1903A4 Gibbs Rilfe

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Well my three month wait for my Gibbs reproduction 1903A4 arrived.

First let me say that I bought this rifle for a couple reasons, one I always wanted a 1903 sniper rifle. Either the real McCoy or a really good reproduction. Well after the recent surplus cover story on this rifle I was sold......The receivers were bought from CMP and were refinished and blueprinted. They made their own bolts and installed their own barrels. They made the sight bases and found a scope company to make a scope to the specs of the original weaver scope found on the 1903A4 rifle. Used Walnut CMP stocks with all the correct markings.

I am pulling the box open and inside is a black gun case....I open it slowly and inside is my rifle. First thing I notice. The butt plate has a gap at the base almost a half an inch. I then look at the base plate. Its got bang marks all over it from someone pinging it with a hammer. I then look at the bolt handle, its still in the white! Now the killer, the space between the receiver and tang area of the stock is close to an half an inch. Then it gets worse. The scope company but the wind-age and elevation adjustment knobs on backwards.

So should I send my $900 rifle back and hope the next one wont be as bad or just give up and by the Yugo Sniper on sale at Century . $1200 with 900 rounds of 8mm ammo to boot.

I have to tell you with all the hype about these rifes and how this company takes pride in the assembly of each rifle they must have given those folks the day off. Mine looks like a monkey put it together. Needless to say I am[angry] and [sad] at the same time.

What should I do, return it and get my money back or keep it. They are hard as hell to get.HELP FOLKS

Last edited:
It's your choice but definitely return it either way. That sucks! [angry] The article had nothing but good things to say about them so it had me sold too, but you're the first person who I've known who got one so I'm not sure if it's a common thing or not [thinking] Either way, make sure to let them know how unacceptable it is and I'm sure they'll try to make it right

For $900 there is no way you should keep it, up to you but I would get my money back or ask for a replacement from them. One would think a company like that would have good quality control.

Get the Yugo M76 and hold out for a real 03A4. You can still find them at decent prices now and then. Just put word out that you're looking for one.

Oh... and when you get the M76, you have to bring it to Mansfield so I can shoot it because thats the only way I'll probably ever fire one.[smile]

Hard to get , or near impossible, I would still return it.

The defects and assembly damage that you mention is simply unacceptable. And to keep it as-is sends a message back to program/company that they should not be getting. Namely, shipping a rifle in this condition is acceptable.

Take a bunch of digital images of this puppy in order to verify "received condition", and then send it packing.

That really stinks.

I have to agree with the others, Fred. Send that piece of crap back! It's a repro - nothing to cry about. Get the Yugo and have at it!

Definitely take pictures and definitely let them know how disappointed you are. I wouldn't even give them the opportunity to "make it right."

And you WILL run across a real 1903 sniper some day - hold out for the real thing.

Well folks I contacted the dealer I bought the rifle from who in turn contacted Gibbs. I received a telephone call from a Gibbs representative directly. They apologized and will be shipping a rifle to me by Wednesday overnight shipping. They are sending a call tag for the rifle I have. All in all I am OK with their response. Maybe I am to forgiving but I am willing to give them a second chance. I will keep you posted on how I make out.

As to the Yugo, I already ordered it....so I guess I will have an early Christmas present to myself[smile][smile] Ray, you can be one of the first to try out the Yugo.[wink]

Well my three month wait for my Gibbs reproduction 1903A4 arrived.

First let me say that I bought this rifle for a couple reasons, one I always wanted a 1903 sniper rifle. Either the real McCoy or a really good reproduction. Well after the recent surplus cover story on this rifle I was sold......The receivers were bought from CMP and were refinished and blueprinted. They made their own bolts and installed their own barrels. They made the sight bases and found a scope company to make a scope to the specs of the original weaver scope found on the 1903A4 rifle. Used Walnut CMP stocks with all the correct markings.

I am pulling the box open and inside is a black gun case....I open it slowly and inside is my rifle. First thing I notice. The butt plate has a gap at the base almost a half an inch. I then look at the base plate. Its got bang marks all over it from someone pinging it with a hammer. I then look at the bolt handle, its still in the white! Now the killer, the space between the receiver and tang area of the stock is close to an half an inch. Then it gets worse. The scope company but the wind-age and elevation adjustment knobs on backwards.

So should I send my $900 rifle back and hope the next one wont be as bad or just give up and by the Yugo Sniper on sale at Century . $1200 with 900 rounds of 8mm ammo to boot.

I have to tell you with all the hype about these rifes and how this company takes pride in the assembly of each rifle they must have given those folks the day off. Mine looks like a monkey put it together. Needless to say I am[angry] and [sad] at the same time.

What should I do, return it and get my money back or keep it. They are hard as hell to get.HELP FOLKS

Too late. I would have advised you to just return it. I will be impressed if they do
right by you and send you something worthwhile.

1903A3

what you got was a restored parade gun,that was welded.I have just gone thru a very disapointment.I bought a parade rifle and the bottom has been
milled out right thru the lugs.for a $140+13 shipping I got a piece of junk.
GIBBS RIFLE AKA NAVY ARMS AKA OLD WESTERN SCROUNGER AKA VAL FORGETT.
I just had a talk with my seller the ATF found out the guns were being restored and made them destroy the rest.hope you dont have a visit.

what you got was a restored parade gun,that was welded.I have just gone thru a very disapointment.I bought a parade rifle and the bottom has been
milled out right thru the lugs.for a $140+13 shipping I got a piece of junk.
GIBBS RIFLE AKA NAVY ARMS AKA OLD WESTERN SCROUNGER AKA VAL FORGETT.
I just had a talk with my seller the ATF found out the guns were being restored and made them destroy the rest.hope you dont have a visit.

