1911A1

Found this on another forum:

Remaining Government Stock of WWII M1911’s Handguns to Be Sold Off to The Public…..
NEWS
Aug 17, 2015

The upcoming National Defense Authorization Act that passed committee includes a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP 1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Added as an amendment by Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, it could see potentially the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era handguns in government hands sold to the public.

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage,” Rogers said in a statement.

The lawmaker disclosed that the military currently spends about $2 per year to store 100,000 Model 1911s that are surplus to the Army’s needs. While 8,300 have been sold or disposed of in recent years – largely through the controversial Department of Defense’s 1033 Program, which offers eligible law enforcement agencies up to one pistol per full-time officer – the guns still on hand have in many cases been stored since the 1980s when they were withdrawn from service in favor of the then-new Beretta 92F (M9).

The amendment would authorize the CMP, currently just limited to selling .30-caliber and .22-caliber rifles, to receive and sell any surplus military firearm. It would not cover any surplus 1911s held by other branches such as the Navy and Air Force, or those that may linger in federal law enforcement service. The Army guns are stored at the Anniston Army Depot, in a district which Roger’s represents and is coincidentally co-located to the CMP’s regional warehouse and store, which would minimize the logistics of a transfer.

“This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/war-arti ... ublic.html

Well this is dated Aug 17? When did it actually pass through committee.

Also if it's true that the amendment changes the cmp status to ANY surplus weapon we might see more than just pistols......possibly more M14 kits among other military small arms short of automatics?

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom but what makes anybody think these will be legal to sell in MA?

Doesn't look like it's happening. I'm on my phone, so no link, but I read an article stating that the provision that would allow the CMP to sell surplus handguns got stripped out of the defense spending bill. Huge surprise...the Obama administration strongly opposed allowing handgun sales through the CMP. Anything they can do to keep "illegal guns off the street". Because I'm sure there are tons of gang bangers out there who are willing to jump through the necessary hoops to order CMP guns. It's just more idiocy, much like blocking the reimportation of Garands and M1 Carbines from Korea. It floors me that these politicians can claim to support the rights of law abiding gun owners, then do everything they possibly can to kick us in the teeth again and again.

Doesn't look like it's happening. I'm on my phone, so no link, but I read an article stating that the provision that would allow the CMP to sell surplus handguns got stripped out of the defense spending bill. Huge surprise...the Obama administration strongly opposed allowing handgun sales through the CMP. Anything they can do to keep "illegal guns off the street". Because I'm sure there are tons of gang bangers out there who are willing to jump through the necessary hoops to order CMP guns. It's just more idiocy, much like blocking the reimportation of Garands and M1 Carbines from Korea. It floors me that these politicians can claim to support the rights of law abiding gun owners, then do everything they possibly can to kick us in the teeth again and again.

i've had it with this shit. i can't WAIT until Ben Carson is president!

can someone post the actual MGL language? I can't find it.

Here ya go! Have fun buddy!! [laugh][wink]

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2014/Chapter284

It's in section 59 (b), about 2/3 of the way down the page.

A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11.

Sections 23, 24, 33, 35A, 35B, 41, 46, 47, 49, 52, 54, 58, 59, 60, 63, 68, 71 and 91 shall take effect on January 1, 2021.

This is from the CMP newsletter I received today:

"The legislation on the 1911 pistols has passed the House. The Senate plans to take it up next week. If it passes, then it will head to the President's desk. If signed, we will meet with the Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers."

Maybe there is hope yet.

This is from the CMP newsletter I received today:

"The legislation on the 1911 pistols has passed the House. The Senate plans to take it up next week. If it passes, then it will head to the President's desk. If signed, we will meet with the Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers."

Maybe there is hope yet.

Uh, yeah "to the president's desk". King O doesn't want anyone to own firearms. I would expect a veto. He would much rather see all the 1911's incinerated than to preserve history.

Especially after what happened today in OR and his speech. HOWEVER, we are ALREADY checked out through CMPs application process. There is no real reason not to deny it, but then again, there are the South Korean M1s in eternal limbo.

T

Last edited:
Especially after what happened today in OR and his speech. HOWEVER, we are ALREADY checked out through CMPs application process. There is no real reason not to deny it, but then again, there are the South Korean M1s in eternal limbo.

T

The issue with the Korean M1s are what is there still is owned by Korea or so they say. The other M1s that have been returned where on loan or lease and returned to the U.S. Army.
If Korea decided the M1s they do have where in deed on loan and returned them to the US army they would end up going to the cmp.
We would probably be sick for days if we knew how many rifles where sold out right to other countries and for how much by our own us army/gov

From the CMP - Posted on October 8th.

[h=5]CMP North Store[/h]October 8 at 5:02pm ·

An update on the 1911’s…IT HAS PASSED THE SENATE!
The legislation has passed both the House and Senate. It will now head to the President’s desk for signature. If signed, we will meet with Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers.
Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

https://www.facebook.com/CMP-North-Store-189338667811468/timeline/

Anybody think Obama will sign it? (LOL)

Its not a stand alone bill for the President to sign, its part of the Defense Authorization bill. Its more likely to be signed than not as long as there aren't any retarded amendments in it like they'd tried in the past.

The Korean M1s are owned by Korea and would be imported by commercial companies here, not the Army, so they would never go to the CMP if the import ban was lifted. They'd go to places like Century Arms, Royal Tiger, etc. like any other imported milsurp.

Just throwing this out there. If the Military have these 1911's in storage I wonder if there will be any surplus 45 cal. ammo making an appearance?

I'm going to guess there is little 45cap surplus in U.S. inventory that they are going to give up anyway.
The cmp still has to become a FFL. Let's hope the cmp gets a full blown FFL and can sell anything they want and come up with some great prices on all guns. Let's hope the CMP takes it a step more and gets into the import game. Then maybe those M1s and carbine can be brought home from around the world that are no longer owned by US.
Also maybe get some of the parts kits out there too.

Back
Top Bottom