afield Gun Annual, which had a state by state guide to gun laws, so of course I HAD to check out Mass.

Here is the 1966 scoop on Massachusetts:

License to Purchase: Required for handguns.

Permit to Possess: None required.

Permit to Carry: A permit is required to carry a handgun on one's person or in a vehicle.

Out of State Permits: No provision for honoring.

Handguns for Hunting: May be userd for hunting all birds and mammals except deer and migratory bird.

Report of Sales to Police: Required for handguns.

Hunting License: Resident - $4.25. Non Resident - 15.25.

Game Gun Restrictions: During deer season (open to firearms) it is illegal to possess rifles, revolvers or pistols in any woodland or field or on any highway, and it is illegal to use same on any game during this season. Only shotguns may be used for taking deer. (more on caliber estrictions related to deer hunting)

Transporting Legal Rifles and Shotguns: Gun being transported must be licensed in Mass or pursuant to statutes substantially similar to those of Mass.

Special Deer Season for Bow Hunters: Yes

Crossbows for taking Game: Not permitted.

New Hampsire's section was blank. (no, it wasn't really, pretty much in line with Mass, actually, which should be a warning to NH residents...)

So, obviously these are reported from the perspective of hunters, but the 'tude was clearly less oppressive back then. [thinking]

On another note, an Ad a few pages later, by the Valley Gun Shop pf Tujunga, CA, advertised these used guns:

1847 Colt Walker .44 cal $7.95
1873 Colt Peacemaker .45 cal $5.95
1836 Colt Texas Peterson .40 cal $6.95
1848 Colt Wells Fargo .31 cal $5.95
1860 Colt Army .44 cal $5.95
1851 Colt Navy .36 cal $5.95

Sorry, there is no phone number, but the address is 7784 Foothill, Tujunga, CA.

I remember 1966 quite well and the prices listed for the guns especially the Patterson are way too low, I know because we had an 1860 Army in the family and had it appraised. I am inclined to believe that the prices quoted are for Italian copies, perhaps used.

Guns were incredibly cheap then. An artillery model luger that a friend of mine bought through the mail from Hunter's Lodge (DWM made in 1916 all orginal parts except for magazine in NRA VG condition) was 65.00. 1917 Colts and S&W's could be had for as little as 30-35.00 and S&W M&P Victory Models for around 15.00.

No, there is something definitely wrong with the prices because even then an SAA would have commanded a higher price.

Mark056

Back
Top Bottom