• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903A3 Front Sight Hood

I recently purchased a 1903A3. In reading about the history of them I found that the Marines used to place a front sight hood on their rifles. I thought that was a good idea so I searched around and found a hood at Sarco Inc. for cheap money.

I got it yesterday and it was not what I expected. Mainly because with the hood on the front sight I find it very hard to aim. The front sight blade is so high in the... hood/globe that I cannot see how it would be usable in the field (so to speak). The blade in the hood does not even come close to being centered as I assumed it would and gets in the way of a what I'd consider a good sight picture.

Did the Marines actually shoot the 1903 with these front sight hoods attached? If so I wonder if I simply did not get an authentic "Marine Type" one. No idea. Just curious. School me please.

Last edited:
Did sarco advertise it as a USMC front sight protector? The USMC used a significantly larger globe than the regularly issued front sight protectors. They aren't cheap.

With USMC examples, the blade should be near dead center in the globe.

Did sarco advertise it as a USMC front sight protector? The USMC used a significantly larger globe than the regularly issued front sight protectors. They aren't cheap.

With USMC examples, the blade should be near dead center in the globe.

No. It was not advertised as a USMC hood. So my bad. I did not realize there was a difference. I am not sure why anyone would want one of these smaller hoods than. They are just about useless. Thanks for the reply.

The front sight protector was not used when soldiers were "in action"; they were chucked. They are basically just to protect the blade. The USMC wanted larger hoods so they could shoot with the FSP on. However, I doubt the larger globe helps all that much because it still cants to either the right or left and kills accuracy, unless one semi-permanently attached it to the barrel, which is probably not a good idea.

The front sight protector was not used when soldiers were "in action"; they were chucked. They are basically just to protect the blade. The USMC wanted larger hoods so they could shoot with the FSP on. However, I doubt the larger globe helps all that much because it still cants to either the right or left and kills accuracy, unless one semi-permanently attached it to the barrel, which is probably not a good idea.

Thanks. I am simply trying to learn more of the history of this great rifle. The hood that I bought cost me $5 +/- so not that big a deal. I like the idea of having a globe on the front sight and figured if the USMC thought it was a good idea why not try it myself.

Looking at USMC original hoods on sales web sites I see they are going for between $70 - $80. Maybe someday I will pursue that but not today. Might also see if someone somewhere makes reproductions.

Digging a bit deeper on the Internet I see folks mentioning that a 1903A3 has a taller front sight blade than the original M1903. I am at the edge of my understanding the difference though as this rifle is new to me. So I wonder if a USMC hood would make a difference at all to what I have already. Not sure.

I rescued a 1903a3 and returned to its original state. Not correct state though.
I found the front sight that originally was on there was to tall so it shot low. I had bill bentz make me up a a shorter sight to raise poi vs poa. I purchased the USMC style front sight blade and hood. Google bill bents front sights you should find his email on one of the links. I cant access it right now.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/131393-midnight-madness-1903a3-project post 7 shows the usmc front sight and hood. This rifle in its past life was a compitition gun out fitted with redfiield rear peep sight and front globe(owner couldn't find it) mid seventies was reblued and out fitted with a traditional stock. Then son try to make it a tactical sniper...thank the surplus gods they kept all the original parts. I replaced the stock with new cmp wood set front sight and globe.

So can you shoot with the usmc hood on. Yes. Is it ideal no. Good for man sized targets yes. I like the wider usmc front blade I had a hard time focusing on the thinner standard blade.

Last edited:
I use the front sight cover on my '31 M03. With the older M03 having notch and post sights it is hard to acquire the front blade, just like a Mauser type sight. I find the cover acts like a later Mauser that is grooved for a hood and this helps me line up the sights easily. Also, the 03 blade is a little smaller than the 03A3 so I can still see it under the hood. I find the large blade and peep combination difficult to center in the M03A3 without the guide wings found on the M1, M1 carbine, and M17. I have a beautiful 03A3, but I don't shoot very good groups with it. Looks like the fat blade in post 7 would work better in the M03A3.

MS

Back
Top Bottom