• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 .gov IWB leather backed holster that covers the hammer?

I use MTAC's for all of my carry guns (G33, P229, 1911) but I never carry the 1911 because the backing doesn't cover the hammer and it digs into my side. Although not the MTAC, this pic shows the problem. http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/spartan-holster-10231

This is the only down side I have ever seen on what is by far the best holster system out there. None of Comp-Tac's offerings fix this issue. So, I need to find another alternative. The only one I can find that seems to cover (crossbreed doesn't) a cocked hammer is the Galco King Tuck (http://www.amazon.com/Galco-KT212B-...d=1428423591&sr=8-1&keywords=iwb+holster+1911).

Anyone have this and does it indeed cover a cocked hammer? Also, anyone have any other suggestions on a leather backed (can be a hybrid kydex/leather holster) or full leather 1911 holster that covers the cocked hammer?

Occidental leather iWB holster works well for me. I think it is now TT leather. Granted, it will be about double what the kydex is. I think it came in around $115 to $120.

Last edited:
By "cover" the hammer, do you mean encloses the hammer, or just that it has a sweatshield tall enough to be between your side and the hammer?

By "cover" the hammer, do you mean encloses the hammer, or just that it has a sweatshield tall enough to be between your side and the hammer?

The latter. That it's tall enough to prevent the hammer (which on mine is super sharp) and skin from touching. It's amazing but most holster companies photograph their holsters with the hammer down. I am not sure that's stupidity or oversight, but it makes online shopping for one difficult.

The latter. That it's tall enough to prevent the hammer (which on mine is super sharp) and skin from touching. It's amazing but most holster companies photograph their holsters with the hammer down. I am not sure that's stupidity or oversight, but it makes online shopping for one difficult.

OK. I haven't carried my 1911's in a while. Remind me tonight and I'll dig through my holster box and see what I come up with. IIRC, most of them have sweatshields that go up high enough to cover the safety lever, but not high enough to cover the hammer.

I went cheap on my ITWB 1911 holster and use a bianchi which has a marginal cover of the hammer when in position 1. I think they discontinued it however. Have you tried to carry in a different clock position to see if that helps?

My S&W 4553TSW rides nicely in a High Noon Holster. No part of the gun touches any skin on me. Excellent design and quality craftmenship.

I have the King Tuck and as you can see the leather backing covers the hammer and almost all of the beaver tail (on a S&W 1911). As far as a review it carries just fine if you like hybrid type holsters. Mine looks like a different or older model than the link you posted but hopefully you can get an idea from my pic.

IMG_2450.jpg

As far as a recommendation goes the TT Gunleather IWB is very comfortable and I like it much better than the King Tuck. It covers the hammer and beavertail better than the King Tuck and workmanship is top notch. http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0dead4463ea8f07338d4d909/iwb-holsters Mine is the "Mike's Special"

IMG_2449.jpg

Last edited:
Milt Sparks Versa Max (VM) II. One of the most comfortable IWB holster you will ever wear. I also wear a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB holster that's very comfortable and great for easy on/off the belt if you have to frequently remove your ccw.

This is like the fourth holster mfg I hadn't heard of in this thread. (the other three were el paso, tt leather and n82)

SHTF Gear got their big break when Hickock45 featured their ACE holster in one of his videos. I have been carrying a 30s in one for several months now and it's been great. Smaller than the MTACs and CB's but large enough to be well balanced. They've become pretty highly regarded. I recommended it mainly because they are known for that "comfort angle" I think you are after.

THis is a UBG holsters canute for my commander sized 1911. Looks like they make the same for a gov sized if this accomplishes what you are looking for

My favorite 1911 holster is the Milt Sparks SSII. It doesn't cover the hammer however.

Years ago I figured out that using a WWI style hammer on my carry 1911 (a series 70 Colt) alleviated the sharp edges from the original hammer digging into my hip. It makes a world of difference, to me anyhow. I've never experienced hammer bite at all, but my hands are not meaty so no flesh ever gets caught between the grip safety and hammer. The gun has performed flawlessly through thousands of rounds with this setup.

003.jpg
004.jpg

If you really like the ComTac holster you could easily have an extension added a new slab of leather cut to suit your needs. I bet you could could get a scrap of appropriate leather pretty cheaply.

If you really like the ComTac holster you could easily have an extension added a new slab of leather cut to suit your needs. I bet you could could get a scrap of appropriate leather pretty cheaply.

I was also thinking about doing a custom kydex shell because the 1911 one has a lot of room to move down before the trigger guard becomes an issue. It's something I need to consider given the other options here.

Back
Top Bottom