• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 project

After looking at all the commercial tools for squeezing the slide I decided to go a little different route. Since CNC machine vices are very ridged I figured I could use one of mine to do the squeezing. I decided to mill some hardened vice jaws with a carbide end mill into a shape I thought would work well. I used some brass shim stock to pad the jaws so the slides finish would not get damaged. This set up works very well but a lot of care is needed around the ejection port because it is very thin. I had read about cracking the slide from over tightening, this did not happen but I can see how it could. I basically tightened the jaws on the slide with a fair amount of pressure, let it sit for a few seconds and then struck the vice with a lead hammer to help it take a set. It worked well but a little to tight, some lapping took care of that.

vadanu4u.jpg

Once fitted to the frame I milled some cooling or just cool slots on the sides and a ball mill groove on the top. I then bead blasted the entire slide and sanded the sides to give it a contrast to the bead blast finish. Adjustable sights finish it off.

unegy2u8.jpg

yvebyne3.jpg

Next up hammer, sear work and final assembly.

That is frighteningly sweet!

Looks great! Squeezing the slide near the thumb safety cut out is tough, they can snap there. Also with lightening the slide, you will need to go with a heavier recoil spring if you plan on shooting the same loads before you lightened it. Too light a spring can cause excessive battering. 8 hours to checker is one reason we do it by machine now. It also comes out better. Keep up the good work.

I will never checker by hand again but I wanted to try it old school for the experience. Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from a master.

Back
Top Bottom