• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903A4, rock ridge machine works

mac1911

NES Member
I decided to get a clone 1903a4 sniper after reading all the reviews on who actually made what for who, who uses what ect ect I went with the RockRidgeMacineWorks labeled one. Your choices out there are Curt Wolfe/Rock Ridge Machine, Gibbs rifle co and james river armory.
From all the internet postings it seems Rock Ridge does the work for the others ??????? From a bit of searching its unclear what barrels gibbs uses vs rock ridge uses Criterion barrels?? One thing id that these where built of drill rifle recievers

I dont know how heave the weld was on the bolt cut off? They seemed to do a good job "un welding it" I have seen some bad examples.
103_3441_zps897e2576.jpg

103_3437_zps172f27e0.jpg

103_3437_zps172f27e0.jpg

103_3431_zps8ce8604d.jpg

The wood appears to be walnut it is typical Boyds/dupage/cmp replacement the coloring is a bit off so I most likely will stain and tung oil this one also. I like the fact that the stock is void of the phoney cartouches or the cmp stamp. Also compared to the gibbs I have seen down the club the parkerize is a darker slightly greenish tint vs the really light grey of the gibbs.
hope to range test it soon.....also I did a screw check, not a loose screw to be found.

Fyi finish is a type of paint (friend used paint thinner on his to expose the weld spots as they won't take real parkerizing

attachment-1_zpsad18d38a.jpg

attachment_zpsbce79743.jpg

attachment-2_zpsd2918cbd.jpg

nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Last edited:
was his rifle a early gibbs, recent ? gibbs, RRMW. what did he use as a stripper ? Im not to bumbed that it might be painted. Little unhappy they just dont tell you. It will be a shooter.
I planned on ceracoating my a3 sporter if a I built it out to a A4 clone which would have ran a good amount more between tools and accessories.

I got it out to the range today. Out of the box it shot approx 4"left and a slightly high. Over all it function well. Trigger was very nice. Smooth and broke sharply. Better than my other A3....I didn't get a lot of time with it. I was shooting more to get the action settled. If you don't know theses cmp/dupage/boyds stocks can be hit or miss and will settle some before your action seats and your groups become consistant. I have never pure based a rifle that was that close on paper @ 100 yards out of the box. I used hxp surplus 3006....all in all I'm seeing good things for this rifle.

Absolutely beautiful rifle. I want one so bad. Love the 03's and 03a3's.

However, I thought it wasn't safe to shoot re-worked drill rifles because of the welds. Are these safe to shoot?

03-A3 Drill Rifles
I looked at these for a while....tossed between rock ridge Gibbs or James river armory. From what I understand is rock ridge does the work for Gibbs and barreled actions to James river? Who knows. I'm just gladder this one isn't billboarded like the Gibbs rifles.

What I can say is if your not used to the sub 1" tube scopes with low fixed mag you might not like this scope. I don't mind them. I still have several rifles with these old style scopes.
This particular scope is very clear the eye piece adjusted well. The crosshairs are a little thick....but given what these scopes intended use was to get hits on target it works out well. With a SR1 target at 100 yards it was easy to see the black score ring and place the cross hairs in the center. The center of the crosshairs covers approx 1"moa+ @ 100 yards. I didn't get a lot of time to really shoot. After 10 shots the action screws neended to be tightened. Normal for these new stocks.
I figure about 20 25 shots before the action settles. Then I will zero the scope. They rough zero @ 50 yards with 5 shots from the instruction manual. It was approx 4moa off to the left and 1"+moa high of poa. I was useing hxp1971 30 06 which on a good day will deliver sub 4" groups.

Finally got some good time on the clone A4. After rough adjustment with the rear mount screws and a bit of playing with the small easy to over click knobs I got it shooting very well. At the end of my session I managed to put the last 5 rounds In the 10 ring of a sr 1 target @ 100 yards...or about 2moa off the rest.

So I have not had much time on this rifle but snuck out just for a bit yesterday as the house was empty and all my work was done.....happy to report no fogging of the glass. I shot prone on a sand bag. I shot 15 rounds and was happy to not need to touch the jobs! All in all I find this rifle to be very good. Are they worth the 1k or more tag I don't know can you find better for less probably not. I have only seen a few original A4 snipers and all 3 had some what foggy especially around the edges glass and came with a hefty price tag. The least being 4k.
I am happy with it and hope to shoot a vintage sniper match with it if one is local enough.

