1911 Reliability Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% reliability is good enough for you, eh? Bullseye guns dont belong in holsters. Civilian self defense is almost never necessary beyond 10 yds, and quite rarely is beyond 10 ft. So much for any need of better than brain hit accuracy (ie 4" groups) at 10 yds. However, if you handle the situation right it's rare to have to fire at all, and even more rare to have to hit anybody, and even more rare when more than one hit is needed. Which is good reason to not bother to lug around a big, heavy clunk like a Govt Model. The mini-1911/s are considerably less reliable than the full sized gun.

I think most of this comes from the fact that everybody and their grandmother makes a 1911 copy, some of them are great, some are POS's. It also seems like alot of people "trick out" their 1911's for competitions. Super tight tolerance guns + any dust, dirt or carbon is going to cause problems compared to a loose fitting factory gun.

cant say im an expert or anything, just seen that my colt commander has been perfectly reliable for me. As long as you actually clean and lube your guns you ought to fine. I don't care, and I don't know anyone who does to try and shoot 2000 rounds through an uncleaned pistol just to say "See! It didn't make it, what a POS!"

So, what's your number? You buy a new carry gun, how many rounds before you are comfortable carrying it?

What are you carrying now and what's your round count?

To the OP: my springer has run like a dream, no excuses needed

3-4K that's my number for what i expect for reliability.

M&P40 full size in a crossbreed. Ive put about 3300 rounds through her since i got her.

IMG_0017_zpsba56b345.jpg

i dont have no fancy smancy pic of my gun a phone snap will have to do

yea yea yea i know a .40 blah blah blah. I shoot just as good as with it as i did with the 9mm i owned before.

New guns really don't need to be broken in. Proper cleaning and lube (new guns are not clean) of new guns should be all you need. I'm no expert but I think if most people who own a 1911 that was manufactured in the last 20 years would not like JMB's original design. Being loose sloppy rattlecan of a gun BUT this is why the 1911 design prevailed for so long. Strong dependable powerful and accurate enough for combat use.
I have a base S&W 1911 that gets used the most. Everything from cast reloads to cheap steel case ammo. It gets a cleaning once in while. Which is usually nothing more than a barrel clean. Wipe down and few drops of oil.
My S&W PC1911 is tight and smooth accurate BUT doesn't shoot the cheap ammo well. Performs best with 230gn round nose as intended...One thing about JMB's designs is that they work when made correctly. I cant think of any other guns that function asxwell as browning's designs.....well the Ak platform is tough to beat.
the ar is a close third.
Accuracy can be a debate....the 1911 wasxnot intended to be accurate. Just accurate enough.

Last edited:
Just buy a Sig 1911 [laugh]

My brother has a Sig 1911. Not a single malfunction either. He has probably put 400-500 rounds through it now.

This!

My somewhat limited experience: I liked the first Sig 1911 my wife bought me so much I bought a second one.

Both were given a pre-firing cleaning and inspection before their first trip to the range.

Both have had ~1k rounds through them since. Almost always 230g white box bulk ammo ( or what I could find, post Newtown)

Usually a wipe/oil/snake treatment after firing. Always factory Sig magazines. My daughter loves firing them too.

I have never had either of them misfire. Accuracy is improving, but that's based on my evolving skills, not the Sig.

It's too big to carry every day in assachusetts....but I would without reservations about reliability if I had better CCW concealment skills.

My opinion is if you use a machine and it is 1000 for 1000 with standard maintenance that I would classify it as 'reliable'.

Thousands of rounds fired by both my Colt's, no problems, no excuses. Google glocks blowing up for a laugh.

IMO, people picking up a low-end/cheap 1911 are getting exactly what they're paying for. A cheap POS pistol. Would you buy a Geo and expect it to be as reliable as a BMW?

Sure[rolleyes] i just picked up a RIA 9mm compact Tac. Smooth action, terrific trigger, and groupings like I've never shot before! Must be a real POS! I've owned 4 1911's, and this is by far the best out of the box unit I've shot!

3-4K that's my number for what i expect for reliability.

M&P40 full size in a crossbreed. Ive put about 3300 rounds through her since i got her.

IMG_0017_zpsba56b345.jpg

i dont have no fancy smancy pic of my gun a phone snap will have to do

yea yea yea i know a .40 blah blah blah. I shoot just as good as with it as i did with the 9mm i owned before.

So, based on the fact that you "laughed" at me for saying 1k was enough of a round count to assess reliability, I assume you have owned pistols that were flawless at 1k, but you then discovered an issue at 3-4k? I've never seen this.

For me, if you put 1k through a pistol and it never malfunctions (like my current EDC G19), I think it's good to go. If you think that makes me an idiot, I guess my only comeback is at least I don't carry a .40 *wink* j/k

So, based on the fact that you "laughed" at me for saying 1k was enough of a round count to assess reliability, I assume you have owned pistols that were flawless at 1k, but you then discovered an issue at 3-4k? I've never seen this.

For me, if you put 1k through a pistol and it never malfunctions (like my current EDC G19), I think it's good to go. If you think that makes me an idiot, I guess my only comeback is at least I don't carry a .40 *wink* j/k

Never said you were an idiot , I still considers guns with 1k down the pipe cherry. Yes IVe had guns that choked at or just after 1k. So in my opinion I just doubled the number and that's a benchmark for me in terms of reliability.

If you're fine with calling a gun flawless at 1k go ahead I choose not, but when I hear I went out to the range today and shot 200rds this gun is blah blah blah. I lol

l blame apple for all and any spelling mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom