1911 Gunsmith in Eastern MA?

ATS74

NES Member
Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I am in Chelmsford and am looking for a gunsmith experienced in working on 1911's. I don't mind driving a bit. Thanks in advance for your input

Last edited:
I've had him do tune ups, recess slide stops and crown barrels several times.

He's never been willing to see he for a minor job.
I will say it’s been 5+ years or so since I’ve had Lou do work on my 1911. He may just be building 1911s only at this time?

The OP could also bring it to Northeast Arms in Peabody depending on what he needs done

Before everyone recommends Greg Derr… let’s first ask what needs done. Greg isnt picking up minor smith work
Really?

I took a revolver, right before COVID, he did the work. The day I was picking it up there was another guy picking up a revolver. Nothing major on each and he showed me an M&P he just finished polishing, also not major.

So, is that something he told you?

Rather than telling people a gunsmith is not picking up minor work, how about the OP calls and speaks with Greg?

A few years ago I picked up an older 70 series franken colt. I didn't really know at the time if it was something worth restoring or rebuilding. I called Lou at BEC, never dealt with home before and he told me to bring in down so he could take a look (luckily I'm fairly local). He was super helpful and honest about it, basically said he would do whatever I wanted but really wouldn't be worth it vs a true custom build. He even let me finger bang one of his builds he was working on so I could get an idea of what I could expect out of a custom build. If I had the cash to do it I wouldn't hesitate. He seemed like a class act and his work is amazing.

Really?

I took a revolver, right before COVID, he did the work. The day I was picking it up there was another guy picking up a revolver. Nothing major on each and he showed me an M&P he just finished polishing, also not major.

Rather than telling people a gunsmith is not picking up minor work, how about the OP calls and speaks with Greg?
This. Sometimes the guy 'building a hotrod will take a weekend brake job.'

While Greg expertly rehabilitated a 1911, I picked up from him an old Ruger revolver he just didn't want to deal with. It is best to give him a call and ask if you can stop by with your project if it suits the two of you.

Best of luck.

Before everyone recommends Greg Derr… let’s first ask what needs done. Greg isnt picking up minor smith work

I dunno, a couple months ago he did something for me I wouldn't exactly call major. Probably took him 30-45 minutes.

I say give him a call. He's a hell of guy to just chit chat with... and it's not terrible ride to his place. He's got TONS to show and tell.

I can't recommend getting in touch with him enough.

I've had him do tune ups, recess slide stops and crown barrels several times.

Really?

I dunno, a couple months ago he did something for me I wouldn't exactly call major. Probably took him 30-45 minutes.

I say give him a call. He's a hell of guy to just chit chat with... and it's not terrible ride to his place. He's got TONS to show and tell.

I can't recommend getting in touch with him enough.

I have reached out to him a few times over the years. It sounds like everyone has different experiences though, so it makes sense to go ahead and reach out. He may be in the middle of a project or he may have some time between projects.

Much like Eddie Garcia, some people post that wait times with him is years, but I worked with him and got some great work done on an older 2011.

I have heard that he does good work. Just looking for a basic tune up, springs, polish slide/frame fit etc
Definitely check him out. Good guy and good work. I would spend more time in there but unfortunately he doesnt have Saturday or Sunday hours and I work during the week when he is open

I have heard that he does good work. Just looking for a basic tune up, springs, polish slide/frame fit etc

Just do the work yourself

Polishing the slide/frame isn't going to do anything for how the gun shoots unless its binding now. But you could use J-B bore paste to slick the frame/slide. But since they weren't hand fitted, it's not really going to make anything better
Just replace the springs if you think they need it.
Extractor tuning is super easy. You don't even need a tool and for the best results, should be done at the range. (E-series are external and can't be tuned easily at all)

Back
Top Bottom