• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911/ ace question.

seanc

NES Member
Question for all of you.
I have had a colt ace conversion for a lot of years and I have always swapped it on and off my 1911.

I am thinking of putting together a permanent 1911/22 (using the ace and just putting it onto a lower).

Any suggestions on what to get for a base? Could I go s&w? Maybe RIA?
trying to think of something not too expensive and generally MA available.
Would not mind a project if frames are available.

some of the 1911s may not be compatable to the colt.I dont think you can get RIA in mass.but you pose a goob question as how compatable brands are.

A friend haas a Colt 1911 in .22 that was built as a complete gun. We tried putting the slide on a Kimber frame and a Colt frame and it wouldn't fit. I don't know about a conversion kit. Got a friend who ownes a 1911?

I have a frame from:

REMSPORT MFG
LUDLOW MA USA

which I intend to mate with a Colt .22 upper one of these days. The slide does fit the frame but it is tight.

I have a Ciener .22 kit that was sitting on my S&W 1911 . . . which I wanted back as a .45 full-time.

I was in the same place as the OP . . . then I landed a Colt 1911 Ser 70 MK IV at the last gun show for short money. On Sunday I shot the Colt first as a 45 and then put the Ciener kit on it. Both ran just fine.

I have a frame from:

REMSPORT MFG
LUDLOW MA USA

which I intend to mate with a Colt .22 upper one of these days. The slide does fit the frame but it is tight.

A tight slide to frame fit will be a problem. This excess friction will probably be too much for the 22 LR round. I put a Ciener conversion on a frame that was a snug, not tight fit and had all sorts of reliability problems. I then put the conversion on another frame that was a loose fit and it worked 100%.

It works great on my Colt s80 gold cup. I also have a Colt 38 super that it seems to fit fine on (have not tried to shoot it).
I am thinking that my best bet would probably be a Norinco (if I could find one) or a beater of a Colt. But there again, not a lot of low cost beaters hanging around mass at this point.

Does anybody know if the S&Ws are interchangable w/ Colt?

A tight slide to frame fit will be a problem. This excess friction will probably be too much for the 22 LR round. I put a Ciener conversion on a frame that was a snug, not tight fit and had all sorts of reliability problems. I then put the conversion on another frame that was a loose fit and it worked 100%.

Oh, it's way too tight for any sort of operating firearm, even for a .45ACP. I have to find a way to loosen up the fit to where it will move easily enough to allow for proper operation.

Back
Top Bottom