• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 shooting low and left?

All right guys, need help from the 1911 users. I bought a S&W 1911ES a few months back and have been struggling with it. I shoots low and left. I am trying to figure out if it is me or the sights. If I go back to the Glock 19 dead on.I checked the pie chart, my fundamentals are good, nice groups low and left. Thought maybe it was the short grip frame but I am leaning towards the sights.Honestly I would just switch back to the Glock 19, but the 1911 seems to fit my hands so well and feel just right.Any buddy else had this problem with there SW 1911. Maybe the stock sights are not for me.Any input is appreciated. I am going to work at it a little more, but might have to go back to the Glock.

If its got fixed sites, they may need to be adjusted. You can drift and file the front sight accordingly.

ETA: you may also consider that if you are used to a stricker fired action, like the Glock, the single action 1911 trigger may take some getting used to. You may be unwittingly pushing the trigger - concetrate on an even press straight back on the 1911. Also give the gun a couple hundred rounds to get broken in.

Last edited:
Shoot it off a rest (sandbag or something like that) and go from there. If it sucks off the rest either the sights are not set up right or something else is wrong with the gun.

-Mike

low and left for right handed shooters is common
When a shot lands left of the target for a right-handed person, it means they are squeezing the whole gun instead of just the trigger when they are firing. and low normally is indicative of recoil anticipation. a .45 is different from 9mm and as such the recoil takes some getting used to. try as stated above and put it on a bag and go from there.

Thanks everyone, all good points. Should have thought of shooting from a sandbag myself. Seems like the best starting point.

Also having another reasonable shooter put a mag through it or two will help to realize if its shooter or gun related.

Back
Top Bottom