1914 Izhevsk Finn captrue?? Help with info and ID please, pics inside...

Please forgive me if I mislabel a part or misidentify anything, I am new at this. I posted this on another board but know there are a bunch of MN people here also.

Found this at the local gun show today. From what I read so far it appears to be a 1914 Izhevsk Dragoon that is a Finn capture has the "SA" mark and the "D" mark on the barrel. Dark bore but easily passes the bullet test at the muzzle. Most parts are Izhevsk "bow and arrow" marked including the bolt, bolt face, stock ring retainers, front metal band on stock, etc. Even small parts like the rear sight spring and mag spring parts have the bow and arrow on them. The reciever and barrel appear to be both 1914 and original to eachother.
The stock has a finger splice in the middle and Finn sling swivels in what appear to be standard Russian sling mounts? on the stock. The rear stock ring appears original but the front is a split ring. Top handguard does not appear to be original as it has brass endcaps?? Also, there was some old corrosion pitting under the handguard but it was scrubbed and is not active.

I cannot find ANY import mark on it, nor is there any typical refurb mark like my other MNs. I assume the sling is incorrect and I now need to find a correct cleaning rod and bayonet for it as well as a sling.

Pics:

Overall:
IMG_0224.jpg

Barrel stamp:
Nagantbarrelstamp.jpg

SA and another mark on side:
NagantSAside.jpg

Curved rear sight with the numbers 2,3,4,5 1/2,7 and 8 1/2 on the side of the sight.
Nagantrearsight.jpg

Star mark on stock?? No clue on this, anyone want to educate me please?
Nagantstockstar.jpg

I have other pics but did not want to go crazy.

Any idea on rarity? other information on it? Worth? Cant wait to shoot it tomorrow!! Thanks for any information you can give me.

I assume the sling is incorrect and I now need to find a correct cleaning rod and bayonet for it as well as a sling.

The sling could be "correct" as its a Finn's used gun so there really isnt a "correct" sling.... whatever was on hand, captured or improvised would have been correct.

very nice find!

I love that it retains the Imperial russian crest, let me know if its ever for sale [wink]

I'm not an expert so take this as you will. Pics are kinda tough but it looks like a finn capture Izhevsk Imperial Dragoon. Late configuration stock with Konovalov sight. "D" Barrel means the throat was opened for the finn d166 round. The other mark is a provisional black powder proof. The front band is probably a replacement from a M91/30 which is common. The rear half of the stock was probably from a Tula M91/30. The front half of the stock appears to be finn Arctic Birch? Sling appears correct. Many, if not most finn dragoons are not import marked IIRC

Congratulations, you have one of the more tougher 91s to find out there. The fact it SA marked you know the barrel has been checked or even replaced. It looks great. I am bidding on one similar on GB. I have four now but I just have to buy more. You guys know what I mean.
Nice rifle.

Happy I actually recognized it as rarer than the average Mosin and bought it. Third Mosin for me, and I see more in my future. The background to some of these guns is amazing.

Thanks for all the info.

The star on the stock is a stamp from Tula. They used the stars on post 1928 stocks and the date is under it. I can't really read the year however. 1938??

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Make sure you visit www.7.62x54R.net

They have an entire section on just markings!

Its an Izzy made receiver and it looks like the Finns or somebody along its long history placed it in a Tula stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom