1911 gunsmithing class and build

nightpoison

NES Member
Hello,

So I recently took my LTC Certification class and am about to find out if I get my license. One of the things I'm most excited about is learning about gunsmithing. I've already started my book collection, and I'm looking for actually classes I can take.

I'm actually looking for a specific class one of the instructors talked about during my certification class. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

He mentioned there's a class, I believe in NH that cost covers a full 1911 build. By the end of the class you leave with your own customer built 1911. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find information on this class?

I did several searches on the net, and the forum and couldn't find anything specific.

I'd say ask your instructor about it, and when you get details, post it up here. I'm sure there are quaite a few folks here that would be interested.

He mentioned there's a class, I believe in NH that cost covers a full 1911 build. By the end of the class you leave with your own customer built 1911. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find information on this class?

There is a class being run at Roy Huntington's (American Handgun editor) house (out in Montana or some other western state) by Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide. Since Bill is running the class you can expect it to be both excellent and expensive.

Hello,

So I recently took my LTC Certification class and am about to find out if I get my license. One of the things I'm most excited about is learning about gunsmithing. I've already started my book collection, and I'm looking for actually classes I can take.

I'm actually looking for a specific class one of the instructors talked about during my certification class. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I did several searches on the net, and the forum and couldn't find anything specific.

I believe that S&W runs armorer's classes where you are allowed to buy the pistol that you assemble.

S&W's armorer class is for LE only you must be enrolled by your department and you do not build a gun in an armorer's class you learn to repair and maintain department guns.
These classes are not open to civilians.

S&W's armorer class is for LE only you must be enrolled by your department and you do not build a gun in an armorer's class you learn to repair and maintain department guns.
These classes are not open to civilians.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. A friend (non LE) of mine took a class at S&W in which he was taught to build and repair a DA/SA pistol. At the end of the class he was given the option to purchase the pistol that he built.

Absolutely, positively, take the NRA summer gunsmithing courses offered around the country. I've attended many of the courses offered at Montgomery Community College down in Troy, North Carolina. You simply can't get more comprehensive instruction in such a short amount of time. You should buy the various books on the 1911 and have a good basic understanding of how it all works, and you might want to disassemble your pistol a few times to get the feel for the parts. In one week you will build a top quality 1911 pistol. The school is of the highest quality. The machine shop you will be using it top notch. The school's store is supplied with any parts you could ever need.

What is truly fascinating, is one room over, they are teaching Child Care, and in another part of the building, cooking, nursing, etc. You walk right by the Child Care playground to get to the firing range. And no one bats an eye as you are carrying rifles and handguns around a school......

http://www.nrahq.org/education/gunsmithing.asp

I remember those S&W non-le classes now. That must have been a while ago. Haven't seen any technical type classes for non-le for a while now. That was a great program too bad it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom