• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 9mm Reliability

boilermaker

NES Member
I have often seen posted here that 9mm 1911s can be "fickle" or "unreliable." Is there a common cause for the gun not running right?

I don't have much experience with 1911s in 45 or 9mm but have been thinking about getting one but wanted to know more before going too far down the road.

Rather in law is running S&W pro in 9mm and never had problems, shoots mostly his own reloads too.

I've got ~1000+ rounds (hollow points, RN, coated, plated, jacketed, 115 gr -147 gr) through my Dan Wesson PM9 with no issues so far. I haven't experienced this reliability issue that people mention about 1911s[laugh]

It is not so much that Gov't Model pistols in 9 mm will always be fickle as it is that changing the round (both in diameter and in length) requires a whole bunch of other design changes, which the manufacturer may or may not have the ability to effect successfully.

The Gov't Model design involves a number of relatively sensitive geometical balances. These involve the angle of barrel tilt, the length of slide travel (relative to cartridge length), the angle of bullet entry into the chamber (steeper with shorter rounds), and margins for rim entry under the extractor (the Gov't Model design is, in fact, an application of "controlled feed," like the 98 Mauser). Lots of room for design error. These issues are largely the same one faces when one shortens the barrel of a .45 ACP pistol.

So, can one design a Gov't Model-type pistol in 9 mm? Yes. Is it as simple as bore diameter and chamber dimensions? Not by a long shot.

My Pro Series 1911 runs like a sewing machine. Some people trash Para Ordnance and they have had some issues but my wide body 1911 P-18 9 runs great as well.

I think you'll find no issue with ball ammo, but some types of HP ammo *might* give you feed issues if the mouth is too wide and starts clipping the feed ramp. It varies gun to gun.

My Rock Island has 2000+ rounds of FMJ with 0 Malfunctions.

Some hollow points feed fine, others have a 2-4% FTF rate...but its strictly a range gun for me so i could care less.

My RIA Tac Compact 9mm has performed flawlessly. About 600 rnds, ball ammo prints best.

My new S&W Pro Series 9mm 1911 had 20 FTE and 2 FTF in its first 175 rds. WWB and Rem. UMC. Most FTE and both FTF occurred in the first 100 rds. I'm going to give it another couple hundred rds. and if it does not improve greatly, it's going back to S&W. Gun was detail stripped, cleaned and lubed before range trip.

The Pro shipped with two Wilson mags, what are good alternatives?

Several years ago, I had issues with my S&W Pro series 1911 and the Wilson mags that shipped with it. Through trial and error and lots of input from people more in tune with "gun-smithing," the issues were found to be with magazines that did not have a flat spring follower. Loading more than 9 rounds in a 10 round mag would cause a miss feed. I tried Wilson, Metal Form and finally purchased Tripp Research. Problem solved!
Best regards.

Several years ago, I had issues with my S&W Pro series 1911 and the Wilson mags that shipped with it. Through trial and error and lots of input from people more in tune with "gun-smithing," the issues were found to be with magazines that did not have a flat spring follower. Loading more than 9 rounds in a 10 round mag would cause a miss feed. I tried Wilson, Metal Form and finally purchased Tripp Research. Problem solved!
Best regards.

My S&W Pro Series shipped with 2 Wilson mags that would not run reliably. S&W replaced them and the gun has been 100% reliable ever since.

My S&W Pro Series shipped with 2 Wilson mags that would not run reliably. S&W replaced them and the gun has been 100% reliable ever since.

How long ago was that? That's good they acknowledged the problem. They did not when I was having issues. I wonder if they "redesigned" the mags and now use a flat spring follower.
My 1911 works well with the Tripp 10 rounds and MetalForm with flat spring followers.
Best regards.

It was about a year ago.

Owning another 9mm 1911, I was able to verify quite easily that the issue was magazines.

The other gun is a Remsport custom build that he sold with Tripp mags

It was about a year ago.

Owning another 9mm 1911, I was able to verify quite easily that the issue was magazines.

The other gun is a Remsport custom build that he sold with Tripp mags

Maybe S&W heard from enough of the right people. It was very frustrating to me as I thought it was my grip, my weak wrist etc. When stronger shooters experienced the same issue with my pistol I was relieved. DanS figured out the problem and put me on the right track with the flat spring followers.
Best regards.

I had only 2 FTF but over 20 FTE. Can a mag interfere with ejection? I did have trouble loading 10 rds. into the Wilson mags.

All the 1911 9mm pistols worked wonderfully. I believe they are as reliable as 45acp ones.

Back
Top Bottom