• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 recommendations?

No, no! Comrade Joe & Commie-La will say "NO guns for you!" If they win, you'd better by 2 or 3 while you can.
Dude I'm already staring down an NFA tax bill in the tens of thousands if they add high capacity magazines and "assault weapons" to the NFA as they plan to...I'm tapped out!

I see a lot here about "Dan Wesson". And I've read that elsewhere. Funny story- my very first handgun in the mid 90s after getting my license, I bought a used Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. It was from Village Gun Shop in Sturbridge. It had some kind of funky interchangeable barrel. The mechanism locked up and I returned it for my money back.
I'm sure the name and experience has nothing to do with the superior quality of the current brand and their 1911s. This owner of Village Gun Shop opened a store on Route 9 on the Northborough-Westborough line. And I had heard he was gouging storage fees out of gunowners who had misfortune of whatever circumstances, and had their guns confiscated by the police.
Probably needed to set the barrel cylinder gap on the DW. Cylinder and barrel expanded and made contact with each other if I had to guess.

No, but it’s still a great gun.
Never said that it wasn't but you can't use that in a 1911 conversation because basically it's like cheating.
I see a lot here about "Dan Wesson". And I've read that elsewhere. Funny story- my very first handgun in the mid 90s after getting my license, I bought a used Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. It was from Village Gun Shop in Sturbridge. It had some kind of funky interchangeable barrel. The mechanism locked up and I returned it for my money back.
I'm sure the name and experience has nothing to do with the superior quality of the current brand and their 1911s. This owner of Village Gun Shop opened a store on Route 9 on the Northborough-Westborough line. And I had heard he was gouging storage fees out of gunowners who had misfortune of whatever circumstances, and had their guns confiscated by the police.
Aka "Dowd Extortion Warehouse". Dowd closed Village probably because he didn’t want to get his lights knocked out by the warehouse victims, er, "customers" once they saw their confiscated shit for sale in the other shop. He had another shop run interference for selling those guns. (Something artifacts?)

I hear good things about the SIG 1911 line, but don't own any. If I really wanted one, I'd personally go with a RIA and customize it, because to me that's half the fun.
Frenchy, I have two RIAs and they are solid 1911s with just enough "slop" that they will eat just about any ammo I feed them.

They're not getting a lot of love here, but the RIA's are a real value if you're just looking for a fun range toy. I bought mine cheap from someone here, swapped out the ugly factory grips for $10 rubber ones I bought online, and it's been great. Eats everything, never malfunctions, and not half bad looking. Reasonably accurate despite the crappy fixed sights.
Just about my experience with mine. I have VZ grips and upgraded sights on mine. As time goes on, I'll be replacing as many parts with Wilson parts as I can.

Is a Springfield Armory Range Officer Target in .45 a good choice? Looking for an entry level .45 and I have a chance to buy a slightly used one for a good price.

Is a Springfield Armory Range Officer Target in .45 a good choice? Looking for an entry level .45 and I have a chance to buy a slightly used one for a good price.

Is it a good pistol ? Yes, if it's low mileage and not a pile of slop. Can I ask what you think is a good price ?

Is it a good pistol ? Yes, if it's low mileage and not a pile of slop. Can I ask what you think is a good price ?
I haven't talked price with the seller yet. To be honest I want to make sure I want the gun before we get to that point (don't want to rush into anything and don't want to appear too eager).
I examined the pistol briefly yesterday at the gun club the seller and I belong to. The pistol appears to be new. The seller told me he had put about 100 rounds through it. I worked the action and dry fired it a few times and everything seems nice and tight. My next step is to buy a box of .45 and test it on the range. Would have done that yesterday but I ran out of time.
Guessing I might be able to get the gun for $650-$700. It is this model:
SA 1911 copy.jpg

On the low end, a Ruger SR 1911 is pretty good, it leaves a lot of room for "add-ons". Going on up, Colt is good. Ed Brown, excellent. Besides the purchase of the " factory pistol" , consider an expert gunsmith to massage it as you go along with it. That guy would be Dave Santurri of Santurri Ltd. I would have suggested a custom pistol by Dave, but that's out of the budget mentioned. Best of luck on the acquisition.
Walt

When you do get a 1911, immediately replace the guide rod and recoil spring with Wilson Combat components, personally I like the full length one piece guide rod. Also order a couple of Wilson Combat extractors. For magazines, Wilson Combat 47-D are the best ones I've used. Chip McMormick makes magazines, and one I liked and one I didn't, but I can't remember which.

Hi all, am looking for a 1911 recommendation. Ballpark in the $1k-$1200 range. Looking for something which won’t need work custom work and will be good to go for a while... Thanks, John
I've got one of these:

1607363425789.png

It's a Desert Eagle 1911-G, cost around 850. It has the best trigger pull in a stock trigger I've seen in a while on a pistol. Comes with two 8 round mags and has a one piece metal guide rod.

When you do get a 1911, immediately replace the guide rod and recoil spring with Wilson Combat components, personally I like the full length one piece guide rod. Also order a couple of Wilson Combat extractors. For magazines, Wilson Combat 47-D are the best ones I've used. Chip McMormick makes magazines, and one I liked and one I didn't, but I can't remember which.
I'm not sure in the .45 version, but when my wife was able to shoot a 1911 in 9mm I got a couple of the WC 47-D's since they were supposed to be "the best". We had malfunctions with them. We went back to the stock Springfield mags, and didn't have an issue. Maybe the .45 ones are better, but not sure. YMMV.

Besides the purchase of the " factory pistol" , consider an expert gunsmith to massage it as you go along with it. That guy would be Dave Santurri of Santurri Ltd.
This is solid advice. I have a Colt Competition that he gave a reliability service to, new extractor, spring, guide rod, fiber optic sights.
It is as reliable as a Glock, eats everything, and runs rings around other high end guns. The trigger is as smooth as glass and breaks beautifully.
Buy a 1911 with a match grade barrel, have him give it a little love, and when you get it back it shoots like a $3k plus 1911.

Great gun for pins and plates that will make you shake your head if you are knocking down pins or just screwing around ringing steel. More than a few buddies have said, "Wow, that's a Colt?"

This is solid advice. I have a Colt Competition that he gave a reliability service to, new extractor, spring, guide rod, fiber optic sights.
It is as reliable as a Glock, eats everything, and runs rings around other high end guns. The trigger is as smooth as glass and breaks beautifully.
Buy a 1911 with a match grade barrel, have him give it a little love, and when you get it back it shoots like a $3k plus 1911.

Great gun for pins and plates that will make you shake your head if you are knocking down pins or just screwing around ringing steel. More than a few buddies have said, "Wow, that's a Colt?"
speaking of colt competition specifically - did you have a chance, by any chance, to compare it with a cz shadow 2?

Back
Top Bottom