1911 Commander Build (first 1911 Build)

I decided to finally start my 1911 build. My goal is to do all the fitting and assembly myself. I headed up to Remsport and picked up some parts. The slide/frame were already pre-fit, as well as the barrel hood to breach face. Other than that, I will be doing the fitting/contouring of everything else. The plan is to have the frame Color Case Hardened, and the slide and all controls blued. I used a pic that Fred Lotter posted as inspiration for this build.

Here is what i have so far:
Remsport Frame (25 LPI front Strap)
Remsport Slide (rear serrations only, Novak cut for front/rear sights)
Remsport Match barrel (with link/pin)
Remsport Barrel bushing
Remsport Beavertail Safety

Here is what I just ordered for parts (should be in by this weekend):
Swenson Match Adjustable Trigger (black with 3 holes)
Cylinder and Slide Tactical Match firing components (4.5# trigger pull)
Wilson combat Hammer Strut
Wilson Combat Tactical Mag Release
Ed Brown Extractor
Ed Brown Firing Pin Block
Wilson Combat Firing Pin Spring
Wilson Combat bullet proof Firing Pin (9mm/38 super)
Ed Brown Mainspring Housing (25LPI Checkering) with bolt on Magwell
Ed Brown Recoil Guide Rod
Ed Brown Recoil plug
Wolffe 16# Recoil Spring
Swenson complete blued pin set
Swenson grip screw bushings (bought both slim and regular)
Swenson Allen screws
Wilson Combat Plunger Spring Assembly
Ed Brown tactical Extended Thumb Safety
Kensight Adjust. Defensive Rear Sight
Kensight Front Night Sight (Green tritium Dot)

EDIT - ADDED FINAL PICS TO THIS POST:
Graphite black slide with sniper grey frame

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

Last edited:
No real budget... probably try and keep it under $2k. Just in parts alone I am up to $1200. A few $$ for specialty tools, $200 for color case hardeneing, $250 for coating other parts... probably end up around $1700.

Did some work this weekend...

Got in a bunch of parts (forgot to order the slide release though [frown])

Fitted the bearvertail, blended it to the frame. the frame was significantly taller and wider then the beavertail. Fit the safety as well, and stoned the action parts.

1cb98674-5a11-4574-a839-df553d6f286c.jpg

c4.jpg

7a0a32db-c6d7-473a-bb3d-d78ff7d63a39.jpg

a37e3440-308a-49aa-951f-a01779ba8254.jpg

35dee6a6-53e7-40b2-b838-3dc1bf823cc7.jpg

0f6400d4-dbdf-41a8-9f19-da5d2efbe54c.jpg

156896a0-9c45-49ba-b87d-9a528291756c.jpg

Last edited:
So I took some pics, lighting sucked and it is a camera phone so i couldnt get closeups that well (and it wouldnt focus) so I only have a few good ones.

Here is the progress... gun is complete. ta-da! Well, almost complete.

Everything that is installed appears to work great. I haven't installed the plunger tube yet (gonna wait until the color case hardening I think). I haven't installed the ejector yet... probably do it tonight. The one spot that is giving me trouble is the tight fit on the barrel bushing (which is good). I can't get it to rotate by hand (or bushing wrench for that matter) once the recoil spring/plug is in place. Got to get that dialed in tonight to. I will take some better pics tonight, but here is what I got.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

25b77d5d-b1d9-46d5-b469-f177b35e140e.jpg

c42fc7e2-5f66-40cd-a31f-2a0a17398e3f.jpg

d7.jpg

d8.jpg

Last edited:
I always fit the barrel bushing to the slide first then the barrel to the bushing. Pulling the slide back will only make it easier if it is binding on the barrel and not the slide. The OD of the bushing may need to be turned down and the space between the lugs and the face on the bushing needs to be opened up a bit. I am also in the process of building another 1911, don't have the time to document it though. Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Yup... I used a red sharpie and colored the OD of the bushing and reassembled. Sure enough, the slide ID and bushing OD were rubbing. New pics to come at lunch time.

Ran into a snag. The Remsport ejector had a notch on it for engagement with the roll pin. Unfortunately the ejector notch was made too big and the ejector is loose when the pin is in. The ejector rear can rise up 1/16" when fully pinned. Now the pin doesn't want to come out, so I am gonna have to drill it out. I wish there was no notch so I could have done it myself to the fit I want.

No... The pin is so small (and the hole is so small) that I don't have a punch that small to fit thru the frame. I tried to use a small drill bit as a punch, but the pin doesn't want to budge. Being a split pin (tension pin), it looks to be deforming rather than coming back out.

Back
Top Bottom