1911 modification question

SSW

NES Member
I have scanned the threads and can't find an answer. I am sure you guys will have this covered.

I have an E Series S&W 1911 .45acp. I absolutely love shooting and would like to really start competing with this gun. As everyone knows .45acp ammo is big $$$$$, especially shooting as much as I would like.

Excuse this question if it is obvious or oblivious, I have absolutely NO gunsmith / firearms modification experience.

I would like to shoot this platform in 9mm for practicing at the range with as close to my .45acp, weight, grip, feel, sights, as I can.

I do have other 9mms, but not a 1911 in 9mm.

So the question.

Can I buy a 9mm barrel and magazines and use my current gun with the 9mm barrel and magazines installed or is this much more involved, like a new slide, barrel bushing and internal adaptions???

Would it be better to just buy a new 1911 in 9mm?

I want to be able to practice in as comparable a set-up as my 1911 .45acp and thought about this as a possibility.

Thanks again and accept my apology if this a simpleton question.

Start re-loading the 45, there's nothing like shooting the actual gun you plan on using in competition.

Besides, unless you are bear hunting, the 9mm is useless.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

The biggest obstacle you will face is the breechface as it necessitates a new slide, which in turn means fitting a slide/barrel/frame combination. If your 1911 had an interchangeable breechface (SVI is the only one I know of that does), you would still have to deal with fitting a new barred, extractor and ejector.

There is a reason you don't see multi-caliber 1911 sets with 9mm and 40 tops in a kit with one frame. It's not cost effective.

Hi Guys

Thanks for answering so quickly. Reloading is definately something I am working on, I am making the initial investment in equipment ect. as I can. Looking at taking a class soon.

Hoped the simple barrel mag conversion would be a quick, lower cost solution, in the short term. But now I know it's not.

Thanks again for answering, yet another question!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom