1911 build; need plunger tube and ejector installed

jim/boston

NES Member
I picked up a Commander frame from Remsport a while back and I am ready to build another 1911...unfortunately I bought the frame without having the ejector and plunger tube installed. Any place on the north shore that does these? I can always ship it back to Remsport; I just thought I'd check to see if it could be done locally. thanks, jim

I think Lou from Business End Customs does 1911s.

The ejector is easy to install. All you have to do is cut a notch in the forward leg where the pin passes through and red Loctite the assembly.

Rather than use the stock plunger tube, I prefer a Pachmayr "mud flap". This part uses the plunger tube holes to locate it, but is held in place by the grip screw. It also extends upwards to prevent your thumb from contacting the slide. The downside is that you have to relieve the LH grip to clear the "mud flap". The advantage is that you can do it yourself and never worry about the plunger tube coming loose.

The ejector is easy to install. All you have to do is cut a notch in the forward leg where the pin passes through and red Loctite the assembly.

Rather than use the stock plunger tube, I prefer a Pachmayr "mud flap". This part uses the plunger tube holes to locate it, but is held in place by the grip screw. It also extends upwards to prevent your thumb from contacting the slide. The downside is that you have to relieve the LH grip to clear the "mud flap". The advantage is that you can do it yourself and never worry about the plunger tube coming loose.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I always understood that special staking tools were required for the install.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I always understood that special staking tools were required for the install.

A staking tool is required for the conventional install, but not the mudflap. The mudflap extends above (to keep the thumb from rubbing the slide when you have a thumbv-on-safety grip), and below, to give a surface the grip pushes against to hold the flap in place. If the grip is properly relieved (enough to the mudflap fits into a recess in the grip, but not so much that the grip does not press against the flap when firmly screwed down), it will solve your problem nicely and not preclude using a conventional plunger tube in the future (though if you do, you will probably want to replace the grips with an unrelieved set).

I don't think the Pachmayr thumb shield is available any longer. Lyman took over some of the products, and that's not among them.

I have the tool, but am in Wareham probably cost more in gas than the tool cost. I am around evenings all week if you want to use it...

I didn't have much luck looking online for the part

Your luck just changed.

I found a blued Pachmayr mudflap in my karma box - PM me your US-Snail address and I'll send it along.

This one is in perfect structural condition (no metal dings, scratches, etc., but shows some light signs of bluing wear as it was once installed on a gun).

ps: Please let me know if you also need the plunger tube spring and plunger ends.

Last edited:
I have the tool, but am in Wareham probably cost more in gas than the tool cost. I am around evenings all week if you want to use it...

Small flat rate priority box mails for less than five bucks. Gets to most destinations in 2-3 days.

Thanks to Rob, I am now in business and as soon as I receive my bag 'o parts I can start my build (hopefully by this weekend)
24o8v40.jpg

Back
Top Bottom