• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1917 Stock refinishing?

Spent the last week sanding and reomving all the finish on my 1917 Eddystone. Now have put 2 coats of 100% Tung Oil on the stock. After 2 coats the stock still looks very light colored and nothing like any of my military stocks. Will it eventually get a nice dark oil look or am I doing something wrong???

I'd recommend you cut your Tung Oil 50/50 with mineral spirits which will allow for better oil penetration. Let sit until all has absorbed. Use multiple coats, thickening up to 2:1. Wood is done when no more oil absorbs. A top coat of 90:10 to finish off and refresh - it's easier than 100%. This is what I did with my 98k stocks. Both stocks pictured have had about 18 coats each.

MS

s42g2.jpg

bnz8.jpg

bnzE.jpg

My stock currently looks very similar to the Mauser stock(s) in the photos. I prefer a much darker look (hides them blems). Can you add stain to the Tung Oil???

I used boiled linseed oil. Took abut 6 coats, letting them dry 24 hours between coats and rubbing with 0000 steel wool in between. The more coats you use the darker it gets.

My stock was brand new old stock, in the 'white' never had finish on it when I got it.

It came out this color when done:
17tree.jpg

and it's darkening with age. The pic was taken about 4 years ago and now it's much darker.

Last edited:
I agree with what Dennis said. BLO does indeed get darker with age and from what I remember is the correct finish for a 1917 Eddystone. I wouldn't use anything else on an American rifle.

Eddystone rebuild

After several coats of Tung Oil, I gave it three coats of Rosewood Stain. I was fairly happy with the rseults (see attached) Much better than straight Tung Oil. Now that I know better will use the Lindseed Oile next time.

Next project is a Mosin Nagant M-91/30. Finish on the furniture is pretty scratched up, so I think I sand and refinish. Any suggest on which product to use?

Attachments

• 1917a.jpg
    1917a.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 19
After several coats of Tung Oil, I gave it three coats of Rosewood Stain. I was fairly happy with the rseults (see attached) Much better than straight Tung Oil. Now that I know better will use the Lindseed Oile next time.

Next project is a Mosin Nagant M-91/30. Finish on the furniture is pretty scratched up, so I think I sand and refinish. Any suggest on which product to use?

Sand is such an ugly word when dealing with surplus rifles! If you're dead set on refinishing an old gun, don't sand it or you'll wind up with uneven shades in the wood and possibly sand out stock cartouches. Use a chemical furniture stripper or Purple Power at the least. Don't forget, you're dealing with antique wood here.

As for your Mosin, its a shellac finish. If its scratched up, you can rub it down with denatured alcohol until the scratches are gone and re-apply a finish of amber shellac thinned with denatured alchol. A 50/50 mix should do it for one thick coat but you have to work fast because shellac tacks up quickly.

Last edited:
your 1917 stock looks like it's birch, but hard to really tell from the photo.

Some were made from birch and will naturally be lighter in color than it would be if it were walnut.

Agree with Ray, NEVER use sand paper unless it's way beyond help and all you want to do is to have something without splinters and gouges in it.

Back
Top Bottom