Congratulations buddy!!! Who is the manufacturer of your rifle? James River or Gibbs.

I have both and they both are outstanding as to fit and finish and accuracy.

Its a rock ridge machine works. Which from what I understand started making them for Gibbs after they failed to produce good ones in the beginning? There's also some Internet hearsay that rock ridge was the main supply of the rescued drill rifles theses recievers where acquired. Again all Internet rumors.
Axclub member has a newer Gibbs laser tagged with the classic Gibbs bulletin board branding BUT barrel is stamp RRM 2011 behind front sight.
Fred that's also why I asked if your recent James river had a stamp behind front sight and what it says?.
My rifle was pure based through creedmore. It arrived in a box with rock ridge machine addressed labeled. ?
so it was dropped shipped from rock ridge machine or so it seems. Other than the RRM stamp on the barrel there are no other markings other than the original markings.

I'm just glad it held zero and didnt fog up when I took it out of the case! Most of my 30 year old scopes are useless in cold weather. Also glad to see it held zero. My only complaint and its more to do with being spoiled with modern scopes is the small knobs and the weak detention spring to hold knobs from turning.

Last edited:
I cant believe I had this rifle for 7 years already , maybe 100 rounds through it now. I was glad to see my first five shots where in the ten ring after sitting in the safe a good while.
Will be shooting a sniper match Oct 4th. Should be fun.
After the match I need to get the trigger worked over. Its developed a strange feel and I think the park finish is wearing unevenly? It still breaks nice but feels wierd.
So far I can get close to MOA but I just cant do it.
Yesterday was not my best day but good enough for now , first 5 are low right 9 ring. I over adjusted thinking 1/4 moa , sun was right in my face for the next five shots , well thats my excuse.
2 clicks right and I should be close enough for the match
68D18F2C-1F1C-47DD-A40A-70CDF11C6F31.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the local club vintage sniper match.
Was looking at the targets and if I can hold center and deliver 2moa or less 1 should score 180/200 or so.
The simulated targets for 200 yards are
SR42 to simulate 300 yard? And the MR52 to simulate 600 yards

Both have a black aiming dot thats about 5.5-6 moa and a 9 ring of 2.7-around 4 moa.
So my end goal is to stay in the 9 ring and splash some 10s and Xs

Very nice. I saw a gentleman with a scoped K31 yesterday. I'm sure it was aftermarket, though. I've never shot a vintage sniper. I picked up a 1960s vintage Weaver scope with the plan to put it on my latest project, but the rings won't work, I'd need to find new ones.

I am taking the M1917 out today, though.

This Sunday. Safety meeting at 830, shooting starts @ 10am...
Edit- Garand Match first relay?
Theres a “vintage sniper” match following the normal CMP Garand Clinic and Vintage Military Match. There is no “time” if a lot of shooters come for the regular cmp event it wont be till later in the after noon.

Very nice. I saw a gentleman with a scoped K31 yesterday. I'm sure it was aftermarket, though. I've never shot a vintage sniper. I picked up a 1960s vintage Weaver scope with the plan to put it on my latest project, but the rings won't work, I'd need to find new ones.

I am taking the M1917 out today, though.
Ok what project,
I was looking for a old K2 i figure the 3/4” tube scope has to be better than that little tiny M73 clone I have now?

Ok what project,
I was looking for a old K2 i figure the 3/4” tube scope has to be better than that little tiny M73 clone I have now?
A Vietnam-era Australian L1A1. I acquired a STANAG top cover mount from Sarco. I also got an adapter to do STANAG -> pic rail, but the rings on my Weaver K3 won't work, they're for a hunting rifle style rail. I was thinking a field-expedient optic kind of approach to the L1A1. Now, I might just stick with irons and put the Weaver on a 10/22 or something.

