• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 nooB

I've just got bitten by the evil IPSC bug and want to step up to major and the Limited/Limited10 divisions with a 1911 and .45acp.
Plus, I just plain just want one!!!![bow][banana]

The plan is to try little horse trading with a G19 and some $... but thought I'd tap into some of the NES brain trust first, as I have minimal experience with 1911 platform.

So given my budget of $1,000... I'm under the impression that Sig would be tend to best in class at that range? So, if you had a grand, is there is brand/model that you wish you had and maybe more importantly are there any 1911's that you'd just plain stay away from for IPSC?

Thoughts?

Thanks
–A.

If you want to shoot a standard 1911, then you want to shoot Single Stack, not Limited or Limited 10. If you are shooting Limited, then you're probably not going to be shooting .45. And you'll spend a lot more than $1000 on a limited gun.

A decent start for Single Stack, well under $1000:

Loves-me-like-a-rock-1-SR911.jpg

A Limited gun, over $2500:

sc_limited.gif

A single stack 1911 in .45 is ok for L10, but you'd have these long skinny mags that aren't ideal for fast reloads. It wouldn't be "competitive" for limited because your mags will have 1/2 the capacity of guys with a 2011. It's ideal for single stack, but maybe 5% of shooters around here compete in that division.

Don't stress, none if it really matters anyways. Your match results are determined almost entirely by your training. The gun/gear/mag talk is 99% BS.

1911 r1 was my first gun love it .
If you like the look of a basic gi style . But want a match barrel bushing and and lowered ejection port .

I've compared my r1 to Loki's ruger. Ruger felt heavier . Yeah the r1 is a series 80 but the triggers felt the same to me.

Last edited:
I started with a SW1911 in L-10 shooting 45. Bone stock then upgraded as I learned

There are 2 ways to go about it. Get a base gun and then upgrade you need or get the gun already with upgrades, which is usually cheaper but you don't get to select your parts. I prefer to get the parts I want

You will want a fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear, Good grips ( I really prefer grip tape to any other grip) dawson magwell and good mags.

Not sure if Sig will limit your Singlestack holster choices. If you are outside of mass, I would highly recommend STI

Another +1 for the Ruger, I love mine! I am also thinking of IDPA or something along those lines, I just need to find the time to make it to a match or practice!

I'm a 1911 nut. Have many. I have a ruger, not a fan of sig at all, and have plenty smiths. My smith e-series 5" govt blows my ruger away. However, the ruger is well built and seems quite solid. Smith pro-series are well built target guns. I have 2-9mm. A friend of mine has a 45 proseries. All nice. I'd love a Kimber, colt or Wilson. Gotta hunt one down.

On a side note I wanna build an alloy 9mm commander. Need a frame

Back
Top Bottom