• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1963 Marlin 336 RC 30-30

Hi all, have a question about buying a [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Marlin 336 RC 30-30 lever action, with 3-9 Bushnell Scope with see through mounts. I'm interested in using this gun for target shooting and eventually hunting. The seller said that it was manufactured in 1963, and is selling it for $350. I'm wondering if this is a good price for a rifle of this age, and what type of regular wear I should be looking for. From some of the pictures he has sent me, it looks like the wood under the barrel has some wear and is discolored a bit. Or should I save my money and get a newer lever action, and maybe a different cal for my needs? Thanks.[/FONT]

Marlin 336 in .30-30 is a very fun gun to shoot. Km not sure about the older ones but back then things were built to last. Check the barrel rifling to see how worn down it is. Check for any rust in the action, check how the lever feels. Does it stick? Or is it smooth? Is the scope any good? Is it foggy/hazy or crystal clear?

Just keep in mind you can buy a brand new one for about the same price, give or take a few bucks.

my 336RC was manufactured in 1954....action is smooth, gun is awesome. It has been well taken care of since acquired in 1966

I can't speak to this particular gun but a 336 should work fine for target shooting in most cases. How far do you plan on shooting out to? Also, what and where are you planning on hunting?

Maybe a hundred yards or so. The hunting is something I might get into later, not sure at this point. I may end up just buying a new one. Thanks everyone.

The 336 is a great gun... (I owned one for 25+ years or so and just recently sold it), and has been noted, you can buy a branny new one for about the same money...with disclaimers [grin]

Marlin was bought out, and is now manufactured in part under Remington facilities...The "Marlingtons", as they've been nicknamed, have had some QC issues and Marlin fans haven't warmed to them...fwiw and ymmv.

For target shooting (at 100 yards...) recognize the guns strengths and weaknesses- Tube fed mags generally require round nose bullets to prevent chain reactions, though there are some "pointy" specialty rounds. The 336 excels in coming quick to aim and reliability, but I never considered it a hundred yard gun in the field without a rock solid rest, and I generally used it much like I do a rifled 12ga. Again, ymmv.

I'd just hate to see you buy it in the hopes of driving tacks at 100 (+?) and be disappointed...it's an awesome gun in it's "niche". ...and lever guns are cool ;)

Back
Top Bottom