• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 magazine question

I recently purchased a Remington 1911 R1S. I want to get a couple more mags. Are 1911 mags universal or do I need to buy Remington mags.
I want to get a couple more for the range. if they are universal what would you recommend for a fairly inexpensive magazine.

Thanks
Chet

If you have an special frame, or other caliber obviously they're different... but yes, universal.

I picked up a 3 pack of promags cheap a while back and they've been flawless in my Kimber. They feel cheap, but they work.

I'd suggest you get cheap and 1911 magazine out of your vocabulary.

While you can get cheap mags that work. Its frustrating to have to troubleshoot a mag problem. I once purchased a gold cup from someone who had given up on the gun. It won't f&%king run, was the prvious owner's statement to me. I got it cheap.

It ran perfectly when I replaced the assortment of crap mags with some Chip McCormick PowerMags.

I love the 10 round powermags for range use. They are about $30 each, but they work great and they last.

Don

Chip McCormick magazines are on sale on midway right now, 8rd flush mags for $15 and 10rd mags for $25. I have several and they function great. Don't buy cheap magazines are dcmdon said, I purchased some cheap ones once and had nothing but problems.

Chip McCormick Shooting Star Mag 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP

[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652828/chip-mccormick-power-mag-magazine-with-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-10-round-stainless-steel?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

[/URL]

Thanks, I want to get what works. The factory mags are only 7 I think so I wanted to get a couple more so I can spend more time shooting between reloads.
I dont believe in cheap anything. I mentioned inexpensive as I dont plan on carry for this gun so the highest reliability is not critical. I also dont want something that doesnt work either. I will check out those Chip McCormicks.

Thanks

I have had great luck with Metal Form mags. I believe they also build Chip McCormick's mags. These mags are relatively inexpensive, but function just as well as the gold plated ones.

Just make sure you don't order magazines that are Officer Sized. They won't fit in your gun. That said, I've have good luck with Wilson (ETMs), CheckMate and Tripp (like the Tripp the best). Just remember that spring wear as they are flexed, so consider mag springs a replaceable item (like recoil springs).

One issue with ETMs is that the springs wear out quickly. Wilson has just released a new MAX spring for their ETM magazines that might solve that.

I recently tried (again) Tripp 1911 magazines. Of the three that I got, two work very well. The third was delivered with a bad follower.

I recently tried (again) Tripp 1911 magazines. Of the three that I got, two work very well. The third was delivered with a bad follower.

I've had good luck with Tripps where many other mags (including factory Colts) weren't feeding quite right.

Just make sure you don't order magazines that are Officer Sized. They won't fit in your gun. That said, I've have good luck with Wilson (ETMs), CheckMate and Tripp (like the Tripp the best). Just remember that spring wear as they are flexed, so consider mag springs a replaceable item (like recoil springs).
Can you educate me on the difference. I didn.t order officer sized but I would appreciate the additional knowlege.
Thanks

Can you educate me on the difference. I didn.t order officer sized but I would appreciate the additional knowlege.
Thanks

The Officers model grip frame is shorter and as a result the Officers magazines are shorter. Officers mags won't fit into a full size 1911.

Full size 1911 mags hold either 7 or 8 rounds of 45 ACP. Officers mags hold 6 or 7 rounds of 45 ACP.

The Officers model grip frame is shorter and as a result the Officers magazines are shorter. Officers mags won't fit into a full size 1911.

Full size 1911 mags hold either 7 or 8 rounds of 45 ACP. Officers mags hold 6 or 7 rounds of 45 ACP.
Thanks again, just when i think I am done with the rookie questions, I come up with another.
I am sure I purchased the correct ones.

Chip McCormick magazines are on sale on midway right now, 8rd flush mags for $15 and 10rd mags for $25. I have several and they function great. Don't buy cheap magazines are dcmdon said, I purchased some cheap ones once and had nothing but problems.

Chip McCormick Shooting Star Mag 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP

[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652828/chip-mccormick-power-mag-magazine-with-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-10-round-stainless-steel?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

[/URL]
They came in yesterday and they seem to work as well as the factory mags.
Thanks for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom