• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 recommendations?

Saw a barely used new Colt gold cup national match in the classifieds somewhere for slightly under $900. It's the exact route I took with my currently lone 1911 and am very pleased with it.....but I'm no competitive shooter.

Just know it looks great, shoots better than me, and holds its value pretty well. Can't go wrong imo.

Link?

And
Sorry, was actually in the EE at ar15.com. Not surprised it sold.

Colt Gold Cup National Match .45ACP, $899 Shipped, trades and PayPal now accepted - AR15.COM

But I got the same exact model brand new unfired for the same price off the classifieds here not too long ago. Personally I would rather give $900 for a Colt GC over a Sig or S&W for similar money. Well within OP's budget too.

Bummer that it’s gone, but they do come and go. I’ve been looking out for an NM to add to the collection.

Fan of Springfield in that price range. Side by side with Colt and Ruger I liked it.
Or get 2 Rock Islands. They run great in my experience. Have 1 and it’s a shooter.

Hi all, am looking for a 1911 recommendation. Ballpark in the $1k-$1200 range. Looking for something which won’t need work custom work and will be good to go for a while... Thanks, John
I have a S&W E series 5 inch. It’s my first and only 1911, but it’s awesome and you can get them for under a grand now.

Yeah and for over a grand they checker the front strap.
Pocket change compared to what you would pay for an SVI.

They start at about $4K. One of the members at the Hopkinton club paid $9Kish for a high end in 38 super or supercomp.

And then there is the fotay I saw being prepped for shipment that was close to $20k, but that had engraving w/gold inlay and i think had a titanium frame so the price was to be expected.

Colt's quality is not like it used to be. If you could get a nice used Colt I would. I have A couple of Colt's, a SIG target/tactical, and a SW1911PD with the scandium frame, from before they had problems with the frames. They've all been flawless.

I've been in the market for a 1911, Couldn't swallow the price of a DW Valor when I inquired about one(2k+). Found a couple nice Springfield's but nothing I've jumped on. I'd like to keep it with a traditional slide and internal extractor.

Colt's quality is not like it used to be. If you could get a nice used Colt I would. I have A couple of Colt's, a SIG target/tactical, and a SW1911PD with the scandium frame, from before they had problems with the frames. They've all been flawless.
Armslist in NH has a few older Colt's, at what seem like reasonable prices. It's nice that the older ones are smooth; what's not nice (now or back then, is the fixed sights that require a "real" gunsmith to switch out.

i had a colt for years, then sold to fund house purchase.
I now have 2 SW 1911s one plain jane model and on Performance Center Model
I dont shoot them alot, they both shoot well and feed everyrhin g from light 185 SWC to 230 gn Ball.
The PC is night and day over the base model. i might have 3500 rounds througn each. No problems and cant complain foe the price.

I too have a S&W Scandium E-series 1911. Beautiful gun.
I've heard really great things about Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911s if you're looking for a higher-end, but still production 1911.
If anyone's a musician guitar-player, and I bet there are a few here- I liken 1911s to Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls- so many opinions and it' s a matter of feel and performance in your hands. "Nothin' felt so nice as that 1954 Colt 1911, man, when I unloaded it into that 1963 Fender Super Reverb and the '69 Marshall Stack turned up to 1911!!!!"

I have the Springfield Loaded and the Mil-Spec, along with a beautifully customized 9mm RIA.

I really like the Loaded model. Have never had any trouble with it. The only other 1911 I'd like is an original Remington Rand WWII model
but they're really expensive.

I previously had Sig XO and S&W stainless, both of which had some failures to chamber or eject at some point. S&W was fixed by
factory. Sig was just very tight tolerances.

1604123044863.png

I see a lot here about "Dan Wesson". And I've read that elsewhere. Funny story- my very first handgun in the mid 90s after getting my license, I bought a used Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. It was from Village Gun Shop in Sturbridge. It had some kind of funky interchangeable barrel. The mechanism locked up and I returned it for my money back.
I'm sure the name and experience has nothing to do with the superior quality of the current brand and their 1911s. This owner of Village Gun Shop opened a store on Route 9 on the Northborough-Westborough line. And I had heard he was gouging storage fees out of gunowners who had misfortune of whatever circumstances, and had their guns confiscated by the police.

The NEW Dan Wessons are something I can get behind.
And Fap over. Makes my pants tight.

I just put nearly 400 rounds through my P220 Legion today, and while not a traditional 1911, it’s close enough for me and a damn fine gun. Shoots better than I ever could.

Back
Top Bottom