• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1939 S/42 German Luger

glockstar

NES Member
Ive been trying to do some research on a pistol I have and was wondering if anyone on here had any info they could offer on aprx. value or history. As stated it is a 1939 S/42 German Luger (all matching except for mags) and is in what I would say to be about 90-95% condition with very slight holster wear on the edges of the muzzle. From what I can gather online, 1939 was the last year that the "S" was made, more precisely for only 3 months of 1939. One thing i noticed from most of the pics I saw was that all the numbering was in white where as mine is not just normal blueing like the rest of the gun, anyone have any idea as to why? If you are into Lugers and think you can help me out more with pics just PM me your Email and ill send some, for whatever reason I have a hell of a time trying to post pics pn NES. Again any info would be great.

Thanks, G.S

The numbers are not in white. People but the marking "paint" on the numbers and markings to enhance the numbers and markings or display. It wears off after awhile. To give you a solid estimate, I would need to see some pics. I have 2 1939 S/42 's and they are great guns.

Last edited:
PM JuergenG. He's probably forgotten more about Lugers than most of us will ever know. He's a good guy too.

Consensus is, that approx. 30,000 P.08's were made under the S/42 code in 1939,
the code then changed to "42". S/42 was in use in varying scripts from 1934, whereas
the year of manufacture was coded as "K" for 1934 and "G" for 1935 (so-called K-dates
and G-dates). From 1936 the year of manufacture was "in the open". The "42" code was
used from 1939, followed by "byf" in 1941 and 1942. These codes were assigned to
Mauserwerke Oberndorf as the manufacturer.
Serial number range for the 1939 S42's is from around 4100n through 3700q.
You will find the full serial w/ suffix on the front/underside of the grip frame.
The white serials are usually done with a lacquer stick for presentation/photography.
An estimate in value can't be given in absence of detailed pics or even inspection
of the gun. However, the market value of the gun will be way different in Germany
and the U.S.; i.e. they are way more expensive on your side of the pond.
You may want to upload pictures to photobucket.com, flickr or similar
sites and link the files to NES.

You may also want to report this pistol to Jan Still's forum here
[url]http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?16764-1939-dated-mauser-military-and-police-lugers[/url]
Lots of good info found on that page and [url]http://www.lugerforum.com/[/url]

@daltrey99 & Eddie Coyle
Thanks for your kind words. Hope to be able to meet you folks again soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom