• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 in .380

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Wow, I never would have thought of a 1911 in .380

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716550182
pix791519647.jpg

Anyone every tried one ?

I don't think JMB would roll over in his grave over this, as long as it actually works.

I never would have thought of it, either. And there’s a reason for that.

I was expecting to see a pocket gun when I opened this thread. What's the point of a full size 1911 in .380? I can understand 9mm for extra capacity and cheaper ammo but this seems nonsensical.

I was expecting to see a pocket gun when I opened this thread. What's the point of a full size 1911 in .380? I can understand 9mm for extra capacity and cheaper ammo but this seems nonsensical.

Given that 380 is the sane diameter as 9mm, capacity wouldn’t even increase. Lol

Colt made to versions of the Mustang in .380 during the 1980s. I don't know if JMB would have approved, but someone did.
Someone I know had a Llama in .380 that was a virtual copy of the 1911. Nice little gun, but at the time he was selling it I wasn't interested in .380.

Colt made to versions of the Mustang in .380 during the 1980s. I don't know if JMB would have approved, but someone did.
Someone I know had a Llama in .380 that was a virtual copy of the 1911. Nice little gun, but at the time he was selling it I wasn't interested in .380.

The mustang was great, and led to the P238/938. It was also a pocket gun. This one isn’t.

Answer to a question nobody asked. Pocket sized .380?! Yeah, awesome! Pocket sized .380 that's SAO and based on an obsolete design? Yeah... NO. Just no. Never. FOAD with that nonsense. I'd rather (and sometimes do) carry a striker fired .25 from the 40's than any of these stupid micro 1911s.

BTW, there's a reason Colt stopped making the Mustang. SIG continues to make them because of states like MA with handgun rosters limiting the selection of viable pocket guns. I'll bet a significant share of sales for the 9/238 series comes from MA. Why? Well, because the BG380 is a piece of shit.

Not everyone is young and healthy. For those with severe arthritis, recoil IS an issue. Having a larger pistol that fits into curled fingers, and more weight in a smaller caliber to lower recoil, is a consideration for many. Fortunately for most of you, you will never find out what it is like to suffer from those conditions. Unfortunately for me, I have several relatives who do. That's one reason "Why?"

Not everyone is young and healthy. For those with severe arthritis, recoil IS an issue. Having a larger pistol that fits into curled fingers, and more weight in a smaller caliber to lower recoil, is a consideration for many. Fortunately for most of you, you will never find out what it is like to suffer from those conditions. Unfortunately for me, I have several relatives who do. That's one reason "Why?"
9mm in a steel gun is too much?

BTW, there's a reason Colt stopped making the Mustang. SIG continues to make them because of states like MA with handgun rosters limiting the selection of viable pocket guns. I'll bet a significant share of sales for the 9/238 series comes from MA. Why? Well, because the BG380 is a piece of shit.

Colt stopped making the Mustang because they’re a bunch of dim witted **** nuts. Since Sig brought it back with the P238, Colt has restarted production to ride the wave.

These aren't full size. They are slightly reduced in proportion.
label-browning-1911-380-black-2.jpg
7f2f70b07a56323e2153fec0f14f69c7.jpg

This^

I handled one and I liked it because it fit my hand so well, I was even tempted to get one, but was turned off by the composite frame.
Sorry, I still prefer guns made of all metal.

The Browning is very close in size to the old Colt Government Model .380, those were pretty sweet, which is probably the softest shooting .380 I've ever fired.
At the range one day, we fired a selection of .380's side-by-side. (PPK, P232, PT-58, AMT Backup)
Everyone agreed the Colt was the nicest to shoot, but it's a real scaled down 1911 and fires from a locked breech, the others are blowback actions.

Springfield also makes a series of scaled down 1911's.

Last edited:
Honestly, with a metal frame I might think about it for the wife (very small hands and recoil sensitive), but not interested at all in a composite frame model.

Back
Top Bottom