1911 Long slide build - finishing touch

What color to make my completed 6" 1911 Target

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So before the end of last year, I completed fitting together a 1911 long slide. (frame and slide thanks to John at Remsport) I wanted to share the results of it with you. Though, it has not been finished yet. Its stainless, so I am going to go the paint route. Id like to put it to a vote on what folks think I should do as to color.

So, first some pics and background.

First here she is:
IMG_1018_zpsd3d5d561.jpg

Granted she is a little dirty. It took a few range trips to get the recoil spring worked out. They don't make standard springs for long slide 1911s. Its not like you can go grab a GI #18 and go from there. I bought the Wolff calibration pack and started in at the weakest and moved up from there. You can tell the spring weight is off by looking where/how the casings get ejected and what they look like. If they eject cleanly, tumbling to 2-3 o'clock and they aren't bashed to pieces, rim's eaten up or jam in some way, I call it done.

Well Mac, thats cute and all - but how much bigger is the 6" compared to Government model? Ok, take a look for yourself.
Here is part of the stable. From left to right, we have an officer, then a commander, then government then opposed the longs slide.

IMG_1028_zps41092d61.jpg

The officer and commander are former builds of mine, the 5" is a customized S&W.

OK OK, looks nice, Mac. But looks can be deceiving. The million dollar question with 1911s - how's the trigger pull? I am glad you asked about that trigger. The initiated will notice that the trigger on the long slide is in fact a modified Colt Gold Cup trigger. The even more experienced should be asking: how'd you make that fit in there? Gold Cup triggers are about 50% thicker than standard 1911 triggers. As I do not yet (key word being yet) a bonafide Colt Gold Cup I did not know this off the bat. I had to hand file that sucker, removing a tenth or so from each side, evenly, so it would fit into the frame. That was challenging enough, but I got there. The other sticky wicket is the over travel stop in the trigger - if I took any more material off I am pretty sure I would have started exposing the threads on the over-travel screw. In any event it works and looks pretty slick to me - I also like the aggressive serrations on that trigger, really grabs the pad on my index finger.

Ok ok, back to the trigger performance. Its very smooth - having polished the trigger bow and the grooves it slides in on the frame helped a bit, but that's not where a trigger really matters. The fire control group is where triggers are made and lost. It has to break clean, preferably light, and not be unsafe - as in no hammer follow, no run on (full auto) firing.

So how'd we do?

IMG_1032_zpsed4da536.jpg

This is the average of 10 pulls. Ill take it. Ok, so we have a purdy looking 1911 with a pretty solid competition trigger with an average a hair over #2. Nice Mac, but can it shoot? At this point in my basement tinkering - I have come to the conclusion that next to a well honed sear and hammer, the next best thing to accuracy is a tight barrel/bushing fit.

So how'd we do?

IMG_1033_zps205778d5.jpg

Isosceles stance, off hand, about 35 feet. Thats 10 rounds there, not too bad, and I'm no grand master. The thing is a bit clangy-ier than a 5" 1911 or shorter. Its heavy and recoil is pretty soft. It fits as well in the hand as any other 1911 and is a breeze to shoot.

So anyway, back to the point: what color? I like dark guns, I was thinking a SOCOM blue type color, maybe graphite, sniper gray, I dunno. A buddy suggested a plum color with red-ish grips, I can dig that. I have no intention of selling this thing, so its for me and me alone. What do you guys think? I'll try to make this a poll, but if I cant swing that - please feel free to post a color suggestion. I'll update this thread when I get around to coating it. Thanks.

IMG_1026_zps065d1408.jpg

Last edited:
Bright, mirror-like nickel plated. Do it, it'll be awesome. [wink]

I always liked the look of a longslide 1911, but I'd never carry one. Maybe you let me shoot that sweetheart at the next NES gathering and I may change my mind? [puts Mustang restoration on hold]

Something as oboxiously awesome as a LS 1911 should be shiney, like pimp bling shiney, you know, cuz GATOR DON'T PLAY NO SHIT!

tumblr_mcjjawEy031r0ndcjo1_400.gif

I say nickle plating.

Stainless is good and the gun looks great. Leave it alone. PS you should be able to find a recoil spring plug that will allow you to use five inch springs. This will give you access to a wider variety of cheaper springs. The Para .40 LS I built works great with five in 10 lb recoil springs. Brownells sells a bulk pack of ten for $30.

I like it the way it is. Bad *ss my friend. Very nice!

If you really want to color it then there are unlimited options - how about a Speckle(metal flake) BLAZE ORANGE? (do they even do that)

I'd leave it as it stands (color wise) or maybe hit the frame with a black/dark grey cerekote finish. Cobalt, graphite black, or armor black would be my thoughts. Depending on how they mate to the stainless slide of course. If you really want to cover up the stainless slide too, then get it hard chromed and put a brushed finish on it.

Last thing I would do to that gun is bling it. If you bling it keep the shiny shit off the top of the slide, you'll thank me later. Hell it looks pretty nice as it is.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom