• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Assembly & Parts Links - Step by Step

1911 YouTube Videos

All the YouTube Videos have been removed.

And finally: STI's "How the 1911 works" animation

Here is the most amazing tool you can find, to help you understand exactly how the 1911 pistol works. This animation, is the kind offer of Dave Skinner, the owner of STI. Click on the link below, a new window will open, in which an animation will be loaded. Use the check boxes on the lower left edge of the screen, to hide/unhide the various parts, of the pistol, while you watch it cycle. You can hide or reveal various parts, so you can focus on that particular part you want.

You may also change the background color from white to black, hide or show the parts selection menu and specify if the pistol will use a normal guide rod or STI's Recoil Master.

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Please note that there is one little mistake on the animation. It shows that the slide does not start to move until after the bullet has gone out of the barrel. This is not correct, the slide starts to move the same moment the bullet starts to move.

Last edited:
1911 Barrel Link Pin

Should the barrel link pin in a 1911 barrel be staked in place?

I ask because I recently bought a Ruger 1911 Commander. Nice pistol but I took it to a local gunsmith to have an arched mainspring housing installed since that is my preference. As he was re-assembling it the slide stopped about 2" short of mating to the frame. Turns out the link pin worked loose (it was NOT staked) and kept the slide from traveling all the way back on the frame. He then staked it in place for me.

I looked at another Ruger at my LGS and that one was also not staked. I then looked at a few other 1911s from various manufacturers and most were staked. I found one Colt pistol which was not staked.

Yes or no?

Not normally needed if the link pin and hole are sized correctly, but it is done all the time as a standard way of keeping the pin from walking...I can't remember ever seeing one staked from the factory though...

Back
Top Bottom