• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 compact comparisons/suggestions

It seems that a lot of you guys are fans of the Colt Defender. Yet, I don't see it (or any other Colt, for that matter) listed in the MA approved firearms roster. What's the story here, or am I missing something (obviously, I am)?

Frank

As someone who owned and carried 2 lightweight officers mods for several years, eventually you'll get smart and go plastic, or go to a commander or gov. sized 1911.

If you must stay with .45, even something like an XDS .45 is a huge leap over these guns in terms of overall reliability vs time.... You can get like TWO. xds for what the price of one unf***ed/customized officers mod type gun costs you. Yes they look cool, but imho are a dumb idea for most for carry guns.

It seems that a lot of you guys are fans of the Colt Defender. Yet, I don't see it (or any other Colt, for that matter) listed in the MA approved firearms roster. What's the story here, or am I missing something (obviously, I am)?

Frank

Adults in MA don't care about that stupid roster. There's 100 ways to dodge it as well as a bunch of guns like the defender on the secondary market.

I was SO close to going G19 but the price for a NORMAL capacity mag and the hoops to jump through etc just turned me off. I just can't bring myself to buy an XDS etc where I can't get a preban and I'm stuck with subpar magazines.

Maybe some day I'll pick a 19 or 23 up but I'm still in love with 1911s for now lol. I did just put a new barrel and trigger in my G22 so maybe that'll respark my Glock interest.

Unfortunately I can't really carry what I'd like to during the week from a comfort and concealment standpoint. Next best thing is same platform.

Unfortunately I can't really carry what I'd like to during the week from a comfort and concealment standpoint. Next best thing is same platform.

I've gone to a G43 and rarely a G19 or G30.... but frankly the 43 is what I use like 99.9% of the time when I am carrying. After you do this for awhile you won't get hung up
on switching guns and this and that, you will carry the "most comfortable thing that pisses you off the least vs what you can still hit stuff with" gun.

-Mike

Haha that's what I've been doing for 6 years. I almost replaced the P238 with a P938 to kind of split the difference but I'm still holding out hope for a P365 with 10+1. I just had nothing in between the P238 and G22 so I always went for comfort but felt lacking in firepower lol

Haha that's what I've been doing for 6 years. I almost replaced the P238 with a P938 to kind of split the difference but I'm still holding out hope for a P365 with 10+1. I just had nothing in between the P238 and G22 so I always went for comfort but felt lacking in firepower lol

Ha! I carry a P238 too and thought about adding a P938, but like shooting a .380ACP and I’ve become more comfortable with it too. I was nervous about carrying cocked and locked at first too. I am curious as to what the recoil is with a P938. I can’t imagine it’s that much harder.

The Sig Ultra Compact 1911 in .45 must have a pretty decent kick though. I want one, but only because I’m going through a 1911 phase as well. I want a Gold Cup Trophy in 9mm for some reason, and the Sig version as well.

That's why I was really shooting for a compact frame 4" barrel to hopefully tame the recoil a bit. Dan Wesson and Wilson combat make some but are hard to find here. When a local shop had the RO Elite compact I had to check it out.

I'd have to say the Officers frame doesn't hide all that much better than the Commander, given a decent holster. Certainly not enough to negate a better grip and more ammo, IMHO.

I have decent sized hands and can get a full grip on the compact. If I couldn't o wouldn't have picked it up. After talking with Lou at BEC decided to not go with S&W for my second 1911. I was looking very hard at their 1911sc. In the end I really wanted a little less barrel and weight so the Springfield won out in the end. After stuffing a larger mags in you're probably right about it concealing about the same but the compact also allows me to use a flash mag for slightly better concealment when I need it.

The compact .45 went through over 100 rounds of mixed ammo, some old reloads included, almost flawlessly. The only issue was in the last round of one mag the left grip panel came loose. Tightened it up and no other issues at all except one of the reloads didn't fire. Over all very happy. I just need to really work on my technique etc..

During disassembly I noticed some "wear" on the frame. Being my first alloy frame true 1911 I'm not familiar with that. Is this something to be concerned about?

Attachments

• 20190315_123446.jpg
    20190315_123446.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The compact .45 went through over 100 rounds of mixed ammo, some old reloads included, almost flawlessly. The only issue was in the last round of one mag the left grip panel came loose.
68YLolk.gif

During disassembly I noticed some "wear" on the frame. Being my first alloy frame true 1911 I'm not familiar with that. Is this something to be concerned about?
Dunno, but upon Len's endorsement,
I picked up a 1½oz. tube of Mil-Comm TW25B Gun Grease at Merrimack Firearms
for slide lubrication of my (stainless) 1911 Commander.
I've applied it (happily); although haven't run the gun since.

I'd call it Len Oil, except it's a grease...

I used to carry a Kimber Compact (4” barrel). That worked well for a 1911. I would skip the 3” models — too many stories about malfunctions and too short a sight radius for my eyes.

These days I either carry a Glock 19/23 in a belt holster or a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster.

Are you just talking about the finish being worn off on the frame rails? That’s normal. 1911s do like a fair bit of lubrication, but any finish on a frame rail is going to wear off over time.

The frame wear issue with the alloy framed guns was hollow points chewing up the softer alloy of the feed ramp machined into the frame. Yours has the ramp as part of the steel barrel.

Back
Top Bottom