1911 recommendations?

If you don’t mind 9mm or commander size, there’s a nice DW Valor in the classifieds at a fair price.

I've owned many and currently have 1911s from Colt, Sig and Auto Ordnance. The Colt is an old series 70 done over by Greg Derr so not in your price range but the other two are well within it. The Auto Ordnance is a bare bones military model but the Sig has all the features of a custom gun and came with 4 mags. All are good shooters and reliable. I don't own a S&W 1911 but have shot several and liked them all.

Don't own one but Dan Wesson has an excellent reputation.
I own a couple of Ruger and S&W 1911s 1n both 9mm and 45 and haven't had a single issue with them. Have a SA range officer also it's a 9mm but it's not given me any trouble either.

I do own Ruger

They're not getting a lot of love here, but the RIA's are a real value if you're just looking for a fun range toy. I bought mine cheap from someone here, swapped out the ugly factory grips for $10 rubber ones I bought online, and it's been great. Eats everything, never malfunctions, and not half bad looking. Reasonably accurate despite the crappy fixed sights.

Attachments

• RIA 1911.jpg
    RIA 1911.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 33
They're not getting a lot of love here, but the RIA's are a real value if you're just looking for a fun range toy. I bought mine cheap from someone here, swapped out the ugly factory grips for $10 rubber ones I bought online, and it's been great. Eats everything, never malfunctions, and not half bad looking. Reasonably accurate despite the crappy fixed sights.
yep, there's nothing wrong with ria. i'm still looking hard at their 10mm. retirement and a fixed income are holding me back.

Don't own one but Dan Wesson has an excellent reputation.
I own a couple of Ruger and S&W 1911s 1n both 9mm and 45 and haven't had a single issue with them. Have a SA range officer also it's a 9mm but it's not given me any trouble either.

I do own Ruger

I had a DW Guardian. Was very happy with it. Miss that one.

Another vote for the TRP.....it's what chose after all my reading on the other comparable models (E-Series, Rugers, Sigs, etc.) It's the first 'nice' 1911 I've bought, granted I'm 'late' to the 1911 game, and I have zero regrets other than I should have got it sooner....great shootin' handgun. It's a good compliment to the mil-spec RIA I've had for the past few years.

20190811_130811.jpg

Hi all, am looking for a 1911 recommendation. Ballpark in the $1k-$1200 range. Looking for something which won’t need work custom work and will be good to go for a while... Thanks, John

OP you can get a lot of 1911 for that amount. Some is a matter of preference rather than quality.

Colt - Always a good choice. Excellent quality, service and brand name
S&W E series: amazing gun for $799 on the street. Accurate and tight.
S&W Performance Center: Also accurate and tight with cool/fun features and lifetime warranty
DW - nice custom pistol feel
Sig - excellent service newish to 1911 platform but nice color finishes available

The Ruger platform is solid for the money. No frills just quality manufacture like all Ruger products. Cheaper retail so could leave you money for ammo & practice

Things that might be important to you: Ambi thumb safety, grips safety either with beavertail or without, grips safety with the "hump" (which I don't like), flared magwell, rail. At your price point you will have choices.

Have fun shopping around ad try to shoot some examples at the range before you buy.

+1 for the SA TRP family. My next .45 for sure.

I was lucky enough to get a Les Baer for my 40th bday, and I also highly recommend them, if you can find one. By far my favorite pistol that I own.

Agreed. Have about 25K rds thru mine and it’s a tank. The night sights are def getting dim now (8yrs old maybe) and will replace them soon, otherwise have only replaced the springs about 2 yrs ago and had a trigger job done on it. Can’t kill it. While replacing the springs I also added (wanted to try) a full length guide rod on my black TacOps. I really didn’t notice any difference with it (guide rod) and prolly was a waste of money but I’ll keep it for spare parts.

Just bought another one last week. Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion.

View attachment 315822View attachment 315823View attachment 315824

How do you like the Emperor Scorpion? Have you had a chance to shoot it?

I have it on my bucket list and might pick one up when 2019 bonus shows up

How do you like the Emperor Scorpion? Have you had a chance to shoot it?

I have it on my bucket list and might pick one up when 2019 bonus shows up

Not yet. Been a very busy holiday season and still dealing with injury to my dominant hand as well. I’ll get around to it eventually.

It’s just a Tac-Ops model with tan cericote and different grips. The TacOps as I’ve written a couple times before has been just a fantastic gun. I carried it daily at work for over 10 yrs and it’s never failed me.

I,have not met a 1911 manufactured correctly that did not do what it is supposed to do.
Im down to 2
SW plain jane bought used with laser grips for $650 several years ago and a SW PC 1911 to replace the PC1911 I bought in 2005 but traded it out for a browning Ultra Trap , then in 2013 replaced it with another PC.
Both shoot and feed even some of the most anemic semi wadcutter target loads along with any factory ammo flavors I have used.
Im funny though i run 230 FMJ or 185gn semi wad cutters for "service pistol" type shooting.

the only thing I can say is if you plan to carry a 1911 watch how the pistol points from a draw.
the way my hand wrapped around the grip a "rapid " draw and point the can naturally pointed off to the left , im a LH shooter.

The sigs had a bad rep because of issues a few years back, but new ones seem good, getting tempted to try one, as they have some cool models. All 3 S&Ws I’ve bought in the last few years have had to go back to S&W for something, including my 1911, minor stuff, but annoying. Nice o.w., but seems they have/had? been churning them out too quickly maybe. Ruger 1911 has been the most reliable gun I own, and most enjoyable to shoot. I had issues with plastic Rutgers, but the 1911 has been good. Anything mass manufactured may be hit or mis though, so could just be random Luck idk. Overall, I doubt much difference between major manufacture, so would focus more on what you like.

I've owned 5 or 6 Ruger SR1911 in full size and commander, only had one that had issues and had to be sent back, and that one I bought used and the previous owner had screwed it up with "aftermarket" parts. Ruger fixed it. I still have one of them, it's the only gun we own that my wife loves to shoot.

I've also owned a Sig, 2 Remington R1 Enhanced, an old Springfield mil spec, an officer sized something or other made in the Philippines. The Rugers were workhorses, and the R1 Enhanced were the slickest, most accurate. The Sig was my first 1911 and I didn't properly appreciate it so I can't really comment. For the money, you can't beat a Ruger SR1911, you'll save enough money to buy a case of ammo and a leather holster.

I’m down to only two 1911s, a mid-80s Colt Lightweight Officers and a Randall A131. I’ve owned, oh, five? Six? All different manufacturers.

I’ve never been disappointed in any of them, but the ones I’ve still got are my keepers.

I’m down to only two 1911s, a mid-80s Colt Lightweight Officers and a Randall A131. I’ve owned, oh, five? Six? All different manufacturers.

I’ve never been disappointed in any of them, but the ones I’ve still got are my keepers.

Hypo-1911itis is a real and dangerous condition. Please seek medical care immediately.

I have had several Currently favorites are a S&W performance center 5" I have also have several Sigs

I like both brands but the S&W is series 70 and the Sigs are Series 80. shooting them separately not much difference but side by side the S&W series 70 trigger is smother.

This was very apparent when both guns were new. Now that the Sig is braking in, it is a good trigger but I do not think it will ever be ad good or better then a tuned Series 70

Saw a barely used new Colt gold cup national match in the classifieds somewhere for slightly under $900. It's the exact route I took with my currently lone 1911 and am very pleased with it.....but I'm no competitive shooter.

Just know it looks great, shoots better than me, and holds its value pretty well. Can't go wrong imo.

Back
Top Bottom