• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 as a carry gun?

I currently have a kahr pm9 that I carry and I love the slimness. That got me thinking about an 1911. Is there an $500-$700 commander sized 1911 that would be reliable? I have this thing im my mind that they are not as dependable as other platforms, but with all the 1911 fans, its got to have somthing good going for it. Unfortunatly my budget at the moment only allows me to have one handgun. I like every thing about the PM9 except I dont shoot it that well. I know what it was designed for and it does it well, but im an accuracy freak.

Do you guy think going to a 1911 would be a good transition, and do you think there is a certin maker or design more reliable than the rest?

There is nothing that a Commander sized 1911 can do that a Glock 19/23/32 cannot do better. Compare length, width, weight, cost, ease of care, and reliability.

Either way, keep your Kahr PM9.

There is nothing that a Commander sized 1911 can do that a Glock 19/23/32 cannot do better. Compare length, width, weight, cost, ease of care, and reliability.

Either way, keep your Kahr PM9.

I have had several glocks. I definitly agree they are easy to take of, super reliable, and a all around good pistol. I just could never get used to the wide grip. I just love the feel of a slim grip. I could be my hands are a little on the small size.

I've got a PM9, and while you're unlikely to win any bullseye competitions with it, you can learn to shoot it well (i.e. Practice).

At your price range, I'm not sure you'll find a decent carry 1911. I had an RIA compact 1911, but between being all metal and the beaver tail, I'd rather carry the Kahr. I sold it, as I prefer a full size 1911.

To me, polymers are better suited to carry - lighter overall weight, less worry if rust, polymers sort of say "work horse" to me. (It says "cheap" to others, so YMMV.)

I believe Glock makes a single stack .45, if thats the caliber you're looking for.

Plenty of people carry a 1911, so it would be a good choice, given that you can find one you can afford, and you put in the practice to shoot it well enough for your liking.

- HP

My opinion on the 1911 which is just that an end user opinion, I don't know all the stats on every 1911 out there but based on my experience with the 1911 I own and other platforms. I like the 1911 as an EDC. There will always be situational considerations like shorts with no belt vs long pants with a belt and summer vs. winter clothing as to what is easier to carry/conceal.

I originally carried the SW 1911ss, love shooting the 1911 and the platform, slim profile but it is heavy!! So I went with the M&P 9c and carry it now but am looking to pickup a Shield, which is slimmer in profile. But I do want to get back to the SW 1911 Pro Series 3" in .45. This will probobly replace my 9c. So I do like the 1911 as an EDC, but think you need a selection of guns to meet the conciderations of the type of clothing, time of year and ability to conceal.

I know plenty of people that EDC one gun all year in all types of clothing, but I like the options of having different guns that offer different calibers, profiles, grip angle and barrel length all which add up to weight.

So yes, I like the 1911 platform for EDC, but don't think one is enough!!!! YMMV

There is always a good reason to buy another gun!!!

It's a tool box. I love me a 1911, but numerous other platforms are equally capable. S&W makes a good commander length 1911.

I carry my SR1911 (full-size) everywhere legally allowed. In fact, this afternoon I took my wife to a major cultural event in Boston, wrapping up the evening with dinner out. BPD and rental security all over, not a single raised eyebrow so far as I could tell.

Outfit was jeans, gun-show gun belt, M-TAC IWB at 4 o'clock, tucked in t-shirt and casual button-up shirt over it, unbuttoned and untucked.

Last edited:
I alternate between a Kimber ultra in 9 and S&W E-series in 45 as my EDC. I almost never carry my PM9. Never had an issue with either of my 1911s though they are both probably just outside the price range of the OP. Whatever you carry just practice with it, my 2c...

I have had several glocks. I definitly agree they are easy to take of, super reliable, and a all around good pistol. I just could never get used to the wide grip. I just love the feel of a slim grip. I could be my hands are a little on the small size.

I often carry a S&W 1911SC. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and never a problem. I shoot some of my carry ammo about every 3-6 months too. No problems. Just looking for some narrower grip panels.I'm 5'3 and have small hands, short fingers. I found the double stacks too thick for optimal control. I am currently carrying a Sig P239 mostly -also a single stack.

FYI - I recently picked up a 1911PD for $700 used.

There's some article or video on the accuracy of a compact 1911's. Yeah dependable but wont win you a bullseye competition.

How accurate do you need too be. What distance is considered self defense range. I have always come to my own conclusion. Out side of a few yards I'm not going to be useing my carry gun to defend myself.
I carried the 1911 for a few years the weight finally defeated me also I got my hands on a s&w 4013 doublestack. Although the grip is wider it was a lot easier to get a positive grip on it when drawn compared to the 1911.

I'm not a great shooter. Under relatively fast from concealment draws I can keep several rapid shots on the torso type targets...by far the most accurate carry gun I have for quick draw from concealment is my hammerless airweight s&w 38spl. Fits nicelyin my pocket with pocket holster. I often find myself fumbling with the thin grip models.

Last edited:
OP mentioned small hands, I considermyself to have hands on the smaller side. You may want to try slightly larger grip models also. I'm not sure why but seems the older s&w semi 's get a quick pass over. I also have a model 39 in 9mm its light and accurate
You can get many of the 4000 series s&w for <500. I would never have even considered the 4013 I have if I did not get my hands on it. I have added the hogue grips and its just very natural to grab. For me that is.

Keep your PM9 and save money until you can afford it and a second gun.

My usual carry is a full-size 1911, but there are times when pocket carry just works better. Yes, a commander-sized 1911 can be reliable, but I'd go with one at the high end of your budget.

Another thing to consider is the cost of your ammunition. 45 ACP costs a lot more than 9mm, and if you can't afford to buy a $700 gun and keep your PM9, then how are you going to afford to buy ammo to practice with?

Furthermore, you will take a beating on a trade-in and, if I recall correctly from your posts, you've gone through several guns this year. Keep what you've got and practice with it. If you really want accuracy and your budget is limited, but a semi-auto .22lr pistol for you second gun.

I currently have a kahr pm9 that I carry and I love the slimness. That got me thinking about an 1911. Is there an $500-$700 commander sized 1911 that would be reliable? I have this thing im my mind that they are not as dependable as other platforms, but with all the 1911 fans, its got to have somthing good going for it. Unfortunatly my budget at the moment only allows me to have one handgun. I like every thing about the PM9 except I dont shoot it that well. I know what it was designed for and it does it well, but im an accuracy freak.

Do you guy think going to a 1911 would be a good transition, and do you think there is a certin maker or design more reliable than the rest?

pm, me and i will give you a price on what you are looking for, ammo also!

Back
Top Bottom