1911 , 9mm or .45

looking at my first real .45 ACP 1911, in the Springfield loaded long beach operator,
6-Long-Beach-Operator.png

but since i mostly shoot 9mm, and have a RIA commander sized 9mm.. been wondering if i should get another 9mm 1911. either in a fullsize or a carry .
price limit is about 1200.

and springfield has a 9mm Range officer operator which is a tiny bit cheaper
PI9130LP_R.jpg

or pick up an SA EMP 3" 9mm

Last edited:
If you are going to own some 1911's, you owe it to yourself to have at least one in the original 1911 caliber. I have more than half a dozen in .45 acp, my favorite caliber.

Go for whichever you are jonesing for the most right now, or whichever one comes up as a good deal. You know you'll buy another later. [wink]

I may be sure to go to the next NES shoot just to see if I can shoot someone's 9mm 1911. Never shot one, and am interested to do so...

I love this RIA 9mm 1911.. which is why i have fallen in love with this platform. its like cheating, its that low recoil

I have pretty much decided to end the affair with the glocks in .45 compared to the 1911 so i definitely need a nice .45 acp gun.

i guess i just really want both..

and prob a carry 9mm 1911 lol if i fall down the 1911 rabbit hole far enough to give up carrying my glock 19 lol.

Last edited:
I love this RIA 9mm 1911.. which is why i have fallen in love with this platform. its like cheating, its that low recoil

I am a big fan of a well built 1911. Good ones run as smooth as glass and the 1911 is an inherently accurate platform for me. Very low recoil added to the mix & dammit- now I'll have to have one eventually. [smile]

Why not both? I find that when I make a decision between calibers or model I always end up buying both eventually. Until recently I never would have considered a 1911 that wasn't .45. In the the last year I switched to 9mm as my go to round. My love of the 1911 has made Me really consider the new Ruger 9mm.

Why not both? I find that when I make a decision between calibers or model I always end up buying both eventually. Until recently I never would have considered a 1911 that wasn't .45. In the the last year I switched to 9mm as my go to round. My love of the 1911 has made Me really consider the new Ruger 9mm.

so do you now prefer the 9mm 1911? after having the .45's for a long time?

I would get the .45 first, since you don't have one yet
then get another 9mm later.

you know your getting both sooner than later

I love the 1911 platform and have them in different configurations and calibers. At one point I thought nothing beats the traditional 45ACP 1911. I even had one built for me by Greg Derr and that gun is a work of art. Then I fell into a deal where I picked up a S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9mm. It has all the classic lines and functions of a 1911, but with 9mm follow up shots are just that much faster. As to which is best will be a personal decision for each, but I take both to the range often and love shooting both as well.

For you it all comes down to what you shoot the most. If you mainly shoot 9mm, then go with a 9mm 1911 especially if you don't have 45acp in your ammo inventory. If you want something with more punch that will shoot differently to learn a new skill, then go 45acp.

what new skill are you going to learn shooting a 45 and not a 9?

The skill of expecting things to drop dead with only one shot, like in Hollywood? Ha.

I've had .45 1911's for as long as I've had my LTC, and only just recently bought one in 9mm. It is a Derr build, I got used from the classifieds here. I needed to make a few minor adjustments and fixes to it, and it's a great shooter. I plan on using it for just steel plates. Looking forward to Spring when the steel plates matches start up again!

what new skill are you going to learn shooting a 45 and not a 9?

How to adjust for the increased recoil, possible adjustment for weight, grip and stance to account for the same, etc'. While they are minute in nature there are always different skills to learn with a new gun/caliber.

That will all depend upon what your original grip is. She might have a good grip for 9mm, but need to adjust for 45acp. If so then she'll need to transition that new grip back to 9mm.

I guess my point is you can't have a good grip for 9mm that needs to be adjusted for 45acp. This is why shooters need to go to a real instructor as soon as they possibly can

another vote for 1911 in 45acp. to me it's just a natural fit.

i don't think too hard when it comes to 1911's. to me they're designed for leisurely range fun. and in that instance i just find the 45acp feels right.

I feel you may have compromised on your initial 1911 purchase with the RIA.

The price point is attractive for a first time 1911er. But its a entry level gun, and its a bit big for carry, but not a full size standard 1911. Now that you have your toes wet, you want a carry size, and a full size and another full size in another caliber. I think you will get all of those in the long run. So pick one to get now. Get it. Sell the RIA to the next 1911 rookie, then get another on your list.

I feel you may have compromised on your initial 1911 purchase with the RIA.

The price point is attractive for a first time 1911er. But its a entry level gun, and its a bit big for carry, but not a full size standard 1911. Now that you have your toes wet, you want a carry size, and a full size and another full size in another caliber. I think you will get all of those in the long run. So pick one to get now. Get it. Sell the RIA to the next 1911 rookie, then get another on your list.

Did you know the Biggest Indoor range in America (Battlefield Vegas) Has a number of 1911's and said that the Rock Island Has held up the best?

Back
Top Bottom