The company states they bought the receivers from CMP. Each rifle has its own serial number which is new, not C+R eligible. The barrels are clearly marked Gibbs and are new. The stocks are CMP which is clearly marked.

I am aware of the parade rifles you speak of but these are not one in the same. Gibbs even manufactures their own bolts.

I am going to think positive folks. Hey worse case, I send the second one back.
I am not sure what you mean by hope you don't get a visit. The rifle is booked out to me via a FFL.

Fred, sorry to hear you got a piece of junk! I, personally would give them a chance to make good and it sounds like they will. If the second one is junk, I would be very surprised. If you do get a good one, I hope to see you at Mansfield sometime to check it out.

Check out Sarcoinc .com $695.00

Original G.I. 1903A3 Springfields
New G.I. barrels. Excellent condition – most parts are like
new G.I. Really nice guns.............. $595.00 GUN325
Also available with a beautiful current projection “C ”
stock............................................ $695.00 GUN326
Check our website for pictures
For 4 groove barrel, please add $40.00

Check out Sarcoinc .com $695.00

Original G.I. 1903A3 Springfields
New G.I. barrels. Excellent condition – most parts are like
new G.I. Really nice guns.............. $595.00 GUN325
Also available with a beautiful current projection “C ”
stock............................................ $695.00 GUN326
Check our website for pictures
For 4 groove barrel, please add $40.00

Thanks for the lead however I have 2 1903's and one 1903A3. What I want is a 1903A4. The article written about the Gibbs rifle in the recent annual Milsurp magazine stated the Gibbs rifle was an excellent reproduction of the 1903A4. I think after talking to folks on other forums who have purchased the Gibbs have stated that the rifle is an outstanding example of the original 1903A4. I think I got a bad one, and so I am looking forward to my replacement. I will be sure to post photos..

My replacement Gibbs rifle arrived[smile]. This one is in perfect shape. The company gave me an extra cloth rifle case, comes with one, and a cloth sling to go with the leather sling. There was also a very nice letter written by the owner, or maybe it was his secretary, apologizing for the unacceptable condition of the first rifle. Next step, get to the range and try this baby out[smile][smile][smile]

Glad to hear they took care of you, but...where are the pics?!

I have not been able to get to the range yet. Rained all day here. Next weekend I will try and get some pics. I not big on posting pictures of my firearms but since you got such a kick out of your post I will put a few up some when I get to the range.

I am not one for taking pictures of my firearms laying on the floor or sofa. [wink]They look far better outdoors where they should be. Not propped up in a safe. Also they will never be a good as Rays firearms photos.[laugh]

I have not been able to get to the range yet. Rained all day here. Next weekend I will try and get some pics. I not big on posting pictures of my firearms but since you got such a kick out of your post I will put a few up some when I get to the range.

I am not one for taking pictures of my firearms laying on the floor or sofa. [wink]They look far better outdoors where they should be. Not propped up in a safe. Also they will never be a good as Rays firearms photos.[laugh]
If your going to MFG to shoot it, let me know when. I'll come and snap a few of you shooting it...and I'll try not to drool on it.[smile]

If your going to MFG to shoot it, let me know when. I'll come and snap a few of you shooting it...and I'll try not to drool on it.[smile]

Pete,
You can of course shoot it. Pictures or not.

I also need to know when you want to send your rifle to be refinished. I want to get mine to them ASAP.

I'm not sure what that means, but I look forward to the pics! After all, that's the best part of this internet thing. [laugh]

It was the laughing icons that made me think you got a kick out of it.

Stoney Pete has offered to take photos. My photo skills are poor at best.[sad]

Too late. I would have advised you to just return it. I will be impressed if they do right by you and send you something worthwhile.
Have to say I agree with you. I've seen a number of reviews of these rifles and the quality seems to be highly variable at best. Some people have gotten nice rifles but there always seems to be some parts that are sub-standard.

FYI to others, here's the website.

Too bad somebody like Fulton Armory doesn't build one. In the meantime, building something on a Mauser platform could be interesting and tons of parts are available.

Hey Fred, let me know also when you're taking it to the range, I'd love to check it out! Maybe I can help Pete with lighting or something, or at least hold a towel under his chin to keep the drool off!. [laugh]

Have to say I agree with you. I've seen a number of reviews of these rifles and the quality seems to be highly variable at best. Some people have gotten nice rifles but there always seems to be some parts that are sub-standard.

FYI to others, here's the website.

Too bad somebody like Fulton Armory doesn't build one. In the meantime, building something on a Mauser platform could be interesting and tons of parts are available.

Guns and Ammo Surplus Firearms edition 2009 gave it very high marks. I have yet to see any articles in print that state differently. I would be interested in seeing them. Could you post them? Or at least the name of the magazine and issue.

As to Fulton Armory I suspect from the prices they charge for their other products I would be able to buy the " real deal". Like most things everybody has their preferences. Thats a good thing. It gives all of us ideas to buy more stuff[smile][smile]
Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom