TheSimpleOne

NES Member
Looking into buyin a 1911....was wondering if you guys had any suggestions when it comes to brands as far as quality for the price. Im looking to spend at the most $1000. Thanks

search a little, go 'head. wont hurt.

Ruger, Remington, Springfield (if you can get a hold of one), S&W are all pretty good in the sub 1000 range.

I have both a Sig 1911 and a S&W 1911, both are flawless (both MA complaint) If you buy from a dealer, you can get the Sig's and S&W's. STAY AWAY FROM PARA ORDNANCE!

If you buy used, you can find some old Colts, a few Springfield's and a few others. I have no Exp with the Ruger and Remington, but I'm pretty confidant that work great as well.

My only beef re: SIG1911 - the extractor and some of the fire control parts are proprietary. But then again, same with S&W.

Find a used one to save a few hundo.

Ruger SR 1911, you can get it for around $700, amazing gun

The Ruger SR1911 is an amazing gun for the price range. The only thing I would suggest is investing in some nice magazines. Had a few issues with the standard Ruger ones. When using my Chip McCormick mags, the gun functions flawlessly.

Ruger or S&W E-Series. Once you get them, I would have the sights changed, but that is because I despise Novak sights. That is a very personal opinion -- you might like them.

I voted with my wallet just back in November. I bought a Sig Sauer TTT at Four Seasons for what I think was a reasonable price. I looked at the Ruger SR1911 and S&W E-Series as comparison.

Sig has the squared slide profile which makes them look like all other handguns except for other 1911's, but which makes it hard to find perfect-fitting holsters.

The Sig came with night sights standard, which you have to move up to a more-expensive model from S&W to get.

The Rugers are less expensive, but you don't get what you don't pay for. No checkering. No night sights. Good basic 1911.

I voted with my wallet just back in November. I bought a Sig Sauer TTT at Four Seasons for what I think was a reasonable price. I looked at the Ruger SR1911 and S&W E-Series as comparison.

Sig has the squared slide profile which makes them look like all other handguns except for other 1911's, but which makes it hard to find perfect-fitting holsters.

The Sig came with night sights standard, which you have to move up to a more-expensive model from S&W to get.

The Rugers are less expensive, but you don't get what you don't pay for. No checkering. No night sights. Good basic 1911.

My Sig is the TTT as well. Correct on the slide profile, make finding holsters a pain. But I had a Blackhawk that had two ribs inside, I ground them down and sanded them. Now it fits great.

All suggestions above are great 1911's, but do not forget the Rock Island Armory 1911. For $500 or so, you can purchase a 1911 that will shoot as well as a Kimber.

I have the Sig 1911 target model, Nitron finish, rosewood grips. Shoots great and looks amazing. Can find anywhere from $800-$900 new. They don't fit well in regular 1911 holsters, but they do make holsters especially for them.

Looking into buyin a 1911....was wondering if you guys had any suggestions when it comes to brands as far as quality for the price. Im looking to spend at the most $1000. Thanks

I have a SW 1911ss price point IIRC was about $750.00. It's a solid basic 1911 a good place to start the 1911 collection IMHO.

It's alot of fun to shoot, I used it as my EDC for awhile. I really like this gun, does get expensive to shoot .45acp at steel matches!!

View attachment 51905

Attachments

• 1911 Stock Grips 2.jpg
    1911 Stock Grips 2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 84
Ruger just came out with a commander sized 1911 Ruger® SR1911? Centerfire Pistol Models

Just ordered mine last week.

Oh man, that looks pissa. The price tag is what kills me though. $830 for a Ruger pistol? Ouch.

I saw an excellent shape Colt series 70 unmolested in a shop last night for $1300. [shocked] I paid $550 for the exact same gun in excellent shape back in 2000.

I think out of all the newpro 1911's I've seen lately, I would pick up an R1 stainless if I could spare the cash. I gingerly fondled one at the Powderhorn a few months back and man, that action is like butter.

Torn between the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II and the Remington r1 enhanced...I know the kimber is a little bit more but it looks outstanding. I might even save up a little bit more and get the desert warrior! Amazingly looking weapon.

I have 3 sw's. 1911 eseries tactical 5" stainless. It's awesome. I also have the pro series 9mm. I know, it's blasphemy. Shoots like a dream. Also 5" stainless. Last one is the allow frame commander style 4.25" alloy frame. Carry gun. Shoots real nice. Yup. I carry a 1911. Not a pansy compact. So it depends on what u want it for. Also sig sauer just got some complaints into ma. Not all. Waiting for the scorpion

Being a Newb, with the 1911's, I was looking for an entry level model that was historically accurate and mechanically reliable without a hefty price. The historical accuracy was a big factor for me. I chose a Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911A1. Pretty close to the GI A1. I put 150 rounds of 230 gr. JRB through it the first day, and it ran great! Not one single glitch. Nadda, zero, zip. And that was with the factory mag and WWB ammo. In fact the trigger felt a little stiff and the slide release was very tight, but as I shot it, everything just smoothed out. Very pleased!

Being a Newb, with the 1911's, I was looking for an entry level model that was historically accurate and mechanically reliable without a hefty price. The historical accuracy was a big factor for me. I chose a Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911A1. Pretty close to the GI A1. I put 150 rounds of 230 gr. JRB through it the first day, and it ran great! Not one single glitch. Nadda, zero, zip. And that was with the factory mag and WWB ammo. In fact the trigger felt a little stiff and the slide release was very tight, but as I shot it, everything just smoothed out. Very pleased!

I'm still happy with mine after over a year, chose it for the same reasons. I've gone through over a thousand rounds of mixed bag FMJ and a few boxes of JHP with only one issue... the factory mag gave me a few FTF after being loaded for a month. I've switched to McCormick & Wilson mags and no further issues.

+1 for R1
e9evehup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom