• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 slide release question

I've noticed that the slide release on my 1911 has worked it's way out twice within the last 100 rounds. This of course causes the slide to jam. Question is, what holds it in under normal conditions?
Seems that the channel cut into the inside of the slide holds the piece. There does seem to be a very small amount of slop compared to a friends 1911. What could be causing this? It must be sliding out just when the slide is in the proper position for takedown.
Should I just replace the slide release or could there be wear in the slide itself?

It's held in by a plunger and spring.
Here's what the plunger tube looks like.
The other end also has a plunger that acts as the safety detent.

0308-1911-14-C.jpg

Last edited:
The slide stop is prevented from moving out of the frame by a tab which bears against the inside of the slide as shown in this photo. The plunger tube may keep it from moving up and locking the slide back prematurely.

slidestop.jpg

Is the slide stop coming out while you're firing, or while you're loading the first round with your finger indexed on the frame?

Are you left handed and pressing it out with your right thumb while firing?

It's held in by a plunger and spring.
Here's what the plunger tube looks like.
The other end also has a plunger that acts as the safety detent.

0308-1911-14-C.jpg

That is what it looks like, but that one is very non-standard. Most of them are staked into the frame. Which if done right, works fine... if not done right... it's pretty much the achilles heel of the entire 1911 design.

-Mike

That is what it looks like, but that one is very non-standard. Most of them are staked into the frame. Which if done right, works fine... if not done right... it's pretty much the achilles heel of the entire 1911 design.

-Mike

If it's a major concern, Michiguns makes a four-post plunger tube and jig for drilling the two extra holes.

bill o had it right, the slidestop has to line up with the notch on the slide to be removed from the frame. It is not impossible to have this either worn or altered incorrectly by someone, usually to prevent bump lock. Just be sure to get the right caliber for you needs and don't get the EGW oversized one since it may alter the lock up of your barrel.

Very interesting slide release - I've never seen one that screws on. As mentioned, the traditional design is staked on. If you look at a 1911 frame, you'll see that the sides of the frame are completely flat when the grip screw busings and plunger tube are removed, so making this a separate part was a manufacturing technique from the old pre-CNC days. The SVI (and perhaps some other brands, not sure) single stack plunger tube is actually part of the frame as CNC technique reduces the benefit of a "both sides flat" design, and allows drilling the longitudinal hole while the tube is actually part of the gun.

Traditional 1911 grips actually come up over the tube - as a bit of redundancy to hold it in place if the staking works loose.

I had the same problem with both my SW1911s. I shoot left handed, two hands, thumbs forward. My right thumb was pressing against the end of the side release on the right side of the frame and causing it to travel inward and lock the slide back. My gunsmith ( Greg Derr ) ground down the end of the slide release flush with the frame and opened the hole in the frame so that there was still access to push it out to disassemble the gun. End of problem.

Back
Top Bottom