I have a 1970 made lower to use.
1601680012087.png

Nice, IDK L1A1 just looks "wrong" with optics.
Much like Garand , i would own a M1 C/D but still feel like its not "right"

I have been getting silly with optics on my 10/22 ....dialed in for 200 yards now but the mueller i have does not lend itself to hold overs as its limitted to 6moa on 24x

Had fun today at "sniper" match we used reduced targets at 200 yards to simulate the 600 yard targets.
Top scope was 192-
i scored a 189/200/5X
Had to walk the shots into the 10 ring on the first target. i dont know if it was me or the scope that shifted on the 2nd target.? The scope had some optical anomalies. When i put the + over the bullseye at 200 it would "shift" at the upper to lower halves. Something i did not see at 100 yards.
1st target
EF60D8C2-3823-4ED8-A766-D82E528EAE8E.jpeg

2nd target
0B725447-265D-4AD4-A9C1-C5E6C85F229F.jpeg

Last edited:
Had fun today at "sniper" match we used reduced targets at 200 yards to simulate the 600 yard targets.
Top scope was 192-
i scored a 189/200/5X
Had to walk the shots into the 10 ring on the first target. i dont know if it was me or the scope that shifted on the 2nd target.? The scope had some optical anomalies. When i put the + over the bullseye at 200 it would "shift" at the upper to lower halves. Something i did not see at 100 yards.
1st target
View attachment 396458

2nd target
View attachment 396459
This rifle prints like a few garands i have.
Hope to get back to range soon to see where it prints when cold.
If zero returns to high center vs low left i know its the stock/mount issues with heat.
If not the scope will go back after the next match in NOV.

Nice, IDK L1A1 just looks "wrong" with optics.
Much like Garand , i would own a M1 C/D but still feel like its not "right"

I have been getting silly with optics on my 10/22 ....dialed in for 200 yards now but the mueller i have does not lend itself to hold overs as its limitted to 6moa on 24x
I just figured my other FAL didn't have one, so maybe do something different on FAL 2. My quest for a vintage SUIT scope failed. Figured the fixed 3x on the Weaver would work well and fit in with the trend of using commercial optics in field expedient situations seen in conflicts of that era.

My other other rifle on its way will have a scope, for sure. Currently I only have one scope in use, the one on my 10/22. Not keeping up with the tech, I guess.

I just figured my other FAL didn't have one, so maybe do something different on FAL 2. My quest for a vintage SUIT scope failed. Figured the fixed 3x on the Weaver would work well and fit in with the trend of using commercial optics in field expedient situations seen in conflicts of that era.

My other other rifle on its way will have a scope, for sure. Currently I only have one scope in use, the one on my 10/22. Not keeping up with the tech, I guess.
Scopes have there place. I have a few but more so because of failing eyes.
Scopes are good when your shooting at small targets far away.
I cant see a 1” dot at 100 yards so iron sights are usless at that point.
Most of the scopes I have except my 1903a4 clone, a big sightron and a mueller for the 22 are as old as I am

Scopes have there place. I have a few but more so because of failing eyes.
Scopes are good when your shooting at small targets far away.
I cant see a 1” dot at 100 yards so iron sights are usless at that point.
Most of the scopes I have except my 1903a4 clone, a big sightron and a mueller for the 22 are as old as I am
Yeah, the new rifle on its way will probably have 1-8x or 1-6x. My eyes are notoriously bad but I until I get a little older, I can (usually) see what I need. Cross-eye dominance doesn't help but going both eyes open does. I've shot some nice groups with others' scopes. Scopes obviously don't mask your other flaws with form and such, and I think it's important that everyone learn irons.

I've just always been a bit of a Luddite I guess, I've had an inherent sense that optics are cheating. But I have a couple red dots and they definitely make me faster and follow up shots easier; all depends on your objective.

The new rifle may very well be used in three gun after COVID stuff subsides and (God willing) ammo availability stabilizes and returns to normal. So, 1-6x or 1-8x would give flexibility. FAL # 2 will go the irons route, all things being equal.

Last edited:
25C5A8DE-1248-4E5D-A2EC-3B31FE0C878D.jpeg I dont think I can really do much better.
The scope/rifle seems to be settled in now.
Lower bullseye was 1903A4
5 shots that hit high are the 155 gn loads , 200 yard zero holding center.
The 9 shots in the mid/lower black Are my 168 gn loads at 2650-ish fps I held the Horizontal line at 6 Oclock to get the inpacts to center up 5 shot group a little low and left. Added 1 moa up and right and put 4 shots on center. My fith round popped up out of the mag while cycling and I crocked the bullet when it jammed. Thats about what I can do.
Time to load up some ammo for the next match

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom