• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 compact comparisons/suggestions

Soundwave

NES Member
I've decided I'd like to stick to the 1911 platform for a weekend carry. During the work day I carry a P238. So I'm looking for Any hands on experience and suggestions. Being in MA not everything is available to me. Right now it seems to be Sig Ultra, Colt defender or Spring RO Elite/Compact. I really like the idea of 4" barrel and 7+1 but then we're talking height of a full-size 1911....help!

Thanks

Last edited:
I know and that's one I keep coming back too. My only "concerns" are I'd like a more traditional looking 1911(my fullsize is an e-series) and the barrel is almost as short as a P938.

Ruger SR1911CMD (4¼" barrel) + 5.11 Tacticool pants => pocket carry.

Apologies in advance if not a fit for your requirements.
But it's a quality pistol for three figures,
and widely(*) available in Mass.

(*) Hey if Four Seasons and Cabela's stocks something,
I call that "widely available".

If I could find a lightweight night watchman that'd fit just fine I think. I definitely dont want to feel like I'm carrying a full-size steel 1911.

I love that I'm getting responses but how about a little info on why you'd recommend that one? The sig has a short barrel but a little longer than 3" and it's also fairly short where as most other are 5"+

I also like the RO Elite compact because it's smaller but then I lose a round in the mag which doesn't seem worth it when you can get micros holding 10rnds of 9mm now.

Last edited:
Colt Defender is a great option. I loved it. Shot it much better than my Officers Models, as well as my Commanders and almost as well as a full size. The Defender was great for a long day at the range as well.

I've never done a face to face or a FFL transfer so yes while some things are available that way it's not as readily available as just going to a store. There's a sign ultra and maybe a c3(not sure how I feel about the 4.25 barrel) on here I'm looking into.

Is it the light weight? What did you carry before for comparison? Thanks

Something about the Colt defender only having a 3" barrel makes me not want to love it lol .I know the ultra is only barely longer but it's something. I really thought the RO Elite compact was perfect but then I started reading about no front strap checkering etc

Oh and the Colt defender for sale is 22+ years old. Not sure if they've been improved etc

S&W pro series was great. Light, compact but I couldn’t shoot it well. The Colt 1991A1 officers was a good shooter but it was heavy. I couldn’t find a compact 1911 without sacrificing something. I gave up on that search.

There's definitely some give and take. Part of me just wants to go g19/23 And be done. But I really enjoy the 1911 style etc

The single action trigger is certainly nice. I may revisit this with the new suggestions mentioned here. Personally I went with a SA XDS 45 for a while and then now to a G26 for easy carry.

I love my full size Colt Government and would expect the Defender to be just as good, though I have no direct experience with it. My EDC is a Sig and that’s damn reliable and fun too.

I dis-recommend carrying short 1911s, because shot timers show that they are slow for most people.

Look, I love 1911s. I own all 4 reasonable combination: full size, officers, commander, CCO. I've carried Officer's and CCOs and Government models.

Once I bought a shot timer, I couldn't justify any of these any more except the Government. The time difference between shots on a 3" 1911 and a 3" 9mm Glock is so staggering (for me) that no justification about .45ACP could possibly make the difference worth it. Adding an inch didn't make any difference for me. Adding two inches and 1 extra pellet, almost makes the Government model comparable.

My advice, if you want to carry a 1911, is carry a full sized gun when you can. When you can't, carry something else.

I am not a fan of smaller 1911’s since they’re still well over 30 oz and often have reliability issues with expanding projectiles. If you really want to carry 45 AARP get a shield or XDS in 45. Both are great. The shield 45 is incredible.

S&W pro series was great. Light, compact but I couldn’t shoot it well. The Colt 1991A1 officers was a good shooter but it was heavy. I couldn’t find a compact 1911 without sacrificing something. I gave up on that search.

You have it right here, IMHO. You can make a 3" 1911 reliable, but you can't make it reliable, light, hold more bullets, and have less recoil.

So I managed to find a springfield RO elite compact nearby and went to check it out. Grip fits my hand great and the lack of front checkering didn't bother me while just holding/fondling it. The only issue is the grip. Like my fullsize the grip has the cutouts for screw to hold the mainspring housing I assume? It just kinda digs into my hand. Can I just sand that grip edge a little? I've also seen grips that are flush with the magwell. Are the cutouts just so you can access the screws without removing the grips?

Me personally? I’d buy a set of aftermarket grips and sand those down a bit. I say this because some people who purchase pre-owned guns want something as close to being right out of the box as possible. If you don’t think you’re getting rid of it, go for it. Just go slow.

Sorry I don't mean sanding the entire grip. Just the edge around the screw. Just seems like a sharper edge than it should be. Otherwise I love the look and feel of the grips and the little indent for easier mag release

Sorry I don't mean sanding the entire grip. Just the edge around the screw. Just seems like a sharper edge than it should be. Otherwise I love the look and feel of the grips and the little indent for easier mag release
If the grips are G10 you can definitely sand that edge. I'd recommend starting with a finer grit so you don't remove a ton of material too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom