• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Advice

Redneck

NES Member
I am looking to in the near future pick up a 1911, but I am having trouble deciding the best one for me and also finding one in the price range of $500. I saw on the Four Seasons website that they are currently selling the Auto Ordnance 1911a1 with plastic grips for $479.95. I plan on adding after market grips anyway so the stock ones do not matter to me. But my concern is that I have heard good and bad things about the AO 1911. I really wanted to buy a Springfield Armory 1911, but I can not seem to find one and since they are not MA compliant, I doubt I will. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be a great help, I love the 1911 and it is definitely going to be my next purchase but I just need some help with that. An like I said I am looking to spend around $500 for it, I may have some breathing room if offers pop up but we will see.

Thanks again
Redneck

Well I know someone selling their Springfield Armory 1911's but believe they are all TRP's and so fall well outside of your target price. With that said, the Auto Ordinance (and maybe the Para) are really going to be the only 1911's that you will find in shops for that target price. They aren't much money because they aren't made as well as the other makes that are a bit more money.

My advice is save up a little more money and keep an eye on the forums here for a used one to get a little closer to what you're looking to spend. In the long run you'll be a lot happier going with a 1911 that's built better.

I was thinking the same, but I was hoping to pick up a new toy before the spring haha. I really would love to get a Springfield Armory 1911, but its just so hard finding one in MA. I may take up your advice and save up and buy a better built 1911. I have been hearing good things about S&W 1911s but I just love that vintage look of a 1911a1 and S&W does not make a 1911a1 from what I have seen. Anyway that's enough of my rambling haha thanks again for the advice.

Have you shot many 1911's yet? The SA ones are very nice. I'm happy with my S&W but needs some trigger work but shoots well. I don't have an AO 1911 so it may be good to find someone who has one and get their opinion.

The differences between the 1911 and 1911a1 are shorter trigger, cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, an arched mainspring housing, a longer grip safety spur (to prevent slide bite), a wider front sight, a shorter spur on the hammer, and simplified grip checkering by eliminating the "Double Diamond" reliefs. (stolen from wikipedia)

If you're looking for the vintage look without the vintage pricing the SA GI may be a good choice for you or a Colt 1991. The tough part is that you cannot buy them from dealers in MA. There's also the idea of going to a skilled gunsmith and see if they can build you one that would have that vintage look.

I have not shot any 1911's yet, but it was the first gun I ever held and it has been a goal of mine to buy one. I would love a SA GI, or a Colt 1991 but the problem is finding them in MA and also getting them for the right price. I have thought about building one myself since I have the gunsmith book for this but I figured I should buy one first and then slowly work my way to building my own later on. I figured if I posted a thread on here, the members of the site would point me in the right direction and help me make up my mind.

Save up and get a S&W. The old style 1911s may look nice, but the sights are too small and the manual safety isn't as easy to use as a modern, extended version.

See I was looking at the S&W 1911s on their site, but they are all in the 1,000 range, but I have noticed that any gun manufactures site has the guns priced more then a dealers, so I am not exactly sure what the prices are.

You can probably find a used S&W 1911 for a lot less. My first gun was a used S&W 1911 for which I paid $700 (in a shop, probably would've been cheaper from an individual).

... so I am not exactly sure what the prices are.

The shops in Western MA (including the S&W store) charge roughly 80% of MSRP. Since there are a lot more shops elsewhere, the prices are probably better in other parts of the state.

I am seriously considering a used S&W 1911 right now, I was really hoping to go brand new but hey if its going to save me a few hundred bucks and is in the right condition then to hell with that new gun smell lol

I am seriously considering a used S&W 1911 right now, I was really hoping to go brand new but hey if its going to save me a few hundred bucks and is in the right condition then to hell with that new gun smell lol

As long as it's not beaten to hell, there's nothing wrong with a used gun. You'll save a lot of money. Do a search in the handguns section of the classifieds for 1911, there's a few that have been for sale lately.

Well like I said in my first post I am just looking for info now and I will be buying one in the near future. I wanted to get a feel for whats out there and also get other opinions, and so far S&W seems to be the direction everyone is going in. I was hoping to pick up the gun around April but if I am going to need more money it looks like it will be around June or later :-(

Another option for you, is to contact John at Remsport (he is a vendor on here located in Ludlow, MA). He manufactures quality 1911s in all varieties - even custom bobtailed versions (which I personally like). If you don't need "instant gratification", he can sell you parts as you can afford them, that way you will end up with EXACTLY what you want, and spread the cost out over several months. That is the way I plan to do mine when the time comes, because there is no way my wife would be ok with me dropping $2k (or more) for a custom 1911. By doing it in parts, I can just pick up components as I can afford to, then put it all together myself. I have to do the same thing with my AR build, since she is not a gun fan, and thinks those expenditures are ridiculous. Nice thing about the 1911, and the AR platform, is that they can both be built piece by piece.[wink]

See I thought about doing that, but then decided against it because I would rather buy my own first then get into building them. That way I can look at it and not worry about trying to figure out where everything goes and then be stuck with a bunch of parts I can't do anything with haha. I am really considering the S&W 1911 used, but like I said in my last post its going to take some time for me to get the money together. An as much as I would love to own a custom 1911, right now I think a used would be best for me, and a bit cheaper. I am seriously considering the S&W 1911 blued with tactical rail.

Last edited:
Well, I can certainly understand your reticence to do a scratch build. Don't fear buying, or having extra parts, though, because John knows exactly what you will need, and will get you only the parts needed for the build, or spares if you lost, or broke something. He has bins of absolutely EVERY spring, pin, or other parts necessary for both the 1911, or the AR. You should visit his place if you have any thoughts at all about building one, because it will alleviate some of your fears.

Go to your local gun store and look at the price tag [shrug]

haha, I may end up doing that, and if I can't seem to find something in my range well then maybe I'll put the 1911 off until next years tax return lol. The 1911 isnt going to be going anywhere so I actually might end up doing that now that I think of it. I really wanted it but after looking at the pricing and everything, it may suit me better to just save a year and do more research and buy a really good one then just pop on an deal when I see it. I know I know my mind is all over the place lol, so many toys so little money.

Last edited:
The Rock Island Armory will be in your price range. Tactical model has better sights and controls. They are good guns......lots of reviews on the net. I can vouch for them, I have a couple and they've been trouble free.

Remington is out with the R1....for around 600.

Desert Eagle makes a nicely equipped variant as well...for a little more $$

If your looking for fancy or Stainless, save the pennies for a Smith or Colt.

There's a SA 1911A1 SS in the inventory on the gfaarmstec website for $735. I'm not sure how up to date it is, so you'd have to call to see if it's still there.

If your timing is right (or you're patient enough) you should be able to find what you want for a reasonable price.

There's a SA 1911A1 SS in the inventory on the gfaarmstec website for $735. I'm not sure how up to date it is, so you'd have to call to see if it's still there.

If your timing is right (or you're patient enough) you should be able to find what you want for a reasonable price.

Being a SA though I do not believe it can be transferred to a MA resident.

Rock Island Armory is probably your best choice in the 4-500 range. Great reviews by owners.

American Tactical is another new-comer that is in the same range. Reports seem good on them I believe.

You can also find used (but in great condition) S&W 1911's in the $650 range if you look around the shops.

Save up and get a S&W. The old style 1911s may look nice, but the sights are too small and the manual safety isn't as easy to use as a modern, extended version.

i agree with this advice completely, if this is your first 1911 and you havn't

shot one your making a big mistake.... and think about a GI version as a

collectors item not a practical range gun.

so go shoot one and see how it feels to you.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom