1911 Commander Build (first 1911 Build)

Here is a pick of how it was:

F1.jpg

Bobtailed will be a future build... I love those. Made some progress tonight, plunger tube installed... Hopefully hit the range this weekend to test the gun out before coating. I think I may change the look of the gun... Either all black, or sniper grey with black accents.

Final assembled gun pics to come tonight... hopefully get some nice lighting outside so the pics come out half decent.

Ejector in correctly now:

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

beveled the holes for the plunger tube before staking i:

photo3-1.jpg

G1.jpg

Thanks!

I made my first goof last night. I tried to install the plunger end of the slide release from the left side. It wouldnt go in from that side (which it shouldnt as it should be loaded from the safety side of the tube). I didnt realize that and drilled the bugger out! I quickly realized that the plunger for the slide stop needs to be captured in the tube from one side LOL.

Out with the old and in with the new...new plunger tube on the way...

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Also, not sure if you said or not, or if you mind saying, but what did you pay for everything up to this point??

Thanks guys.

Just in parts alone I am up to $1250. A few $$ for specialty tools, $200 for coloring, $80 for grips..... probably end up around $1600.

Curious to know why you went with the short recoil spring guide rod setup instead of a full length guide rod... They're not expensive (from what a quick search on Brownells brings up), so it shouldn't be a cost thing... IME, you get better function from them (no spring bind)...

I haven't had problems with my other 1911's that have short guide rods.... didn't really think about it to be honest.

Spring bind is a myth

Myth or not, I've had zero issues with the full length guide rod in my 1911 as well as the one my father built up. Both have seen a good amount of rounds go through them (competition shooting where reliability is critical). I also have a Haart's recoil suppression guide rod (cannot locate them anymore). For the few dollar difference, I would have just gone full length.

BTW, it's been so long since I've had anything other than a full length guide rod in the pistol, I don't remember what it's like without.

Myth or not, I've had zero issues with the full length guide rod in my 1911 as well as the one my father built up. Both have seen a good amount of rounds go through them (competition shooting where reliability is critical). I also have a Haart's recoil suppression guide rod (cannot locate them anymore). For the few dollar difference, I would have just gone full length.

What kind of competitions?

Just want to provide an update: Gun has been done and is broken down ready to drop off with Greg Derr on Saturday. Gonna go with some sort of grey or silver coating (gonna see what samples he has there before I choose). Tonight I broke down my Colt Gold Cup... stripped the coating off in preparation for coating as well. I think i am gonna murder out the pony (all black except the barrel). Pics will be posted as I get them!

Jon

Here is one I just finished up. Give you some ideas of color, it is Tactical Grey on slide, Satin Mag on Frame, Graphite Black on everything else

Before Coating
20130505_161006.jpg

Group @ 10yds off hand
20130505_164238.jpg

Finished
20130512_110138.jpg

20130512_110218.jpg

Those grips are temporary, getting blue carbon fiber grips that should look sweet on there.

Sorry about the terrible photos, I will get more once the grips are in.

nice looking piece! Any chance you can get some day light pics? I am interested to see how dark that grey really is. Oh, and did Greg Derr coat these?

Last edited:
I met with Greg Derr today. He was very friendly and gave me time to discuss my needs. I ended up bringing him 2 guns (my custom build and my Colt 1911 Gold Cup). Both will get some color:

Commander 1911 -> Sniper grey Frame (along with grey bits/pieces that attach to the frame). The Slide and components of the slide will be Graphite black.

Colt 1911 Gold Cup -> Everything will be Graphite Black except the barrel (polished).

Last edited:
This is great. I picked up a 1911 commander frame and slide from Remsport last week and am excited about the build. I'm right at $1400 in parts right now and still have to purchase some sights and a finish (currently weighing the pros and cons of duracoat, gunkote, cerakote, etc...). Look forward to seeing the finished product when Greg is done with the finishing!

No problem. Looks great. I am considering the case hardening for one of mine.

Ps. You cannot go wrong with Gregg

Back
Top Bottom