• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 - What grips are you using?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'd like to find a nice set of grips for my new Colt Defender as I'd like to remove the Hogue wrap around grips. They seem a little bulky to me when carrying. I was thinking slim line, but not sure if I want to replace the bushings for the screws.

What are some grip makers you like for your 1911s. I figure most manufacturers that make full size 1911 grips will also make grips for Officer or Compact 1911s as well.

Also, what is your opinion concerning checkered or smooth grips for CCW? Depending on holster I'm thinking that checkering could be a PITA rubbing against your skin.

I almost always pocket carry, so this is my first venture with IWB carry of a larger handgun.

Thanks

One of my Kimbers came with the Hogue wrap arounds also. I liked them for range/target use but that was it. I went with Ajax white polymer (immitation ivory) double diamond checkered pattern and had a subtle Texas Star concho inlayed into them (Hey Texans are state proud!) anyways, they are modestly priced, nice quality and the Ajax line has a wide selection. Theres tons of grips out there for 1911's though. As for carry, I went the opposite direction of you, I started off with a full size 1911 carried inside a Milt Sparks IWB. My holster had a high side that provided a barrier between the pistol and my side, so I never had any complaints with it rubbing against me. I later went to pocket carry because its just so easy and therefore always on me, plus in winter, it rides in a coat pocket, much easier. Just my .02

Also, and I'm sure you know this, there is a huge difference in comfort/price with the quality IWB holsters. Anything you get from Milt Sparks is going to be top-tier, and if you want to go up from there, look for 5-shot leather, hes a one man shop that produces some amazing holsters with your immagination being the only limmit as to what he can do for custom work.

On my Ruger 1911 Hogue rubber grip slabs, on an older 1911 the original worn wood grips.

I run VZ on all my 1911 full size and compacts, OWB and IWB. Now granted I only run 2 different holsters when I carry 1911's. I can see where a very aggressive grip could be uncomfortable should it rub.

My TTT came with burled maple grips which I liked a lot but I wanted a bit more grip without hurting my hands and I liked the black:
65130932_zps23e6916a.jpg

I bought these from Wilson Combat and I love the look and feel of them: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Grips-Full-Size-Black-Rubber-Double-Diamond/productinfo/NW275/

My TTT with new grips:
3DDF6CE7-orig_zps8cf413e9.jpg

I put the Magpul 1911 grips on my Remington. Feels like a slim set of grips without having to put special bushings on.

I've got a sw1911 and just gave the Magpul grips a shot. I like them. While I would ideally like VZ grips, it was hard to pass up the price of the magpuls for $17/shipped on eBay. I have smaller hands, I like that they are slim but use the stock screws and bushings. I also like the mag release cutout, like the VZ/10-8 grips. They are grippy, but not sticky like the hogue/pachmayer rubber grips. Worth a shot, and if you hate them....it's still under 20 bucks.
2yga2eme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raasco grips .com. I like the slim grips , but he makes both. Tons of colors to choose from and really good checkering. If you try them be sure to answer all of the questions asked like "ambi mag cut"

I like Esmeralda's grips but they may not be your choice for a carry gun.

She made these for me...her first attempt at a tartan pattern.

I've got VZ grips on my match gun. But if I was going to do it again, I'd probably get smooth Alumagrips and add grip tape instead.

Not sure what wood that is such that they're > $300. Most of the ones I see him post (the for-sale list is always up-to-date, and changes daily) are $200 and under. Still too rich for my blood, too. I have the OEM grips on the my TTT (similar to above) and like 'em fine for now.

Love my Ergo Warrior Sure-Grips... for $20.

833518.jpg

I had my RIA 1911 Commander for a month or so, when I changed the stock smooth grips ,to
Pachmeyer rubber/walnut wrap around with finger groves. It made a world of difference for me.
The new grips felt way more secure and comfortable, fit my hand a lot better also. I love'm.

....................Jack

Back
Top Bottom