1911?

So, in a few months when I can start shopping, I think I'll be looking at a 1911 to start my collection. I'd love to get a Springfield, but since they're not legal in MA I have to choose between SW or Para-Ordinance. What do you all think? SW1911 or Para-ordinance 1911?

S&W is my choice. I have two but don't have a Para. Is this your FIRST handgun? The 1911 is my current favorite handgun... but I don't think it should be someone's first IMHO.

I would go with S&W over the Para. i agree with Lugnut though, A 1911, while an awesome choice, is not the *best* choice for a first hand gun. I would go with a Ruger 22 pistol, which is what I did, and Ive been nothing but happy.

I would go with S&W over the Para. i agree with Lugnut though, A 1911, while an awesome choice, is not the *best* choice for a first hand gun. I would go with a Ruger 22 pistol, which is what I did, and Ive been nothing but happy.

No not my first. I owned a Glock 17 while I was living in California. I had a friend who had a Springfield and let me put a fair amount of rounds through it. I was considering going with Glock again, but I wasn't that crazy about it and really loved the 1911. Any other suggestions for the first addition to my new collection?

My fiance and I are taking this safety course on Sunday to get the LTC process rolling and I wanted to start her off with something smaller. Her dad taught her to shoot when she was young, but its been years and I didn't want for her to get in over her head.

Last edited:
If that's the case a S&W 1911 is a great choice. Check out the DK 1911 (not performance center).

Your fiance- Ruger MkII .22... you can enjoy it too.

No not my first. I owned a Glock 17 while I was living in California. I had a friend who had a Springfield and let me put a fair amount of rounds through it. I was considering going with Glock again, but I wasn't that crazy about it and really loved the 1911. Any other suggestions for the first addition to my new collection?

My fiance and I are taking this safety course on Sunday and I wanted to start her off with something smaller. Her dad taught her to shoot when she was young, but its been years and I didn't want for her to get in over her head.

get another glock!! Im hooked!

They don't have much of a following but I've read pretty good things about Rock Island Armory/Armscor 1911s, which are available to us here as well.

They don't have much of a following but I've read pretty good things about Rock Island Armory/Armscor 1911s, which are available to us here as well.

They are? Where?

S&W makes a heck of a 1911, and would be my choice for a newbie. The Para's seem to need some break-in, and can tend to be very finicky with different bullet types.

If you have to have a new one, I'd go with a S&W. However, there are Colts available on the used market. Plan on hitting some of the larger gun shows and any/every gun shop you can find. You never know what you might find....

They are? Where?

S&W makes a heck of a 1911, and would be my choice for a newbie. The Para's seem to need some break-in, and can tend to be very finicky with different bullet types.

Armscor's RIA 1911's are (alphabetically) the first few pistols on "the list." Armscor's website lists Lew Horton's as being their only stocking dealer in MA. I've never seen one in MA personally, but there is a basic Mil-Spec model for sale here in the Classifieds...or there was last time I looked a few days ago.

The only 1911 I've owned was a S&W and I kick myself in the arse every time I think of how I traded it away. Someday I'll grab another.

I have two older Paras and a S&W. Even with the jamming problems I've had (and still may have) with the S&W, I'm planing to buy a new S&W before the rebate/sale ends at the end of this month.

Respectfully,

jkelly

It's Ordnance; not "Ordinance." Ordnance is weapons; ordinance is a local regulation.

If you want a double-stack, S&W is out. It doesn't make an equivalent to the Para, which was the first production double-stack 1911.

If size is an issue, you'll want a single-stack. Either S&W or Para will fit that bill; however, Para makes a slick double-action that at least two PD's in this state have adopted.

If you want a classic single-action 1911, either S&W or Para will do. If that is your choice, I'd go with the S&W.

Unless, of course, you have about $3k for an SVI, which is a couple of orders of magnitude above either.

Last edited:
If that's the case a S&W 1911 is a great choice. Check out the DK 1911 (not performance center).

Your fiance- Ruger MkII .22... you can enjoy it too.

I bought a DK model and I think it shoots the same as my older stainless 5" S&W (big ugly 1911 on the slide). The magwell is nice and the adjustable sights are great, however I have not had to move them. The straight trigger is different. For the extra cost of the DK model and if you are on a budget I'd reccomend the stock model. Also for shooting targets I would go all steel just for the reduction of felt recoil. Now with all of the S&W talk over I can't say enough about my Colt Combat Commander in 9MM. All time favorite gun hands down. Carries great and is very easy to shoot.

Where can one get an SVI in MA?

Sparky's would be happy to order one for you, I'm sure.

I know NET has transferred several SVI's.

And that certain calendar store would try to sell you an S&W while bemoaning the fact that it still can't get Les Baer to pay any attention to it. [rolleyes]

Do NOT expect to just stroll into a shop and see one on the shelf; it just won't happen unless the gun is there on consignment. SVI's are all special ordered, right down to the serial number.

Ask me how I know! [wink]

Last edited:
Sparky's would be happy to order one for you, I'm sure.

I know NET has transferred several SVI's.

And that certain calendar store would try to sell you an S&W while bemoaning the fact that it still can't get Les Baer to pay any attention to it. [rolleyes]

Do NOT expect to just stroll into a shop and see one on the shelf; it just won't happen unless the gun is there on consignment. SVI's are all special ordered, right down to the serial number.

Ask me how I know! [wink]

Thanx for the info, that's good to know. I am going to have a new gun bult on a Colt 1991a1 (which just picked up as a trade from a member of this site) but had that not happened, I would have looked at SVI for sure.

I vaguely recall SVI being on the MA "approved" list, but having never seen one in any shops, didn't think about them. Considering what a niche high end company they are, I wonder how they were approved when so many large manufacturers are not.

They tried.

As I understand it, it's not a matter of trying, but complying with Mass recs on guns, which most manufacturers are not willing to do for one state who demands things like loaded chamber indicators and such. Not worth their time and $$$ for one state. That's how it was explained to me at least by the reps at a few gun companies I spoke to a while back.

As I understand it, it's not a matter of trying, but complying with Mass recs on guns, which most manufacturers are not willing to do for one state who demands things like loaded chamber indicators and such. Not worth their time and $$$ for one state. That's how it was explained to me at least by the reps at a few gun companies I spoke to a while back.

Glock complied.... hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom