NFA SBR engraving in Mass

I have talked to both Harry at GnWLaser and the guys over at Jack's Machine Shop in Hanson. Harry seems pretty busy and Jack's said it would be a $75 job. Anymore options for engraving in this state?

Make sure whatever you do, it meets the atf specification for depth. I want to say it has to be at least .005 deep, but i may be wrong.
Etching probably won't get you the depth you need.
Laser may or may not, depending on type.

Steve

etching can go .005 easily
at can go as deep as 1 mm when using electric current to assist. and it's fast too.

not as cheap as it used to be though. cheapest kit i could find is about 80 bucks.

but that stuff could work it's way pretty deep. my father used to etch designs into his blades even w/o assistance of electric current.

Not looking to do it myself. Just looking for other companies that offer the service greater boston/metrowest/north-south shore areas.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

for interested parties i reached out to the dudes at weapon iconography and laser engraving will not be accepted by the ATF:

The ATF does not accept laser engraving for NFA items. The laser depth is unpredictable and does not deform the metal.

i did not know this--so if anyone else did not; now you do!

I'm still working out the details. I'm goi g to hopefully have a little shop soon. The ATF cashed my check and now the waiting begins. It will be inexpensive due to limited shop hours.

I'm still working out the details. I'm goi g to hopefully have a little shop soon. The ATF cashed my check and now the waiting begins. It will be inexpensive due to limited shop hours.

let me know when you're GTG, if i don't have it done by then you'll be my man.

Decent write-up on calguns about DIY etching... IMO, the hardest part will the masking. Then again, there are at least a few NES members that can cut vinyl that would work...

could be interesting, but knowing me? someone would get hurt. [laugh]

could be interesting, but knowing me? someone would get hurt. [laugh]

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me in the least. [rofl2]

I have some spare power supplies that could be sacrificed towards this end. If someone wants to try it on a lower, just let me know. I might do a test on a piece of aluminum before I give my anodizing setup it's test run. Then I could test both processes on one item. Would also show how well the etching comes through.

Would you believe that I'm still waiting for my Mass License. The shop is setup but I still need to practice with the Engraver.

I don't meet with the COP until next week so a solid chance I won't have anything in hand for at least 6 months, assuming he signs off on it.

What goes on it, just my name and city/state?

Mike

Last edited:
I don't meet with the COP until next week so a solid chance I won't have anything in hand for at least 6 months, assuming he signs off on it.

What goes on it, just my name and city/state?

Mike

6 months? you wish! i'm currently at 7.

do an e-form if you can. someone reported the other day they got approval in under 4 months. spread me on toast 'cause i'm jelly.

you need the following:

individual name/trust name, city and TWO-LETTER state abbreviation where firearm is manufactured.

example:

ATILLA REVOCABLE TRUST
PLACE I LIVE, NH

0.003" minimum depth
0.0625" (1/16") minimum text height

*** from Federal Register Title 27 section 478.92 ***

So what is the consensus on getting these things engraved in MA? I'm meeting with the COP next week, hopefully all goes well.

Mike

I thought about it, but I ended up having Orion Arms do it. I think it was @$65 all-in shipping and engraving. The turn around was about a week even though their website said 2-3 weeks. Good work too.

I thought about it, but I ended up having Orion Arms do it. I think it was @$65 all-in shipping and engraving. The turn around was about a week even though their website said 2-3 weeks. Good work too.

I went with Orion for mine, too. Beat their own timeline, perfect work, and had no problem shipping direct to the anodizer I used. I was impressed....

for interested parties i reached out to the dudes at weapon iconography and laser engraving will not be accepted by the ATF:

i did not know this--so if anyone else did not; now you do!

This is COMPLETELY and utterly wrong.

CO2 laser engraving will barley strip finish. With the proper laser, you can engrave to ATF specifications with known depth and have legible characters.

Last week I did some engraving on a lower for a guy who posts on here. He seemed pretty happy with how it came out. We charged $50, which would probably right around the going rate for anything like this we would do.

Company is Jack's Machine Co, located in Hanson, MA.

I'm assuming you are talking about "manufacturing" an SBR and/or a rifle from an incomplete lower. I did't have to put anything on my Bushmaster when I made it into an SBR.

Back
Top Bottom