1940 Terni M38 Carbine completes the WW2 Collection

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Finally got a decent Carcano to fill that slot in my collection. It's a stock mismatch, but it is a Terni stock from four blocks earlier. Three cleaning rod sections are stored in the butt stock, but I only have the front piece at the moment. The stock has a slash cut out on the forend for a detachable folding bayonet like the SKS. I put a K98 sling on it as it is historically correct and saves me $70 towards a bayonet. The Germans gave the Italians permission to copy the K98 sling. The Italians simply reversed it, deleted the frosch, and added a stud to connect the holes in the loop end. Bore is very good, and it has a tall Mauser style front sight, so hopefully it will be on target at 100 yards. Need some Carcano ammo first, but I still haven't shot my DOT43 walnut or the new Brit.

My WW2 collection took surprisingly long to complete; 22 years. Other priorities, as we all know. My first one was collecting one of each K98 manufacturer.

1944 M1 Garand
1916 No. 1 Mk. III* Enfield
1930 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon
1944 DOT44 K98k (the honor went to my first one - cost $100 in 1995)
1943 T99 by Tokyo
1940 Terni M38 carbine.

I've no real interest in getting a French or Turkish piece.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3716.jpg
    IMG_3716.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 46
Nice collection.

I have to say any fan of bolt rifles would appreciate a MAS-36. It's very French, and marvel of bizarre engineering. Plus, while I love Mausers the most, but my aging eyes do appreciate a peep site.

Looking for a carcano to fall into my hands. I'm looking to finish out my major WWII representatives for small arms(rifles/carbines)
USA- 1903a3/M1garand/M1 carbine
Japan- Type 99
Germany- K98/P38
Russian- 91/30 M44
French-
Italian-
Britain/Australian/Canadian/NewZealand/India?-No4 MkII I'm sure there are other rifles covered in this section also but a No4 Enfield covers a lot of ground.
China- I have no idea what to pick for China seems like every type of surplus all the other countries did not want got tossed to China to use. Maybe a Hanyang type 88?
I don't know what the Chinese had in any great numbers but one of the vets I,talked with said China received many U.S. 1917s for lend lease program.

Last edited:
That's why I likes my beautiful Savage Enfield; covered a lot of territory.

On eBay, looks like $100 for a reproduction and $220 for an original bayonet.

t

t

YIKES! I've personally noticed eBay to be pretty stiff on bayonet prices...maybe try to find a forum that deals with that specific genre of rifle for a better price range?

t

I'm not even going to try to get into the accessories.
If they come with the purchase of a rifle so be it.
Right now only bayonet I have is for the type 99 and the mosins. I,have a norinco ak bayonet somewhere also.
I don't even bother with slings. I put usgi slings on all of them...my little way of saying thanks for the rifles

Range report. Sunny, clear, 53F - I was a little cold in a t-shirt. Everything worked fine save $21 for a box of PPU from my LGS. I have four boxes at $14.50 on their way. Also have three more clips and a cleaning rod set coming.

Even with the tall front sight, the carbine shoots high. Six shots on the right target to determine that. 14 shots on the left target, still high, and wound up aiming at the bottom of the paper to hit center. Distance was 50 yards; wonder where to aim for 100 yards?

t

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 20
What bullet weight?
So it's hitting about 6" high (go by center of group)
That's about a 450 yard "zero" so you will be approx 10" high of your aim point at 100,yards.
Any idea what these where combat zeroed for from the arsenal?
As far as I have come to under stand zeroing for issued rifles 8-10" high at 100 yards is not uncommon hand seems pretty normal.

specs...non adjustable v-notch rear, blade front. Not your regular precision arrangement.

t

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 10.23.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 10.23.51 AM.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 11
specs...non adjustable v-notch rear, blade front. Not your regular precision arrangement.

t
is this a 6 or 7mm chambering?
IIRC the italians used a low front site hold in the rear notch ?
Im just starting to look into these. I have a few more platforms I would like to get first for my WWII set.
I only know one person who has a few of these and hes tough to get a hold of these days. He happens to be a fan of the carcano and he has 2 that shoot very well. He has modified his front sight to shoot poa=poi at 100 yards

Last edited:

t
I believe I saw or read about the French doing something similar, with the MAS-36 or another contemporary piece, in that they zeroed it at the arsenal for a set distance (300 meters, maybe?) and made it so that it was only adjustable for distance, but nothing else, with the belief (which I think may have been common for some other militaries as well) that soldiers modifying their sight settings would cause more harm than good.

6.5x52. Now that you say it, I remember that Carcano's are supposed to have a low 6:00 hold.

The "0" setting on a Mauser is 150M. Soldiers were taught to aim at the enemy's belt buckle.

t

Might want to slug the bore also. PPU uses a .264 bullet and most carcanos prefer .267

Hornady sells 160gr .267 dia bullets for reloaders for that reason.

The bayonet came today. Interesting set up. It's not a switch blade. Pushing the button nearer the blade allows the blade to be pulled forward and frees it to fold under. The lower button engages the bayonet lug as do many other types. The slot under the stock is longer than the bayonet to give it lengthwise clearance to slide forward to lock up again. The rifle is well balanced with the bayonet on.

Learned not to push until the muzzle was lined up with the ring; I wasn't ready when it slipped in the first time and the front sight blade took a chunk out of my palm. Ouch!

As it didn't come with a scabbard, since I didn't see the need for one, I made an offer on eBay and got it for little more than a reproduction blade.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3789 (1).jpg
    IMG_3789 (1).jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
6.5x52. Now that you say it, I remember that Carcano's are supposed to have a low 6:00 hold.

The "0" setting on a Mauser is 150M. Soldiers were taught to aim at the enemy's belt buckle.

t

Yes some where in that area was good. Also even though the sight is set 150m thats not the actual "zero". If you start thinking in terms of Point blank Range the 8mm mauser zeroed to hit aprox 5" high at 100 yards will get you a hit on target from 0- 350 yards aiming at the belly button/belt buckle area or even mid section shot.

The bayonet came today. Interesting set up. It's not a switch blade. Pushing the button nearer the blade allows the blade to be pulled forward and frees it to fold under. The lower button engages the bayonet lug as do many other types. The slot under the stock is longer than the bayonet to give it lengthwise clearance to slide forward to lock up again. The rifle is well balanced with the bayonet on.

Learned not to push until the muzzle was lined up with the ring; I wasn't ready when it slipped in the first time and the front sight blade took a chunk out of my palm. Ouch!

As it didn't come with a scabbard, since I didn't see the need for one, I made an offer on eBay and got it for little more than a reproduction blade.

t

The one I looked at today looked just like yours. No bayonet I'm not a huge fan and the seller said it's worth $800?

Ah, no. I assume I paid retail at half that, and it is a stock mismatch.

t

It's a decent looking piece I'm just not in love with them enough. I counter offered his high value with a low ball offer.
I was just checking out the bayonets....wtf bat man! I rather spend that kind of money on some US bayonets!

A few reproductions I checked out look good on line.
No experience with these companies though.

Carcano at 100 yards. Played with the 6:00 low hold and settled at the bottom of the black with a little bit of the front sight showing. 24 rounds PPU FMJ. Not too bad; obviously better with more practice.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 10
Cash and timming came together I will be picking up a 6.5 carcan o carbine some time soon after he gets back from vaca on the 23

Back
Top Bottom