• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 safety, what is a good option

For all of those with 1911's i want to switch my ambi safety to a single sided safety and was looking at 3 in particular. debating on just picking up the 32$ one but the more expensive ones look really nice . I need to either use some fine grit sandpaper to custom fit it but do you think there is a big difference in the two more expensive ones ?

also since i have the ambi i don't know what pin i need to get to remove the small extended portion that locks in the right side controls in a groove in the pin . i assume its a sear pin of some sort. it looks like this .
RIA1911_19.jpg

This 1rst one is from C&S for 32$
p_206037051_2.jpg

Second is from wilson bullet proof tactical at 70$
6BNBP.jpg

Third is nighthawk at 67$
490868.jpg

Last edited:
Any particular reason you want to make this switch? I have an ambi safety on an older Colt Series 70 that I used for IPSC.

Out of the three choices I see no reason to go with the more expensive ones. Have never heard any bad things about C&S.

The Wilson/Nighthawk models are twice the price. They won't do twice the job. In fact, they'll probably do a 0% better job.

I think any of the $30-$40 single sided safeties from any of the name brands (Ed Brown, Nowlin, Wilson, Caspian, etc.) are perfectly fine. I don't see a good reason to spend $70.

Any particular reason you want to make this switch? I have an ambi safety on an older Colt Series 70 that I used for IPSC.

Out of the three choices I see no reason to go with the more expensive ones. Have never heard any bad things about C&S.

i honestly don't need the ambi safety on my 1911's as i am right handed . this 9mm 1911 will be for sometimes winter carry when i feel like carrying it over my glocks , and i don't really want a safety on the outside of my IWB .

i honestly don't need the ambi safety on my 1911's as i am right handed . this 9mm 1911 will be for sometimes winter carry when i feel like carrying it over my glocks , and i don't really want a safety on the outside of my IWB .

Good enough reason as any. I probably feel the same way.

I prefer the standard safety as to the ambi-safety. Years ago I had a Colt Officer (Chip McCormick) and my elbow constantly would disengage the ambi-safety. I still trusted the grip safety but eventually installed the the original standard styled single safety. After that I felt a lot better knowing the safety stayed on.

For all of those with 1911's i want to switch my ambi safety to a single sided safety and was looking at 3 in particular. debating on just picking up the 32$ one but the more expensive ones look really nice . I need to either use some fine grit sandpaper to custom fit it but do you think there is a big difference in the two more expensive ones ?

also since i have the ambi i don't know what pin i need to get to remove the small extended portion that locks in the right side controls in a groove in the pin . i assume its a sear pin of some sort. it looks like this .
RIA1911_19.jpg

This 1rst one is from C&S for 32$
p_206037051_2.jpg

Second is from wilson bullet proof tactical at 70$
6BNBP.jpg

Third is nighthawk at 67$
490868.jpg

The right hand portion of the safety will be easy to remove once you remove the left side. You are right, the slotted pin is a special sear pin made for this type of ambi safety.

These safeties are not fitted with sandpaper. You need a stone or a small fine file to fit the lug on the new safety. This is really a job for a gunsmith.

Back
Top Bottom