• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 style build

I am finding myself looking for a CCW piece. I would like to get a Mustang or a Sig 238. While I don't mind a 380, I am interested in seeing the feasibility of building a small 9mm based on the 1911 platform for cheaper or similar price. I find that thin short gripped guns hid well on my frame. I am unfarmiliar with the sizing of 1911's but guess I am looking for an officers size.Basicly a single stack 9mm with no less than a 6rd mag. And of course looking to do this as low budget as possible (is 400-500 possible).

P.S. I know I should talk to John

Custom gun + low budget don't go together. The only way you could build something for 400-500 is to do it all yourself and really scrounge.

Look at Star model BM, BKM or B (thought that may be big for carry) Also check out Llama pistols...

1911 style guns (though the internals are different) that are cheap and you can tune it how you want.

As said, you wont be able to build one cheaper than the commercial guys.

Alternatively, find a non-working 1911 commander, norinco, something with the finish all destroyed, and you can sort of achieve what you want. Your price ceiling is making this kind of hard.

smith and wesson 39-2 single stack 1911ish ? closest thing I can think of. Prices are allover the place 300+
colt defender in 9mm- MA compliant ? under 1k
S&W 1911 9mm pro 1k plus
I looked for a Colt 9mm conversion kit----the few I found where 500.00 ??
I tossed The idea of building a 9mm 1911 after I pieced together 1911 with a used frame and parts that went on sale from brownells. it took a long time and still ended up costing as much as a new gun. I lucked out and sold that gun to another project needy person. Minus the gunsmith fees I broke even.
I will consider the S&W 9mm 1911 if they make a non PRO series

You will not save all that much assembling yourself and purchasing tools would eat up any savings anyway.
Purchase something used if you are looking for a sub compact 9mm and not a 1911. The 1911 can have reliability problems in a sub compact 9mm. It is also very hard to find 9mm 1911 sub compact parts and they will cost more if you do, there are not many parts available to the home builder and these guns are hard to get running after the build. Look into a S&W 2nd or 3rd gen like any of the 3.5 barreled guns not a 1911 however it might fit the bill for what you are looking for and in the your price range

Sig p238. Like a mini 1911, and will be more reliable and far cheaper than building a compact 1911 9mm, as I don't see it happening for under $500. It takes a lot of skill to get a compact 1911 to run, especially if you haven't done it before.

I know, but keeping my ammo needs consolidated to 9mm and staying with a safe action (sigma is my current) is not so bad. I have only held a 26, but it fits comfortably. A small 1911 would be filling two things (small 9mm/380 and 1911 style) on my wish list, and I would get to build another gun. The more important of the two is a small CCW.

If I am buying, preference says (budget says):
1. (3)Sig 238
2. (2)Colt Mustang
3. (1)G26

Back
Top Bottom