• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 holster recommendations

Just picked up my first 1911 with 5" barrel. Looking for some owb holster recommendations. Not going to use this gun for edc. Just need something for the range or short term on the hip. Thanks.

Jim

Damn spell check or crappy one finger typing on IPhone,That is supposed to Holster,And I Carry My 1911 occasionally,Congrats on your 1st 1911

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/326919-Commander-1911-Holsters

I started this thread a few days ago on this topic.

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed you said OWB. For OWB I plan to order either a RTT by Bravo Concealment or a Pitbull Tactical. If you're not looking to spend that much, there are plenty of cheaper options both leather and kydex or plastic. Blackhawk Serpas are my go-to for cheap range holsters

Last edited:
I have the same interest, for range and eventually IDPA. Mine has a rail though. Any of these support a rail?

sent from my phone.

This is what I use for my DW 1911 for IDPA/USPSA/Steel challenge. Works well and doesn't break the bank. Plenty of other holsters that may be better but I'm satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tech-Outside-Waistband-Holster-Government/dp/B00Z0J9WZ0

I use the Blade-Tech Black Ice. You can get it with a drop offset or not. No drop offset and the holster is IDPA/USPSA legal. If you have the drop offset it is illegal for IDPA. Real nice holster for the money.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...-ice-belt-holster-1911-government-kydex-black

Safariland 5198 and 5197 are very good value. Comes with belt and paddle attachments in the 5198 and loops only in 5197 under 30-40 bucks. Good solid click into the holster and has a suede lining.

Last edited:
Fellow Plumber here, those guys have no idea what they’re talking about. Kidding! If you are looking for an outside the waistband holster, get some thing leather, bad ass and noticeable.If you’re going to carry it on your hip, at the range and it’s a good looking gun, why not show it off in some slick leather.

Recently bought two, albeit for a 320, but am very happy with the cost/quality ratio.
Leather OWB from 1791 holsters. Really well made for under 100, and shipped right quick.
Kydex OWB from Upper hand holsters. Right now my fave OWB. I think it was 80 after "color" upgrade. Very solid, Hides a big gun pretty good, but still lets you get a good grip. Shipped fast as well.
Would buy both again. Well worth a look.

I have a Sig 1911 with the squared-off slide. I found this guy who makes holsters for that, and, well, darn near everything else, too.

Tommy Theis Holsters.

The pull-down menu is pretty extensive of what guns he makes holsters for, with or without rails, lights, lasers, RMRs, choices of leather, right or left side, etc. I'm very happy with mine. Very reasonable pricing for what amounts to a custom holster. One-man shop and made to order.

Last edited:
I have a Sig 1911 with the squared-off slide. I found this guy who makes holsters for that, and, well, darn near everything else, too.

Tommy Theis Holsters.

The pull-down menu is pretty extensive of what guns he makes holsters for, with or without rails, lights, lasers, RMRs, choices of leather, right or left side, etc. I'm very happy with mine. Very reasonable pricing for what amounts to a custom holster. One-man shop and made to order.

I have 3 Theis holsters. Really nicely made and comfortable.

I have a few of these most are 20 plus years old. A call to them for your rail opption will aid in best fit.
If your going to hang something off that rail ?
Nothing like a nice leather holster for a good old classic 1911.

Considering the OP started this thread three years ago, I suspect he has already acquired a holster.
However, I really like these...

Tip: Assuming you are using a good gun belt, skip the belt loop at 3:00 o'clock. Slide the gun to the rear when driving/ sitting for comfort. Slide the gun forward when walking into Home Depot etc. for conceal-ability.
An un-tucked button down offers plenty on concealment in most cases.

My favorite holster by far however for big guns is a shoulder rig.

A full mag in the gun and one in the chamber, two spare mags under your arm, and you are good to go. Make sure to properly fit your shoulder rig to avoid fatigue and it is a thing of beauty. Again, an un-tucked button down is all you need to conceal.

We the people holsters. Look for a coupon code. I really like them

Mine was a piece of sh!t. Bought it for a Colt defender. The customer service sucked. The holster sucked and it sits in my box of old holsters.

Was not worth the headache to return it.

Mine was a piece of sh!t. Bought it for a Colt defender. The customer service sucked. The holster sucked and it sits in my box of old holsters.

Was not worth the headache to return it.
Wow thats strange. I found them a couple years ago and have several. Sorry about your experience

Wow thats strange. I found them a couple years ago and have several. Sorry about your experience

Found them through a Facebook. Ad a few years ago.

Ordered one and it was so loose and ill fitting. Tried to take my heat gun to it but did not want to void the warranty. Tried via PayPal and via email to rectify it. Gave up. Ended up sucking up the loss.

I still have it. I won’t even karma it, it was that bad.

Ended up with a local holster manufacturer. Told them what I needed. They sent me a perfect holster, personal note hoping it worked and extra hardware. Met them at a gun show and he remembered me. They have a lifetime friend.

ETA: was a pic I sent them

D9BEF966-4C5E-43EE-886C-A352FA57DA64.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom