• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!! *DONE Thanks bzfoo

I feel stupid as hell, but I just field stripped my SW 1911 for the first time and I cannot get the slide to go all the way back on. The lever that is attached to the grip safety is slightly raised and is interfering with sliding the slide all the way back on the gun. Anyone tell me what I'm doign wrong?

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, don't touch the grip safety, and push down the bit that popped up. IIRC, the manual says to put it back together upside down, but that piece keeps popping up stopping the slide, so I do it right side up. It's the triangular black piece(when raised), right?

Last edited:
It's the thing on the right side of the frame viewing from the rear.the thing is just slightly raised, just enough to catch the slide and prevent it from going back any further. I have tried pushing it down but that does not work

Doh! I decided to use some brute force tactics to get the thing pushed down and it worked

Thanks for guiding back in the right direction!

The thing that looks like a little nub? (Pardon the lack of vocabulary) I think if you're a little more aggressive with it, the slide will scoot over. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I'm gonna go get mine out of the safe and check back in to see if you've got a response.

Relax, calm down, you'll get it back together shortly

I use a popicle stick to push down on both parts that need to be push down so the slide can slide over them.

The part that irks me is that when I was 10 I could do that in a few minutes, but it's been so long since I've field stripped a real 1911 (as opposed to an LDA)

Every now and again I still get stuck. It's part of the fun! Then again, I enjoy taking apart and putting back together Ruger MKIIIs. [smile]

Don't get over confident about the idiot mark, as some idiots (me) do. I had my sw1911 for almost 2 years when I made my idiot mark. It bothered me, but since it was my firts gun, and I will never sell it, I've come to accept it. I do wish I was a little more careful. Just a tought ... now that I think of it, is it possible, without too much work or, more importantly, too much risk of making it worse, to fix the idiot mark?

Popsicle stick? Good idea! Next time I get stuck I'll try to remember that one.

I doubt it... that's why so many 1911s have them. If they could be easily fixed then we wouldn't see that.

My SW1911PD isn't my first gun by a long shot, but after my first date with her (and she outperformed me like most of my guns) I think this one is a lifer.

Back
Top Bottom