• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Slide sight cut

Ely

I am going to buy a slide to go with my Caspian frame that I got off the GB. What is the best all around sight cut for the front and rear sights?

This is my first pistol build.
AR, easy build
AK, little rougher build
M1911?.....

Back on topic....usually a Bomar cut for a target gun to utilize larger adjustable sites, For a carry or "action" type competition Novak cut.....

Building a 1911 is nothing like an AR - that's just assembly. AK is a little more rigorous, but nothing like a 1911. There will be no presses or hammers used. Building a 1911 is machining. Lots of patience, files, sand paper and stones. Or an endmill and other tooling for sight cuts. Also, there is no such thing as "drop in" on a 1911. If the part does "drop in" it wont live for long and likely wont preform all that well.

ETA: before the die hards jump all over me, yes, some parts do just drop in. Main spring housing, hammer strut (sometimes), trigger (sometimes), recoil spring, hammer spring, recoil plug (sometimes). The major action and control parts, however, do and should not.

Last edited:
As you mentioned, some parts are more prone to drop in. Even those can require some fitting to the pistol. Never assume that a piece will just drop in without at least some work to get it right.

IMO, the only way to get true 'drop-in' parts is if they're made by the same company that made the rest of the pistol, and are made to drop in. Those won't come cheap though. Even then, there's a high chance at least a bit of fitting will need to be done.

On the plus side, once the parts are fitted to the rest of the gun, you shouldn't need to worry about them again.

For the OP, pick quality parts and have a top shelf smith do the fitting (if you're not able to do it yourself).

Back
Top Bottom