1911 IWB Holster Advice

All:

I am increasing unhappy with my current 1911 carry holster. I have a De Santis IWB 1911 holster for my P-14 LTD and after a year of using it, I am just not happy. This is my winter carry piece. Prior to this I use to carry OWB and wear a long jacket/sweater or blazer. Any advice?

Thanks!

glad you posted this...I'm looking too.

I use an MTAC for all my other guns...I kind of want to protect my finish a little more on the 1911, even tho it's going to be hard chrome, and think I should either get leather or suede lined kydex.

The safety has never been disengaged while unholstering or holstering. None of my 1911's have extended thumb safeties though. I think your Para probably does correct? Even if so, the holster is made with an indent on the inside to allow for an extended safety.

The holster holds the gun tight. It wouldn't fall out if you dumped me upside down and shook me.

The safety has never been disengaged while unholstering or holstering. None of my 1911's have extended thumb safeties though. I think your Para probably does correct? Even if so, the holster is made with an indent on the inside to allow for an extended safety.

The holster holds the gun tight. It wouldn't fall out if you dumped me upside down and shook me.

You are correct. It does have an extended safe (something I have been thinking about replacing). Sounds good.

I second the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. I wear it on a Beltman 1.5" belt. Super comfy and the safety had never disengaged on me. Sometimes Brownell's has them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll "third" the Summer Special. I'm not a fan of IWB (and, frankly, not built for it), but I have a couple of these for full-sized autos and it is remarkably comfortable. Also one of the few IWBs I've encountered that really will put up with one-handed re-holster. If necessary, the holster can be quickly removed, but (at least in my case), putting it on pretty much requires unbelting and a bit of finagling to get the holster seated.

For more conventional carry, for full-sized autos my clear favorite holsters are the Don Hume #721 and the DeSantis Speed Scabard.

Milt Sparks Summer Special II has worked for me for years...

View attachment 88863

And I'll "fourth" the SS II! It's a great holster and quite comfortable as stated above. I also never had a problem with the safety (S&W 1911).

If you like C-Tac, I have one for the 1911 that I never wore. They just aren't comfortable for me.

Full, five inch.

Great info guys, thanks!

Any problems with wear on the finish with any of these? Mine is black and the finish is still pretty good after carrying it since 1997.

All holsters wear the finish. Kydex wears a bit more. I think holster wear is the sign of a well-loved gun. The more you draw and holster the gun, the more it wears.

Last edited:
All holsters wear the finish. Kydex wears a bit more. I think holster is the sign of a well-loved gun. The more you draw and holster the gun, the more it wears.

This^^

If you're worried about holster wear, you're carrying the wrong gun. I carry my Sig 1911 sometimes, and it's in a Kholster. I like the holster, but will probably do my own "combat cut", as this isn't an option from him, and I like it for that pistol. Oddly, my EDC is a Ruger SR9C, a gun that's ugly enough that holster wear doesn't bother me [laugh], and that goes in a N82 professional, that's not combat cut either, but I don't mind it.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Drag marks on that hammer?

Yup and I don't care. The gun has run flawlessly since I installed that new hammer and new sear circa 2005. I like the WWI style hammer because the spur is more rounded than the gov't model series guns. I'm an active guy and sometimes the series 70 serrated hammers would dig into my hip if I contorted my body to the right while doing whatever activities. I found that the WWI style one doesn't gouge the skin nearly as much. Another concern others have asked me about with that hammer/ grip safety setup is hammer bite. I've never experienced hammer bit with any 1911. I don't have chubby hands I guess.

This^^

If you're worried about holster wear, you're carrying the wrong gun. I carry my Sig 1911 sometimes, and it's in a Kholster. I like the holster, but will probably do my own "combat cut", as this isn't an option from him, and I like it for that pistol. Oddly, my EDC is a Ruger SR9C, a gun that's ugly enough that holster wear doesn't bother me [laugh], and that goes in a N82 professional, that's not combat cut either, but I don't mind it.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Just worried about excessive wear. I've never used a "plastic" holster as I always use leather.

I have had a Brigade Gunleather custom M-11 for a few years now that I use with my 3" 1911. I like it very much. The only thing is, it takes him a long time to make it and his customer service is not the greatest. Sometimes you might catch him at a time when he has one in stock though. I find the quality and craftsmanship to be second to none and it is comfortable.
http://www.brigadegunleather.com/concealment-holsters.html

Just worried about excessive wear. I've never used a "plastic" holster as I always use leather.

You'll get wear in a leather holster too. So? What's "excessive"? The finish will wear, particularly at corners and edges. So what? It's a working gun, not a museum piece.

Back
Top Bottom