1911 tune up before carry - what to have done?

I just bought a used Colt Defender I plan to carry. Before I carry it full time, I plan to bring it to a gunsmith and have a little work done. What would you suggest I have done to increase reliability and function?

It's going in primarily to have a beavertail grip safety added, because I find I get a bit of hammer bite from such a small/light frame.

The trigger has had some work done and seems acceptable, no reason to mess with it.

I'm considering changing the thumb safety, as I find this one digs into me when carrying. Thoughts?

The gun has stock Novak (I think) white dot combat sights. I was considering having them changed to either night sights, or to the same flat back/red fiber optic front I have on my full size 1911. But Im putting a crimson trace grip on it, so Im not sure its worth the money to upgrade.

Should I do anything with the springs? The gun is fairly new and I haven't had any problems, but maybe its prudence for a carry gun to know exactly what's in it?

Same question with the extractor - is it worth getting a Wilson bullet proof replacement, just in case?

Thanks for the help guys!

TD

Last edited:
Unless its jamming, don't go nuts replacing parts. Replace the safety if it bugs you and go to town.

Not sure if the Defender uses the same mags, but the CMC Officer's 7 round mags I used worked great back when I had my officer's models.

Leave the sights, lasers, and all that stuff to the mall ninjas, unless the sights that are on there bug you.

ETA- The beavertail is a good idea, too. The stock one will give you "snakebite" marks, lol.

-Mike

Last edited:
There are only about 500rds through that, I can't imagine you would need to change anything, unless it's just personal mods. I have a Wilson combat extended slide release and thumb safety for that I you want. They are both stainless. Let me know.

I need to learn not to limp wrist the damn thing, otherwise I haven't had any issues with it - about 200 rounds down the tube and counting. Sweet little gun, just want to make sure that it's going to be bombproof when I carry.

Shoot it a bunch, see how it preforms. Polish the breech face, feed ramp/barrel throat and thats about it. I wouldnt start changing parts just yet.

As I said, no reliability issues so far as I can tell. It's going to the gunsmith anyway to get a beavertail grip safety, and I'm looking for input as to any other work that may be prudent to have done while its in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom