1911 recommendations?

John2006

NES Member
Hi all, am looking for a 1911 recommendation. Ballpark in the $1k-$1200 range. Looking for something which won’t need work custom work and will be good to go for a while... Thanks, John

Check out Magnum Research and their models. I have one of their 1911C's and love it. Plan to get the 1911G when my budget allows. You're looking at under a grand. I got my first from Next Level in Salem, NH.

Dan Wesson, S&W, Colt. Depends on what features you want. Are you looking for a bone-standard Government Model or something with all the modern features like a flared beaver tail and a rail beneath the barrel? Flared mag well? Ambi safety?

Pick the features you want and then the market will narrow down. There's probably hundreds of 1911 makers that'll gladly take your money. Question is which one do you want?

I hear good things about the SIG 1911 line, but don't own any. If I really wanted one, I'd personally go with a RIA and customize it, because to me that's half the fun.

Dam Wesson or a Springfield Armory on sale. I love my colt rail gun, but a plastic MSH was a turn off...or save another grand and man,you can pick up some seriously nice semis for way short money. Buyers market for 1911 from 1900 ( like EB) to Wilson, nighthawk and I saw a Volkmann for $2400 a few months ago...and it still did not sell.

In 45 a Ruger is good for the money. A Springfield RO is a very good value. Colt is hit or miss. I think SW is also hit or miss. Dan Wesson is very good but a little over budget. Sig is out bc most have non traditional slide so they won't use standard 1911 holsters. Remington and Kimber seem to have quality problems. Rock Island is bargain for the money.

S&W E series
yeah, for sure. i bought one on a whim several years ago and was quite surprised. at the $700+ price point it's hard to beat. sweetest trigger i've ever encountered on an out of the box 1911, also. and runs and runs and runs. i don't own what you would call a "boutique" 1911, just run of the mill stuff, colt's, a norinco. i still have a remington r1 enhanced i bought off a guy at the range that surprised me and a couple of others i'm forgetting, but yeah, that e series really surprised me the most.

I have a Colt Competition in 45acp that I am very happy with. It has run flawlessly with both FMJ and JHP. It is right in your price range and comes with a National Match barrel, Novak fiber optic front sight and a sweet trigger. It is a series 70.1575214249618.png
It is very, very accurate.
I am not a huge fan of external extractors, so the S&W was out, although everyone I know that owns one raves about it.

Last edited:
I hear good things about the SIG 1911 line, but don't own any. If I really wanted one, I'd personally go with a RIA and customize it, because to me that's half the fun.
My sig tacops has been fantastic.

Has even shot my rookie reloads accurately and reliably.

Remington R1 enhanceds are underrated most of the time because of past QC issues.

If you want an internal extractor it's hard to beat Springfield Armory offerings around that price point. All forged vs Ruger, Remington, and Smith using forged slides and cast frames. Anything cheaper than those like a Rock Island will be all cast except for the barrel.

Colt 1911 Competition Stainless or the Sig 1911. I’ve had no issues with my Colt and have heard nothing but good things about the Sig, which I’m keeping an eye out for.

I have always been a fan of the classics. The S&Ws are nice guns in the price range, but use a proprietary extractor and they won't even sell your spares (I think they keep pulling one out of the bin until they find one that fits well to the gun). Some of the others use the more traditional internal extractor. I suggest you learn the difference and make up your own mind on this point.

Depends on what you mean "good to go for awhile". Is 5K rounds a couple years of shooting or 2 month of shooting. Couple of months Either a Dan Wesson or a used STI Trojan. Both should last a while and high round counts.

If 5K will take a couple of years, then a SW, Ruger etc will work.

I've owned Colts, SIGs, Randalls, Auto-Ords, Remingtons... etc.

That S&W E-series is legit.

My sig tacops has been fantastic.

Has even shot my rookie reloads accurately and reliably.

Agreed. Have about 25K rds thru mine and it’s a tank. The night sights are def getting dim now (8yrs old maybe) and will replace them soon, otherwise have only replaced the springs about 2 yrs ago and had a trigger job done on it. Can’t kill it. While replacing the springs I also added (wanted to try) a full length guide rod on my black TacOps. I really didn’t notice any difference with it (guide rod) and prolly was a waste of money but I’ll keep it for spare parts.

Just bought another one last week. Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion.

2701EED4-A90E-4E96-901E-E349912218B2.jpegAC02A77A-9068-4003-9FCD-6D5FEFA84229.jpeg4432D8A7-D31F-4501-B119-5A54AA2D20A4.jpeg

Last edited:
From those I have tried, Ruger and Springfield have rather crunchy triggers. Colt, SIG, S&W, and believe it or not, Remington have excellent triggers - light, crisp, short. Other aspects of the Colt don't seem as good as they used to be.

In the $1500-2K range, I like to say Dan Wesson is a $3K pistol for $1K less money. Fit and finish, smoothness, and trigger are all perfectly refined. You may find a nice used one at the top of your price range.

Avoid the off-brands - RIA, Auto Ordnance, Para, if you want excellence in manufacturing and performance.

Back
Top Bottom