1911 trigger malfunction

Neptune Cat

NES Member
I was at the range last night working on my rapid fire for a bulls-eye match coming up this weekend. I was shooting 5 round strings and on 5 occasions I had a malfunction on the last round. After my fourth round fired the case was ejected and a new cartridge was loaded just as it should, but the trigger was locked. What I mean is that the trigger would not move. I switched to a two hand hold to make sure the grip safety was activated and still couldn't move the trigger. I checked the slide to make sure it was all the way forward, and it was. I then pushed on the magazine and the trigger worked and the cartridge fired. This happend 5 times with two different magazines.

This is a custom built 1911 by David Sams and has had about 4000 rounds through it with just a few problems here and there. The magazines don't usually drop free and often the slide does not lock back. I am using metal form magazines. This problem just started last night and I'm going to give the pistol and magazines a nice bubble bath tonight to see if that helps. This gun is cleaned often, at least after every 180 rounds.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

Sounds like the trigger wasn't resetting on the last round. I had this problem when using Chip McCormick 8 round Mags. Never figured out the mechanics other than the mag seemed to shift with only one round in it enough to hinder the trigger from resetting. To test it try pulling the trigger forward when it locks up. If it frees up and fires you have solved the problem. Switch to Wilson mags....

Hmmm

It never occurred to me that the trigger may not be resetting. Seems like an obvious possibility. I'm a little embarrassed. I'll keep an eye on that.

Thank you!!

Trigger bow most likely. Gets some Dychem or a Sharpie market and mark up the sides of the magazines and see if you get rubbing. CMC mags can be iffy. I liek Metalform with the rounded follower for Bullseye.

Back
Top Bottom